Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Otto is awful off the leash, when we call him he wont come and my husband spent one hour trying to catch him. He has been to puppy class and obeyed in class, BUT outside is a different matter, any advice on this subject would be appreciated

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Our trainer suggested using the leash whenever you take them out. Tie a rope (long piece 20' or so) to the leash and when you give the come command and they don't, start reeling them in repeating "come". Give them lots of praise when they reach you. Keep doing this till they get it. Good luck. It is hard when there are so many fun things in the yard! Our two (7 mo and 4 mo) do the same thing it is frustrating!!!! They are partners in (come) crime! Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I have a friend that runs a hunt club--he raises and trains his own dogs. He, as Gracielou said, trains his dogs to come by giving them the "come command" (once) and then walking away from them. Dakota's obedience instructor recommended the long lead, give the "come command" only once and then real them in. When they "arrive", praise and treat them. Using either technique, Dakota understands the "come command" perfectly, and when wants to, he will come. When he doesn't want to . . . :evil: . . . teenagers! :roll:
Diane (and Dakota)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is hard to use a rope on a beach when he is playing ruff and tumble with other dogs, he will come when alone, but not when he is having fun, we walk away and he follows but as soon as we try to put the leash back on he runs off again. I need help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or never let him off the leash

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am having the same problem with Maddie. She is 8 months old and has started this "game" We call it the cut and run. She knows very well the come command, she just wants to come inside when SHE wants to. :evil:
So, she will stand still and stare at us. When you go to get her, she waits until you are about 1 foot from her...and....cuts and runs.....I am going to try the long rope technique and see if that helps. If anyone else has any suggestions I would really appreciate it. I hate to see a dog tied, but I don't always have time to wait her out if she is suppose to do her business and come back in.

I walk her everyday for about 2 miles in the morning. She gets lots of outside play time. I do not chase her when she starts this, am trying not to encourage the "game". I usually just turn and go inside the house and wait for her to come to the door...

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I would have areally good, stinky treat in hand when he comes to distract him while you grab his collar and put the leaxh on. Or have you tried one of the leashes used in dog shows, you just slip it over his head and shug it up? Maybe this would work. Good luck and let us know what you find that works.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Archie is at the age where he likes to play "chase". If I walk towards him he will walk away but if I stand firm and point to the ground and say "Come Archie" in a stern voice, he always comes to me. Of course, I always praise him and give him lots of loving when he comes to me. So far, he is really doing good with the "come" command. The worse thing you can do is join the chase.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I sure wish I knew the answer on this one. But I don't. LOL. George "comes," "drops," and "leaves it." He even will (usually) stop chasing the cat on command. Grace only comes if she feels like it. Absolutely does the "cut and run" thing. I believe it IS a game to her. She's got a mischievous sparkle in her eye. But I can almost always get her to come by getting a tennis ball and tossing it up and down with my back turned to her. But that isn't really coming on command!.....

George and Grace are littermates, raised and trained in exactly the same way. So it's definitely not attributed entirely to my brilliance as a trainer (LOL) or my failure as a trainer (so far). There's definitely a temperament/personality component. I keep trying with Gracie and I hopefully will always outsmart her. But it sure is frustrating!!

We use an underground fence to keep them both on our property, but outside the yard Grace is NEVER off leash unless I'm ready to pay the price.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
this evening we took otto to the park, went into the tennis court and closed the gate as there was no-one about. We let him off the leed and he played ball having fun always coming back with the ball untill we tried to put his lead back on, then it was the runner. I had baked some liver for him for treats and he loves this, so I had some in my pocket and he came for it and I was able to clutch his coller, but this is hard work

·
Registered
164 Posts
This is definately hard work, but it seems we are all in the same boat here!. My 14 month old doodle still runs off from us sometimes but after reading this post I've got some things to try.

I would like to see him at the point where he can walk freely at the beach and park. I see lots of other dogs doing it and I just wish mine did too..

Over the winter we decided to let him off his leash at the park to play in the snow. He ran all over the place and would not come back. My husband made the mistake of running after him. That was a big NO NO! Leno took it as a game and just kept running. Finally my husband stopped and I said to him to run back the other way, and it worked. And we've tried several times on secluded beaches to give him the freedom off a leash, but he takes off. He knows the come command, but damn this is frusterating!

This forum is great...gives you comfort knowing you arent the only one!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have been told by friends this is the reason they have stopped trying to train the doodle as a guide dog, as their recall is poor

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just want to say that I tried the idea of putting a long rope on Maddie when she goes out. This has seemed to work very well! I have about a 15 ft. rope tied to the end of her leash. It is not tied to anything, so she is allowed to wander. I think it is psychological, but she does not cut and run with the rope on. If she does, I can step on the rope, and have instant control. Thanks for the advise!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Otto nevers runs away from me in his own garden only when he is at the park or the beach, BUT Otto likes to play catch with the ball and brings it back for more, he mouths the ball as then I need to take it from his mouth. I did this a few times after playing fetch, then started to play catch the ball in his mouth, while he was mouthing the ball for me to take I managed to leash him, this might only work for a while until he realises what I am doing, I have tried to confuse him by useing two balls

1 - 14 of 14 Posts