Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Callie is 7 months old, but she is STILL only semi-housebroken. The only time I can absolutely rely on her to go out and 'go' is first thing in the morning, or if she has been crated for any length of time. Those times, she is like a freight train downhill for the front door, jumping excitedly to go out. There's no mistaking what she wants, and NOW. Then there are two places in the house that she seems to go back to again and again, no matter what I use to clean, and they are carpeted so you can imagine how frustrating this is getting. Especially since we are renting, and the landlord had some reservations about the dogs to begin with!

The situation is complicated by the presence of Kiwi, our 10 year old miniature poodle, who because of a bladder condition often wets in the house. For this reason, he's a kitchen dog (We use a baby gate - he's not allowed on the carpets, only on the hard flooring which gets mopped infinite times a day). I know that Callie must be thinking "If Kiwi can pee in the house, why can't I?"

What has been tried already?
- teaching her to ring a bell to go out (She will sometimes, but not always)
- tethering her to me and taking her out every couple of hours (with limited success)
- treating for successful potty trips
In any case, she is taken to the same spot in the yard each time, and there's no playing until she 'produces'.

Callie is crated at night, and if I have to leave the house. She wouldn't mess her crate for love or money. But I want to be able to enjoy her company, not rely on the crate all the time. She's the fourth dog we've had, but the first puppy. I never dreamed that housebreaking could be such a challenge!

Any ideas?
:?

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I think you have a losing battle if one dog pees in the house and the other isn't suppose to. I think Callie is getting mixed messages.

My daughter's doxie pees in the house and when he would come over to our house he would mark....Tanner would too. Now when her dog visits, I put a band around him (sort of like pants) to prevent his peeing in the house.

If it were your own home you could use a blue light and make sure that all the urine is removed and it might require getting rid of the old carpet. In a rental I am not sure what your options are.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I understand what you are going through. Bailey is 8 months old and I feared he would never get it!! Ringing bells, like yours was a hit and miss - never consistent. He doesn't bark or whine at the door, just sits at the top of the stairs waiting for one of us to bring him to the outside door downstairs. If we don't see him just sitting there, well, he goes downstairs and does his thing. I am now trying to teach him to bark at the door. Sometimes he does, mostly he just sits quietely.

That being said, it does seem like at 8 months he has finally figured out he can't go in the house. I still watch him closely but not obsessively. The big test was a couple of weeks ago when we went to Mexico and the in-laws stayed in our home and cared for Bailey. I thought for sure they wouldn't watch him as closely or know him as I do and he would have many accidents. But he didn't have any and has been good for 1-2 months now. So maybe give it a month or so more before you give up. I know others on this board have had similar long, drawn out housebreaking.

It's funny that you say your other dogs peeing in the house may be complicating things. I completely agree that this would make it much more difficult. My previous dog peed everywhere in the house when she was sick and dying (she had never had an accident prior to this for 12 years!).
We got Bailey 3 mos after her death and I wonder too, if Bailey was slow to learn because he could sense/smell my other dog's accidents despite the thorough clean ups we did.

I wonder if a professional could give you some advice? Maybe even email Ceasar's website or Brain Kilcommons?

Good luck, don't give up, it will come as it finally has with Bailey I think. Oh no, did I just jinx things by saying that?

By the way, have you ever tethered your pup to other things rather then you? I didn't have the patience to tether Bailey to me but did tether him to a chair or post or whatever was handy. Like his crate, he never ever had an accident while leashed and I was able to do some things without obsessively watching him.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I am having a similar problem w/Wrigley, although he's only 4 mos old. My previous 16 yr old dog peed in my daughter's room several times, & we can no longer let Wrigley in there, because he will pee in there every time. He also like to sneak away to pee in my living room, which I now have closed off, but luckily it's wood floors & easy to clean up, but that's his favorite place to keep going. I've been trying to get him to ring the bells, but he doesn't seem to get it. He will often stand at the back door to go out, but we don't always see him there & he doesn't wait long before finding a spot in the house to go in if we don't see him. I let him out at least every hour when I'm home.

He does fine in his crate all night & from 8:30-2:00 while I'm working (he has no water then), but when I'm home he needs to pee constantly.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Don't clean the carpet with anything containing ammonia because it will smell like urine and they will find that spot again...

Can Kiwi wear a doggie diaper?

Honestly... I don't have any real tips.
We haven't had a problem with Sampson...

Sorry I'm not much help! :?

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
OK Peanut was the hardest puppy ever to housetrain with peeing.

1. we learned sometimes she needed to pee 2 times on her potty walk
2. we went back to basics BUT she also didn't have a mature bladder till 6mos. and once she got the hang of it .......WOW a godsend!!!

patience was key, no yelling, just scoop her up and even though she probably finshed on the floor what we were bringing her out to finish,
she got the hint.

ALSO peanut if she played hard with Max , she literally needed to go pee every 15-20min till she was 6.5mos old. I went through almost 3 gallons of Nature's Miracle with her :shock:

Max was completely housebroken right away BUT then he got severe diarrhea for 7 weeks straight and then for the next few months on and off
we had to RE-Train him too with pooping

anyway, back to basics when he wasn't ill ...took a bit of time,

BEAU? he trained in 5 days :shock:

anyway, we also learned our doodles signals were different

pawing us, trying to jump on us or in our lap MEANT POTTY TIME
whether they nap for 2min or 20 min or 2 hours they have to potty each and every time they wake up
also whining or a sharp bark .......potty time

or even the STARE .....they sit and stare ...YUP gotta go potty hahhahaa
that was more when they were younger

sooooooooo nwo i have 3 fully trained doodles and though it was work and frustrating at times well it will happen

just like some kids are potty trained at 2yrs old and others not till they're 3.5years.......all in due time with maturity and training

nature's miracle really does work well on carpets
URINE GONE is also excellent sold at CVS

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
lots of good advice.....
can't add anything, but to know it will eventually get better, with less and less accidents.

hang in there........patience is key!
Nature's Miracle is wonderful, if you haven't used it already!
8)

·
Registered
127 Posts
We're having similar challenges with our Bella who is about 12 weeks old. She's like the Houdini of peeing and pooping in house. You can rarely catch her doing it. She gives no signals whatsoever.

We are crate training her and she has no problems holding it through the night. And when we take her outside she always pees (sometimes multiple times) and poops when expected.

HOWEVER, I'm always finding messes in the house. We've got 2 teens and 3 adults looking after her and we can't stay on top of it. Example, last night we took her out before dinner and she did her business. Then we sat down to eat and she was laying off to the side of the table not 3 feet from me. I got up to get something during dinner and as I'm returning to the table noticed a pile of poo under the table that wasn't there before! When did she even have time to do it? So...we clean that up...very appetizing. Then we're finishing dinner, talking and stuff, and I look off to my left and she's squating having a pee. I yell, "NO, NO, NO" and hurry outside (where she doesn't do anything because she's done).

We're reaching a limit of patience and understanding. I've never had a dog that didn't let me know when it had to go. At least then I felt it was our fault if we didn't get them outside because we weren't paying attention to the signals. But with no signals at all.... :( :?: Could it be because she's so young? We got our Great Dane at 10 weeks and he only had like 2 messes in the house in total.

Any advice would be appreciated :!:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
It sounds like you are doing all the right things, really, like rushing her outside even though she is probably all through peeing. Loudly saying NO! and scooping her up....then straight outside.

Just as Annmarie said above, Bella sounds like she has an immature bladder still....If possible, taking her outside every 30 minutes to potty, even if she doesn't go....I think sort of trains her to go on command and she begins to establish the schedule....After she has master 30 minutes without going inside, then try waiting 45 minutes, etc. Tethering her to you, or nearby, works too..... for two to three days, or use the crate and that should really get the point across. Stay on the time schedule with her tethered....let pee while still on the leash and come right back in. This is serious business....reward with treats and/or play when she goes. Then right back to keeping her nearby for another 30 minutes. Maybe she is already able to wait longer than that....but start somewhere and commit to intensive potty training for a few days.

I had to set a timer....cause 30 minutes can fly by around here unnoticed.
It seemed to help Abby and she finally quit going in the house. She was harder than Coco to train....but the consistency of times outside helped.
It didn't take long and she had it down. I guess she was 16 weeks though before she was truly not having accidents in the house.

They both do all the signals Annmarie mentioned to try to get me to
know they need to go out. I am an expert at "tuning out" when I get really busy...and both my kids and dogs know that about me. The kids quit calling me mom, cause I don't even hear that name....and loudly call me "JANE!!" The poor dogs have to climb on my lap and sharply bark at me to bring me out of what ever I am concentrating on....Poor dears!
I am more responsive.... faster than I used to be.....but then, I am not doing the same sort of work anymore either.
Hope you find a solution....with time, and consistency they learn.
I always used to encourage myself during potty training with the kids...
by recognizing I had never seen a healthy 6 year old child still in diapers. Not that they never had an accident....but..........
Hang in there!
8)

G

·
Once she learns potty outside is good she will signal. When I got Maya (I got her at 16 weeks) she knew potty outside was good however she didn't know how to tell me she had to go. No she will go stand by the "potty door" when she has to go. If I don't notice she will pace back and forth and come get me. If we are sleeping she will whine until I let her out. It took us about a month and then were in sync.

I am not sure if you are doing this but:
-use the same door every single time.
-have a big celebration every time she goes outside. Lots of loud praise and treats. Tell her what a good girl she is
-times you can't watch (like dinner) put her in her crate.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Wrigley has finally gotten the picture about going outside instead of sneaking away in our living room to go. We are not always able to see him easily at the door he goes out at, but he has started to growl/whine at the door a bit when he needs to go out, at 4 1/2 mos now.
We've been working with the bells at the door also, I make him ring them every time, but he still hasn't gotten the picture that he needs to make a big noise w/them. He just touches them w/his nose & often we cannot hear it.

If anyone has any tips on teaching him how to really make the bells ring so we can hear them, please let me know.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts