Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone bred a black standard poodle mom with a reddish Golden Retriever papa? I am just wondering what color pups may come from that combination?

Any experience anyone has had would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Probably black. Black is the dominant color, however, each dog will carry other colors too so it depends.
By the way, welcome to the forum!
Maureen is our color expert...I'll defer to her comments...but in the meantime, you could check the VetGen site to read about colors. It is very complicated.
If you are a breeder and will be wanting this info often, you can contact VetGen for a DNA sample kit and find out what your dog carries. I did this with the vWD test and it was a little less money for both...yet it is still rather expensive.
http://www.vetgen.com/canine-coat-color.html

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Since you are breeding a golden to a poodle you are out of my league, I don't know how the color genetics work with them and poodles, :? I can say this some black for sure if not all, that's about all I know about that. Holly raises a lot of goldendoodles so maybe she can answer this one. :? Sorry no help here but welcome to the forum!!! :D

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
The only thing I know about this particular topic (Golden to a Poodle) is that my friend (Molly in this forum) bred a chocolate Poodle (Chase's sister, and Chase carries NO black) to a cream colored Goldendoodle who has a black nose and every one of her dozen puppies was black! Adorable, darling puppies, but every one was black. Neither parent was. Weird, huh?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Color

I'm no expert, having not yet arrived at the color chapter in the Genetics book, but it's my understanding that the chocolate color is due to a dilution factor on black.

If a chocolate is bred to a dog with a black nose, there are likely to be plenty of black puppies, because the dog with the black nose does not carry the dilution gene? Or is it recessive, so the pups would need to inherit the dilution gene from both parents? Is the rose nose also a recessive that requires inheritance from both parents?

Any experts want to weigh in on this one?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts