Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, well today was quite eventful...
I was playing softball with a friend of mine in the front yard while Rowen was playing with Baron in the backyard. Rowen somehow managed to keep escaping from the backyard to get to me, so finally after he got out of our fence the first two times I thought I had secured it just right so that it wouldn't be possible for him to get out... Well, he managed to escape again and came running up to me (luckily we live on a cul-de-sac). At first i was exasperated that he had gotten out again, but when he got closer i noticed he had a HUGE gash on his left hind knee. It was about 4 or more inches long and was bleeding quite a bit. Our fence is made out of a wooden frame with dog wire over it, so I'm assuming he got caught by it on his way squeezing out through the gate. We immediately rushed him to the emergency vet where we got some good news that he didn't hit any major veins, just a bunch of capillaries.. but of course I was worried because he's my boy. They sutured him up and put him on a lot of drugs and had us come back around 8 to pick him up. When we got there he was completely out of it and whining on the floor with a cone on his head, so of course I picked him up and he stopped whining- which at least made me feel a little bit better. The whole vet clinic (and when i say whole, i mean whole! haha) was very empathetic and kind. Currently, he's on the couch quietly whining.. So I'm going to hang out with tonight, just thought I'd keep you all updated. (sorry that it's so long!)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
ohhhhhhhhhhh poor baby!! so glad you rushed to ER and when does the cone come off ...in a week? did they do stiches or staples?

and how are YOU holding up?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Awww... your poor baby! Do you think he is uncomfortable or annoyed about that stupid cone? Is he still wearing it? I don't think I'd be too happy about having a cone around my head. :cry:

I guess the moral of the story is that you better let him play softball with you next time. :wink:

Deb

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Pooooor baby! That would be so scary!!
Glad he's home & relaxing and nothing was worse.
How's he taking to the cone?..........LOL..........any dog I've had one of those on was always freaked out and ticked off. They just sometimes sit there like we have totally humiliated and violated them. The look is incredible!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Rowan ... poor sweetie ... be real quiet, look very pitiful and maybe your FoodLady will take the cone off you. :?

Then just don't lick your boo boo! :shock:

I had to have a nail removed and they put one on me! I hated it! :twisted:
So went on best behavior and my FoodLady took it off ... two days later I chewed it up! Just in case they wanted to use it again! :evil:

Get better soon ... I am sending lots of puppy love from Cincinnati!

Woofs and Licks ... Your Friend .... Ebbe

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
awwwh poor Rowen - what a scary story. If you're going to be around to supervise, maybe try taking the cone off for a bit - that may be causing him to be distressed. We didn't need a cone for the neuter of either dog.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Poor Baby! I know Mommy will take good care of you, and hope you feel better really soon! Maya has the right idea - chew up that awful collar!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hahahaha Rowen thanks you all for the advice about the cone :wink:
I felt so bad for Rowen, since he's in between sizes I guess they gave him the cone for a large dog-- so he had a cone the size of a lamp shade. It would get stuck on the ground while he walked and he'd fall down!! So we went to Petsmart and got him a smaller cone.. he can get to the stitches but chooses not to unless he jumps when we take him outside on leash to go potty.. He's spent the majority of the day in his crate with a few potty breaks and can now actually fit in it easily with the new cone... It's gonna have to be on for 14 days when his stitches come out- poor baby it'll be on through his birthday! I'll update and try to get some pictures of him later! Thanks for all the well wishes!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts