Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it is a LONG story, but I'll give you the abridged version.

My dogs got out of the yard Sunday morning between 7 a.m. and 9:30 a.m. (we took the boys skiing). My friend came over to check on the dogs at 9 a.m. and they were gone! I got a call at 10:30 a.m. from the humane society satating that the police had brought them in. My friend went to pick them up immeadiately. The clerk stated that we would not be charged because they were only there for "1/2 hour or so".

When we got home from skiing-about 5:30 p.m. Calvin was coughing and choking. He still is.... My husband suggested that PERHAPS the police officer used a chock collar on Calvin to get him into the shelter and maybe he somehow damaged his trachea in the process.....I am SICK! Is this possible? Could it just be 'inured'? Does anyone have any thoughts on the subject?

Leslie

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I'd be worried too. The reason Charlie wears a body harness is because I don't like anything pulling against his neck.

It's very likely the officers used a choke collar. It's pretty common to make sure the dog doesn't pull out of this regular collar and escape. Having said that, if he is injured, its likely he's just bruised and he will recover in a day or two. You may want to try a soft diet while he's healing. If he's not better or seems worse or in distress, please take him to your vet.

Deb

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Poor Calvin! Deb is probably right - even with friendly dogs, I think most animal control officers use those "collars" attached to a pole so that they can keep the dog at arm's length (and themselves out of biting range!) If you called, they probably wouldn't tell you b/c of fear of liability, but like Deb said, watch him closely, feed him a nice soft diet, and let the vet check him!

Did you find out how he got out? I'm just glad he didn't get hit by a car or something!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Leslie, glad they are safe. No advice on the choking, except check with your vet. Any idea how houdini got out this time. I still remember the scare from last year. Glad this time he was found sooner. Keep us informed.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Leslie...glad you got him safely home as i too remember your scare last year.

did you call your vet and have him checked out? as your vet may be able to help you rule out anything wrong/injury etc

please keep us posted

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
What an ordeal. I'm glad they are back home and that Calvin is better soon. Anxious to hear how he's doing. :cry:

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all your concern. We had some friends over Saturday night for dinner and they brought Tucker, their Boxer, over to play. We have a side gate that her kids used to go into the backyard and I suspect they just didn't shut it good. We will be watching Tucker when they go to Hawaii at the end of the month and we were doing a 'dry run. I'm glad he spent the night, because she come over early and discoverd them gone, if she would not have come over, I wouldn't have been able to pick them up until Tuesday since the shelter was closed by the time we got home and they are closed Mondays, too.

The other odd thing is that Calvin did not have his collar on..which is weird. Luckily Madge did!!! I need to search the yard for his collar. My husband said he found it off the other day and put it back on him. I guess it comes off when they wrestle?

I called my vet and was told she would call me back, but has not yet. Since it is not an emergency, I expect I'll get a call tomorrow. Both dogs are lying next to my feet at the moment and Calvin hasn't coughed in a while. WHEW!

I'll keep you posted.....

Leslie

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
glad to hear things have calmed down and Clavin isnt coughing as much

we kept our gates locked, padlocks, otherwise I'd be constantly worrying AB would get out - worry Mom here

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Leslie! How frightening!! I would be in panic city!! I'm glad they're safe!! WOW!
The choking is something to check out with the vet, but I wouldn't be surprised if they used a choke collar...........let us know what you find out......sheesh!

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
If it's a regular buckle collar, Cinnamon used to take hers off all the time. I got her a new collar, one that doesn't come off if pulled and doesn't have a buckle to undo. It's make like a choke collar, but has a nylon part that won't let the collar totally close, so it's not choking her if pulled, just tightens.

So glad they're safe!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I'd like to say something about Doodles and sometimes their wandering ways.
Max who always has stuck by our side just recently started to wander if of leash. and it is partly his age 18mos and maturing process as he gets older, trying to asset himself and also feels more comfortable with his environment now.

Many dogs do this around or before 2yrs of age....and so for now i am doign a refresher obedience training and not letting him off leash.

I hate doing this but he has taken off for about 5 to 10min a few times in past due to someone gutting a deer on my property line ....and now he finds cars and joggers interesting.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Wow, I am sorry you went through that and glad both dogs are safe. I hope all resolves with his coughing/choking also. I assume it is the collar they used, but perhaps he ate something that he shouldn't have while loose? Just a thought..

We babysat a dog a few years ago. He dug both himself and my dog (who didn't dig) out of our yard. They crossed a major highway and ended up on a golf course where someone was able to round them up and then call us. We were so lucky they weren't killed by a car and also lucky they stuck together as my dog also lost his collar somewhere. Very scary.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts