Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OKAY.. Well The first few days with Charlie were fine, He only had one accident and that was my fault because I fell asleep on the couch and wasnt watching him. But this week.. :x grrr.. its like EVERYTiME i turn around he pees on the floor, then i correct him put him out in the back yard. He has done it 2 times today and i dont know what to do anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Someone PLEASE give me so tips or just say something to keep me sane! I l0ve him so much already but im gettin aggrivated at this, I have a baby gate blocking off the back of the house with the carpet and i dont want to keep him on the leash all day.

Support PLEASE, before I go crazy! :roll:

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
First off how old is he? If he isn't very old it takes a while for their little bladders to be able to go for very long. Somtimes just when you think you have them broke they have an accident, :oops: it's all part of the puppy stage just try and be patient and don't give up he will get it just like a light comes on and they get it. The leash is a good way to break them I know you said you don't want to do that but it works.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Start taking him out when you think he might need to go. Say "go potty!" and when he does PRAISE him like crazy!

If he goes in the house pick him up and say "NO" while you run him outside. Then when he finishes outside again with the praise... even treats too if you want to.

He will soon learn that he is supposed to go outside.

Do you have a cue for him to let you know when he needs to go out?

Some here use a bell that they ring with the puppy's nose before they take him out, and then pretty soon he is ringing the bell on his own.

We just have Sammy sit by the door. She has a very Purposeful sit when she wants to be let out, and its very clear to us that its a "I need to go out" sit rather than just lounging around. She sits tall and pretty and STARES at us. LOL

The only time we get into trouble is if we ignore a sit because we think "wasnt she just out?!" after that we hope for whimpers but she still has accidents occasionally (2 times this month, but she does have a bladder infection so who can blame her!)

I think Sammy was 12 weeks when we went an entire week without an accident. Just keep at it and buy jugs of Natures Miracle!

·
Registered
424 Posts
I would suggest you make REALLY sure you are cleaning up the accidents with an enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle that removes all of the smell. Ordinary cleaners don't - the dog can still smell it even though we can't - and they will return to the same spot again and again to pee, inside the house or not!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He is 4 months old and fixed. I mean we do use the leash alot but i hate to have it on him all the time especailly when he wants to play with my other pets. I dont want him to have to be tied up all the time! But i guess if that is the only thing that will work.. :(

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just saw the other posts, I didnt even see them earlier! My schnauzer and cat -he has a litter box but would rather go outside- will go to the door and wait.. Or if I ask my schnauzer if she has to outside she get all excited and runs back and forth :D How does this been thing work? What is it exactly, is it nailed on the door or what? I deffinately have to figure something out!

How old is Sammy?

·
Registered
45 Posts
potty training

Hi!
I feel for you - potty training can be SO FRUSTRATING :!: :? My
sweet Doodle girl [Reagan] was a rescue from a horrific pet store where
she was forced to go to the bathroom in her tiny cage. :cry: When I
brought her home she was extremely sick - so normal housetraining had
to be delayed. I started as soon as her recovery would allow - but it
did not go well. Although I did everything the experts[and others] suggested, she just couldn't get the hang of it. [ She REFUSED to poop
outside-EVER] I was at my wits end - so my vet suggested a behaviorist.
To make a long story shorter - the behaviorist explained that Reagan
would have to be 're-surfaced' trained. She learned to eliminate on smooth surfaces, and she thought she was doing the right thing. Resurface
training is difficult - and requires a great deal of time and attention
to succeed. I knew I wasn't the person to do it [I'm a push-over
with boundry issues :) ] so, I enrolled her in Puppy Potty Camp.
18 days later
she was housetrained. It took her longer due to the 'surface' issues,
and most puppys take less time. It was one of the best investments I've ever made :!:
It saved my sanity - but more important - Reagans spirit and confidence :D Puppy Potty Camp Rules :!: :!: :D
I wish you good luck - and sanity :wink:
Julee, Reagan&Lincoln

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you sooooooooo much for that Julee! I wonder if I can find a potty camp around here. That sounds EXCELLENT!! Charlie will not go in his crate even though he was in a small shelter cage. I thank God for that, and he wont poop inside.. only pee.

But I went and got some stuff to take the pee smell out and that is what im going to do tonight, ELIMINATE ODOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOO! fun, eh? :wink:

·
Registered
45 Posts
What kind did you buy? Only a few really work. I always used
Nature's Miracle, but I just found out it's not the same formula as before.
The original is now under a different name- but I can't remember it. I will
call my vet in the morning and find out. He swears it is the only one that
really works. Also, I will try and find out if there are any potty camps in
your area. Send me an IM with your city and zip -it will help the search.
Julee

1 - 9 of 9 Posts