Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to a local snake Saturday Parade and saw the cutest little black dog. It reminded me of my Nezzie as a Puppy...It was about 35lbs smaller dog..but had the doodle look .
I asked the young girl if she had a doodle...Slightly insulted young woman informed me it was a Portuguese Water dog....I told her it reminded me of my labradoodle ...Her mom chirped in well he is part Portuguese Water dog but mother was a poodle ...
I laughed ..even we doodle people are somewhat elitist.....

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
The first time I saw a portuguese water dog I totally thought it was a labradoodle. I wonder what that would look like bred to a poodle...did it have very very curly hair?

G

·
When we first got Bella and took her to the park, there was little girl (about 6) there who asked if she was a Portuguese Water Dog. She knew EVERYTHING about them and said Bella looked exactly like one. (Her Grandmother had 2) :D .

·
Registered
162 Posts
I almost got a PWD & can totally imagine a PWD/poodle mix would look just like a labradoodle.

Last week at the lake, someone asked me if dizzy Ms. Lizzie was an Irish Wolfhound! HAHAHA She is soooooooo not irish or wolfish for that matter! To their credit, she was wet so her fur was sticking to her & she looked really leggy. Too funny.

LizziesMom

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I can see why sometimes others would mistake a wavy wiry haired doodle (if tall like DENVER) could be ALMOST mistaken for a irish wolfhound. I had someone bring theirs to work recently to show me hahahhaa

NOW if I put peanut up on a toy shelf she'd look like a stuffed animal

Has anyone read the articles on the web about why they dont' use the portguese water dogs for doodle breeding? they say it's temperament. That retrievers and poodles produce a much nicer friendlier tempermant

·
Registered
162 Posts
I was going to mention that but didnt want to offend any PWD fans. When I was researching the breed, I ran across alot of warnings i.e. "this breed is for experienced dog owners" & got the distinct impression the PWDs were a bit dominant & nervous.

Of course, this is COMPLETELY unlike our doodles. Ya know what they say...doodles just wanna have fun!

LizziesMom

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
We're working on that...usually just makes him howl like a bear! Her day will come! I'm really beginning to think she's not going to get much bigger. Still hasn't really gained any weight since I've had her. Eats like a little piggie. Not that I need her to get as big as jonah...or Colorado.... :wink:

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I love the Irish Wolfhound I have always wanted one, but the smell and shed and size were a little to much!! So when I saw first generation Labradoodle I immediately thought mini wolfhound! Yeehaw!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
hey Gene tell MIKO to get ahold of Jonah's beard---he'll cry uncle :shock: then learn real fast to outmanuever her like Max does with peanut hahhahahhahaa

we no longer blow puppy coats here, nope they just help each other by pulling puppy coats out by mistake :roll: of course this is all in fun playtime.

EEtubs...like how OTHER breeds are recommeded for Experienced Owners hahhaha NEVER a warning on Doodles needing experinced warped sense of humor owners. :wink:

SUE Denver is wins paws down of course!!! :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
PWD's and Doodles

I took in a rescue PWD years ago. The dog had a difficult start in life and I gave him my all! He was neurotic, needed to be skin close all the time, seperation anxiety that was not treatable with any intervention known to the dog psychologist I worked with. I learned more about the breed through the PWD Society in my state. They are not easy to raise, and after biting my son when he came to visit, I had to put the poor fellow down. In thinking about my next dog, a PWD was NOT the breed I wanted. My Doodle boy Sammy is now two years old, and a delight! He is sensitive and loyal, very easy to train, funny and playful, and so smart he likes to outfox me at times. I'm so grateful to others for sharing the delights of this breed. I love Sammy more than I ever imagined I could love a companion animal.
Maggie and Sam

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
sorry to hear you had to go thru that maggie. the flip side is though you now have a most lovable doodle in you and your famiy's life (like the rest of us) :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts