Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello doodle experts -- i hope you'll have some helpful hints for me!

so i got my puppy sammy almost 2 weeks ago, she'll 13 weeks old now. since she got home we've been working hard on potty training using the "umbilical cord" method - she's constantly tethered to me or to something in a room where i can watch her, and i take her out everytime she starts sniffing around (and after naps, eating, playing, etc). she has done reasonably well, although still having an average of one accident in the house per day (usually when i was not paying close enough attention or did not move fast enough). i also tried getting her to ring a bell to let me know she wanted to go out, but she just kept pulling on it and playing around so i abandoned that plan.
ANYWAYS... all that background to say that yesterday morning when i was taking her out after a very snowy night i sprained my ankle badly! the poor dog was so startled when i started crying and she was very well behaved while i waited for my ride to the hospital. because i couldn't take her out, she peed and pooped in the house which of course made me very sad - but i know she had to go.
so, i am now laid up on the couch for a few days and was wondering what i should do to best continue my housebreaking program -- i live alone, and while i have friends and a boyfriend who is devoted to sammy, they can't be here all day long. she is also shyer about going to the bathroom with others, so we had another accident in the house as well. i just don't want her to forget everything she learned if i can't get her out when she needs to go! this morning i had my boyfriend take her out several times and play, and then i crated her until someone else can come help - but i don't want her in the crate all day long!
any ideas or suggestions? (hopefully this is not a long term problem, but the next few days could be crucial since i've only had her for 2 weeks)

·
Registered
260 Posts
we have a 13.5 week old puppy at home right now and are also working on housebreaking. at this age, a puppy should be able to "hold it" for about 4 hours at a time during the day.

you didn't mention in your post whether you're completely unable to take your puppy outside, or if you want to minimize the number of times you have to go out. assuming you can't really walk at all, but can find/hire someone to help you take care of the puppy, i see nothing wrong with confining your puppy to her crate for 3- or 4-hour intervals during the day (with a break for potty, lunch and playtime in between), and then giving her more freedom in the evening when your boyfriend can come over to help out.

you didn't say how often you were taking your puppy out before your accident, but more crate time might actually make housebreaking easier, as it will help her learn how to "hold it" for longer during the day. it will also help her learn how to be alone in her crate.

-em

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks em, i am glad to be reassured she won't immediately forget everything ;-) i think i was just feeling overwhelmed. i did have her crated for about 3-4 every day in the last week or so, to get her used to it, since i am in and out of the house most days - she does pretty well in the crate but she can tell i am still home and whines to come out and play (which i don't do, she's on my schedule ;-) she's not had an accident in the crate yet, so hopefully that won't happen.... oh, and i know she can 'hold it' - she sleeps for almost 8 hours a night without a peep! i can walk a little bit, but am not really supposed to put weight on my foot, which makes it difficult to take her out...

also, just wanted to let you know i ended up using the vet hospital your recommended here in ann arbor and they were SO nice. sammy actually got a burr in her eyebrows (no other way to describe it) and we couldn't comb it out without her totally freaking out, so we took her in and they were so nice about it and only charged us $5 even though it was after hours!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts