Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few potty questions. First, is there a supplement I can give Charlie so his pee won't kill my grass? I thought I had heard of something in the past that changes the acidity of his pee or something. Also, Charlie tends to "walk" around while he's doing his duty, making it a pain to scoop up after him. Does any one have any tips of what I can do to made him stay put while he poos?

·
Registered
985 Posts
I think there are commercial preparations you can buy in places like Petsmart that will help protect your grass. I had heard that tomato juice added to the food would do that, and tried it a very long time ago with a previous dog, but I don't recall that it had much effect. Could just have been that dog, because yeast protected one of our setters from fleas but not the other.

Can you get Charlie to relieve himself in a place where scooping is easier, or where you just don't care if it stays there? You have to be careful, of course, because making an issue out of it could suggest to him that maybe indoors or away from your watchful eye is a better idea when nature calls. Chouette does nice, neat piles, but we still try to aim for the border by the river, where there's a thick natural hedge of grasses and bushes at the edge of the lawn.

We do scoop it up, too, and put it in a Doggie Dooley sunken into the ground, where we can add enzymes so that it breaks down.
Leslie

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Potty

I've heard of the tomato juice too. I guess i'll just try to hose down the are after he goes to see if that helps.

Our problem with the other issue is we have a tiny tiny yard, so it is hard to direct him to a certain area. Walking him in the park a few houses down is an option, but unfortunatly, you don't know when nature is going to call. He was out playing with the kids the other day and decided it was toime to go, right in the middle of the yard where the kids were playing. What's making this an issue is that since we adopted him Friday, his stooles have been very very loose, which make it hard to scoop up. If they were normal, it wouldn't be a problem at all. I'm hoping it was all the vaccines he got right before we picked him up causing the loose stooles, I hope it's not going to be like this all the time.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Regarding the enzymes that you can add to diet to help with brown spots on the lawn, my vet told me last week of dog that was poisoned by these when his owner thought that t a little was good and a lot was better....I opt for the brown spots.

I also think it is best not to make a fuss over where he poops right now. Tanner tends to go in the same place each time now that he is older. I find that a walk 5-10 minutes after meal time and he will poop on the walk...easy to clean up, throw away and saves the yard.

Regarding the loose stools, you may want to have a stool check just to make sure he doesn't have any parasites...not unusual at all...most of us have gone through that. Also, what are you feeding him...that can also make loose stools and larger stools. The higher grade of food, the less the poop :wink:

·
Registered
985 Posts
I'm sure Charlie's stools will get firmer once he settles in. What are you feeding him? Canidae works well with Chouette and a lot of other people on the forum like it. Seems to produce fewer and firmer products!

Brian Kilcommons, who writes books on dog training and behavior, says that you can walk a dog on a small circuit about the size of a bathtub and just wait for it to go there, using cue words like "Hurry up" or whatever you like. We keep walking until she squats and then stop til she finishes. He says that you can ignore the tugs to go to that "better" spot five steps off the circuit, because it's not better, but just keep to your path. We don't follow those instructions that closely because it's not a real issue for us, but they might be helpful for you. On the other hand, if Charlie's off leash it doesn't apply.

Leslie

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
as far as loose stools go it could be transition, but do watch them. You may want to have his stool checked for parasite and make sure you are feeding a quality food preferably without corn if possible. Some doodles have a sensitive stomach and Nutro, candidae and even costcos kirkland brand have been successful helping with loose stools for a lot of owners here.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had bought a small bag of Purina Dog Chow ahead of picking him up not knowing what the shelter was feeding him, which wound up being Iams (green bag). We tried the Purina for about a day and a half and he didn't like it, so we got him some Iams like he was eating at the shelter. He has had some firmer droppings, but it seems like it is on and off, but mostly the loose variety. I know the shelter gave him his vaccines and checked for heart worm, but i don't know if they checked for other parasites. I'll give it a couple days before I get too worried about it. It's just a pain cleaning it up. I'm hoping it's just the transition and that it will work itself out.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Leslie, can you tell me what a Doggie Dooley is?? I've never heard of one before but it sounds like a great idea!

·
Registered
985 Posts
Linn said:
Leslie, can you tell me what a Doggie Dooley is?? I've never heard of one before but it sounds like a great idea!
Here's a link from an Amazon page with several types of holding tanks. Ours is the green 2000 model, and is mostly buried in the ground; you step on the lid to open it and deposit fresh material!

http://www.amazon.com/Doggie-Dooley-380 ... 67-4294266

Leslie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts