Labradoodle Forums banner

Should Puppy Pictures Be Allowed?

• Yes, I don't see the harm

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, it looks too much like advertising

• Yes, but only in a special area (birth announcements)

• Not sure!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've received quite a few messages recently about the posting of puppy pictures.

As you all know, advertising litters in the forum is NOT permitted. However, we have permitted the posting of puppy pictures, as part of "discussions".

Here's the question of the day:

Do you think "puppy pictures" should be permitted, or is this crossing the line into the realm of self-promotion?

I'm also considering putting a "Birth Announcements" category in the breeder forum, and only allowing Senior Members to post there.

Ideas/suggestions welcome.

G

·
I love the idea of a birth announcement area. That's a great idea! I have been a member for about a year now and I really don't see any of the breeders advertising their litters but to keep it fair and birth announcement section would be great.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I like the idea of special area of birth announcements that way it's easier to see and breeders feel relief that they're not breaking the rules of advertising.

so one area would be great.

Question:
1. what constitutes a senior member, just the number of posts?
I am curious as the only thing that makes me nervous is opening a door for backyard breeders to self-promote.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Senior members are defined by number of posts.

I'm discovering some limitations in our forum software, but I think I can make it so that the "birth announcments" is only viewable/postable by senior members.

Backyard breeders cannot be eliminated completely (we're wanting to work on that, too), but if they must reach a certain post threshhold before announcing a litter, and if they know that casual new visitors will not be able to see the announcement, I think we can eliminate most of the advertising benefits of an "announcement".

In other words, only forum veterans will see it, be able to post, and new people who drop by looking for a breeder won't see the litter announcements.

Make sense?

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
thanks MARK...makes sense to me :D

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
i luv pictures..the more the better :)

i think a Member s Doodles Show and Tell Section would
be great..

perhap s an Available Pups Section may be in order for
breeder s and an nominal fee be charged for the maintenance
of the site..and that terms like:
*ready to go home*
*available by*
*see pup s at my site*..etc. not be used in all other forums
except in *available pups* section..NOT TO SAY that breeder s could nt
post pictures elsewhare..ie,*these are sheilas puppies, born May*

this would funnel interest from members seeking a puppy
to a single section rather than posting all over the site asking
for puppies.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Mark a birth announcement area is a great idea

I love seeing everyones puppies when they are born and as they grow until they go to their new families.

I've yet to see anyone advertise their puppies, they have just been sharing their bundles of joy with everyone

Super idea ! :D

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm new here, but thought I would put my two cents in. I think the Birth Announcement section is a fantastic idea for those members who want to post pictures and even having it as "senior status only to post" is a good idea because by then, hopefully there is a feeling of "knowing" someone better than a total newcomer to the board. I don't feel that you should have to be a "senior" to view it though. IMO, there is already an element of trust here for someone looking to add a doodle to their family, and if by looking at a member's new puppies allows us that chance, then I say great!

·
Registered
398 Posts
I can understand your concern, but as I have just reached senior status, I would have been disappointed if I couldn't view the puppies, while I was waiting for my own to be ready to come home. :cry:
I just reread the question. We all would be able to see the pictures just not post to the board - Is that correct? If so then that would be fine with me.

The breeders here already have links to their websites on the board and if someone is interested in their puppies, they should have no problem going to the breeders site and getting information.

As long as Prices and Terms are not listed, you are only really sharing pictures and sometimes you mention that there are some available. I don't see any problem with that.

I like the section of birth announcements as it would provide one place to see all the cute little puppies. :D

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
hallm said:
Backyard breeders cannot be eliminated completely (we're wanting to work on that, too), but if they must reach a certain post threshhold before announcing a litter, and if they know that casual new visitors will not be able to see the announcement, I think we can eliminate most of the advertising benefits of an "announcement".
I think it's a perfect solution.

Yes, we all like to see puppy photos, and watch their growth and development, but we also need to put the cuteness factor to the side and look at it through Mark's eyes. He's trying very hard to strike a balance between his plans for the website and forum, with the members' desire to post and look at new litters. I think that it's an added testament to Mark that he even posted a poll and wanted member feedback...as an admin, he really didn't have to do that.

In light of all this, I think we should support Mark and be willing to try something that may be a little different. Just MHO....

·
Registered
66 Posts
I guess I better do a lot more posting to UP my status so I can see PUPPIES!!

...although I understand the reasoning behind the concept in restricted posting and viewing, I do not fully agree with it. I honestly don't think people are reading these forums to find puppies...they are here because they are fascinated by their own dogs and the breed in general.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Great idea to have a birth announcements area. I like that. I just love to get my puppy fix.

I would think maybe in the birth announcements area a place or the same place they can show them at four weeks, six weeks. I just love how fast they grow. Just a idea.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Mark, it seems you've put a lot of thought into this and I for one appreciate it. I am a puppy photo addict, but I understand your concerns and what could possibly happen if there weren't guidelines and rules. I believe the birth announcement area would be the best solution for all concerned.

I say LETS SEE THOSE PUPPIES!!

Thanks again Mark for putting this up for a vote....that way we all seem like part of the one big family of doodle crazies that we are!! :wink:

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Something to consider is how many of the advirtisers that pay for this site to opperate are regular posters, who if allowed would not pay and just use the birth announcement section. we dont want to lose advertisers and risk the site overall.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I agree that it may be a good idea to limit posting in these sections to senior members, but I do not agree with restricting reading/viewing this section...I think it should be open to everyone...that's my vote :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I know that I love seeing the puppy pictures. Not allowing me to post is not an issue since I don't breed doodles. I'd hate to not be able to see the photos though.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I love the idea of the birth announcement section and I understand the need for restrictions. It seems like a good balance.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts