Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, a while back Riley started growing a little extra skin below the chin, we thought nothing of it. Halloween morning it felt really hard and looked extra big. Once I was off to school, my mom called the vets and took Riley in right away. The vet said he had cut his throat open and it filled with water and puss so he had to go get surgery :(. He was in surgery for about 3 very long hours. My sister went and got Riley and I didnt get to see him for another three hours. He has stints in his neck so everything can drain we had to blood proof the house...:(

Please keep Riley in your prayers.

Lauren

G

·
OMG Lauren! I'm sorry to hear about Riley. I'm definitely cheering for him to pull through!! Did you find out how he had cut his throat???

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

No, we dont know what it was, but we know what it could have been-rock, clam, stick....bone. Anything sharp...

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks you guys. He is definately doing better than yesterday and early this morning, he was dripping a ton of blood then. He is so sad but he is still running around, although he isnt supposed to.

thanks again guys, Lauren

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Lauren, I just now read this post and I am heartsick for you and poor Riley! I am glad that he is feeling better and very glad that you were able to get him to a vet for help.

You know, the strange thing about dogs is that they don't show weakness...when they are hurt, you don't know it (unless is it almost unbearable) because in the wild they become easy prey for other animals if they are weak...so as much as it hurt him, he never would show the pain over his cut, which is probably why you didn't really notice it.
Once Bayley (when she was about 2 months old) was playing, running and chasing around with Lexie. She ran into an old planter box and really yelped... a lot... by the time I got outside she had stopped yelping and I brought her in...put her on the bed with me. She was acting normal so I thought she must have just run into something that hurt her but was okay now. Yet, as I was petting her, I noticed that there was a chunk of hair missing...and a gigantic cut! She didn't show any signs of pain!

She needed 15 stitches...and it must have really hurt her, but other than the initial yelping, she showed no sign of pain.

My point is that you could not have known about Riley's cut unless you were actually looking for something...and also I want to say this as a warning to other dog owners to be very aware of your dog...examine them regularly...you just never know what you might discover.

Thank God you found Riley's cut and got it fixed. I am sorry he hurts now, but I am so glad that he is healing well!

My prayers join the others...for Riley and for you!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
yes please dont feel bad. I left my 4 pound poodle at home while the electrician was working in the bathroom, when I came back Angus (the dogs name!) was favoring his right leg but he ate and drank normal and just kinda wanted to be left alone. After two days he was still favoring it so I called the electrician who then told me "maybe" my dog got a little too close to the drill and "maybe" he got a little fur caught in it. So 72 hours after the fact and just a little limp here is what I found.....

dont look if you dont like yucky wounds....

it is amazing what these dogs can conceal or make look not bad. Angus had two surgeries for this and the electrician paid for them

here it is stitched up, I took camera phone pictures because the vet was shocked at the amount of damage. The sad part was because Angus did a good job of staying strong with just a slight limp by the time I figured out what had happened most of the skin in the area had died off and that was why so much work was required.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Jac said:
Oh, my God!
yeah thats what I thought. this is the same dog that got bit by a dog when he was a baby. he is such an awesome dog, but has a few issues lets say. he is of course my baby. I am going to put up a picture of him so you can get his owie pictures out of your head, I do have to say I was furious at the electrician for a very very long time. And mad at myself for not taking him in sooner.

G

·
He is sooooo adorable. I am glad he is OK!
Lauren, I am thinking about Riley today! They recover sooo fast, just like children.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys.

well lets see...yesterday, riley had been scratching at his wound. it started to bleed but not too bad so we called the vet and they told us its fine and to just clean it up with soap and neosporin.

today....yippee! finally, the stints were taken out. but poor riley, he didnt want them near his neck and just kept pulling away. sad part is, they dont put in stitches in place of the tubes, or stints, so its just too big holes in his neck...poor baby. he lies in his crate all the time because he's so sad and in so much pain. he is also very bored because he isnt allowed to run...

i feel so bad and helpless...

:cry:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Lisa. Riley is very agitated, he can never find a comfortable way to lay. i feel so bad...

thanks, lauren

i will keep you posted.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Don't feel bad...I know it is hard not to...but Riley is getting better...thanks to you! I am happy that he is healing so well!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks jac and jamie. he is definately doing better than when he first had the surgery. thanks for the support and prayers everyone

1 - 20 of 28 Posts