Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, hello everyone! We're new on the board and I'm enjoying reading all the interesting posts!
Ok, the subjects of poop and food I'm sure are repeats, several times over but here I go again.
We got Horton from an animal rescue. He's 4 months old and up to date on all his shots, etc. First few weeks we got him, he slept all night in his crate, no problems whatsoever. About 2-3 weeks ago he started waking up in the middle of the night with diarrhea. We took him to the vet...no worms, tested negative on many other infections...they tested him for all sorts of things. They put him on an antibiotic anyway (metronidazole-250mg) and on Iams low residue puppy food. His diarrhea went away and no more waking in the middle of the night. Stopped antibiotics this past Saturday morning...back to diarrhea, waking up in the middle of the night 3 nights in a row. Personally I think it's all the foliage he seems to like to chew on/eat in the backyard, grass, leaves, dirt...ugh. I've exhausted a bottle of bitter apple/yuck and now need more. I'm hoping that'll keep him from eating my grass and flowers. He doesn't get snacks, treats or tablefood so we're not sure what's going on. Any ideas on what it could be??? Are labradoodles prone to digestive problems?

Moving to the food subject. Once Horton is done with this Iams low residue food, I'm debating on what to feed him. When we got him, they were feeding him Iams puppy food but would prefer something higher quality. I've read about Innova Large Breed Puppy dry food and also Canidae but just don't know which is best. What are your recommendations? I'd rather feed kibble than make my own dog food.

Thanks for reading my long post!

Mary

·
Registered
576 Posts
Some labradoodles do have a "poodle stomach" where they are sensative.
I know my girl does! I did have her on Canidae and she did pretty well with it but then she just lost interest and started turning her nose up at it!

Long story short, I feed her Wellness Simple Solutions...just one source of protein in it. I *think* she has a problem with chicken so we stay away from that. To the Wellness I add a little bit of Wellness canned in whatever flavor I'm currently feeding her of the dry. If I'm giving her duck & rice, I add some canned duck. If I'm giving her venison & rice, I add canned venison. She's doing great on it and loves it!

G

·
Maya is on Wellness too. She loves it and does pretty good. She does have diarrhea but lately I have related that to stress. So in My's case I think she has IBS.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I read online about another labradoodle that has IBS. I don't think it was on this forum but somewhere else.
Is that common in labradoodles? I was looking online at the Wellness food and I'd have to order it online cause nowhere around me carries it.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Tanner has IBS and is currently on Science Diet ZD. He will be on this for 4 months then we will try an over the counter single protein source food. We may try the one that Dexter and Kirby are on. Dick Van Patten..and they make a duck and potato and a fish one. Another choice might be rabbit. For Tanner it needs to be one he hasn't been fed before.

He was on an antibiotic and the Flagyl in the beginning too. He is only 1.5 weeks into this new food but he is eating it eagerly (5+ cups a day) and his stools are 2 or 3 good ones a day.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I had same problem with max last year , all tests were negative etc
I ended up cooking for him for 4.5months and Canidae was the only kibble he could digest (we had tried 6 kinds of dogfood).

I hope you find one Horton does well on and possibly feeding him a bland diet till he diarrhea clears up and slowly introducing a new food might help. though i am sure your vet has or will discuss this with you

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
the breeder told me to feed Toby all he want d to eat..as he was
growing pup..

he was on purina befor we took him in and changed over to Nutro..but, his poop s turn d real soft..now on Canidae mixed with Kirkland puppy food he seem s to be doing much better with an occasional loose poop..

was also told to mix in some hot water..it help s to break down the food
befor going down to the tummy..be sure to let it sit for a few mins. to cool befor feeding..

i was told this by the vet. cuz loose poop s , absent of parisites, usually means the has not enough time to pass thru this digestive tract..

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for your responses.

I've got some food choices to think about and do some online reading about before making a decision.

He got up again at 1am this morning to poop. What I don't get is that he can go for several hours (we work) in his crate all day without pooping, but then gets up in the middle of the night.

I did want to ask about protein content in food and fat content. Is it like humans meaning, high protein and low fat is good? Is that easier on their tummy's?

·
Registered
248 Posts
We are a Canidae family and both my girls love it. Uma was eating Purina when we got her and she'd have loose stool every once in a while, but things have been great since we switched.

Our trainer gave us great advice for choosing a dog food. She said if you would eat the first three ingredients listed on the bag, then it's good for your dog. If it's something like Chicken by-products and a couple unpronouncable compounds, then keep looking.

·
Registered
331 Posts
When I was looking for a new food for Napa, I went to this site, which was very helpful. I tried to stay within the 5 and 6 star foods, and you can google the brand and they often have a way to see who carries what around you.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

Napa's on Nature's Variety, and we love it! He's on the Instinct and some raw. Good luck finding a food that makes your pup's tummy happy. Oh, one more thing, be careful of the transition between Iam's and another food, especially when going from a lower quality food to a top quality food. I'd make the transition as slowly as possible to easy the upset on the already upset tummy.

·
Registered
41 Posts
We've gone through all the tummy troubles with Remy. She would also eat everything in the backyard so we still don't let her outside unsupervised. She pee & poops on the leash and we'll let her offleash to play, but watch her. She doesn't eat as much stuff as she used to, though.

For quite a while she was up about one night a week with upset tummy, other days she would spend all morning having diarrhea. The vet never found anything wrong. We've finally had success for the last month. She's on Canidae with little Kirkland crossed in. She has either canned pumpkin or pineapple once a day and she's on a probiotic powder we got at the pet store. Someone else on the forum said that after lots of diarrhea, they don't have any of the good bacteria in their systems so the probiotic powder puts that back in. It seems to work for Remy. We also give her very limited treats and watch what she gets into. If her poop gets a little soft or mucasy we also give her rice instead of some of her kibble for a few days.

Good luck! Life is so much more relaxed now that we're not worrying about doggy diarrhea all the day (and night)!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm stating the obvious here, but if you are allowing Horton to graze make sure you are pulling the food up early in the evening. Also, canned pumpkin (make sure it is just plain pumpkin) does help with diarrhea...my dogs think they are getting a treat. Good luck!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again everyone.

Horton doesn't graze rather, he's on a special diet right now cause of his diarrhea (Iams low residue) and has only 1 cup in the morning and one cup in the evening. He acts like he's starving though. I want to feed him more but we're not supposed to. He's not getting treats or anything else either.

I did buy some Innova which was highly recommended and gave him just a few kibbles tonight. Of course he gobbled them up so we'll see how it goes overnight. This new food has acidopholus in it so that's a good thing I think. He's supposed to be on this special Iams for another week but I want to try working in a little of the other stuff slowly. I'll make a note of the canned pumpkin too and also look for some probiotic powder at the pet store as well. I didn't know they had that for dogs!

Again, Thanks! This is a great forum!

Mary

·
Registered
247 Posts
shaia definitely has a "poodle stomach" (haha, never heard that one) and i struggled with the same exact thing you're dealing with. we tried several different foods before i settled on california natural lamb and rice - i chose it because very few ingredients, one protein source, no gluten grains (wheat) and no filler = less chance of allergic reaction. chicken and chicken products seemed to upset her. she was on innova before that and while i thought it was a high quality food, it still had too many ingredients and didn't work either. i had to be careful and get her only holistic dog treats, bones, etc. i also tried pumpkin which made her diarrhea worse :roll: i ended up using human-grade probiotics for a month along with her new food and it's been smooth sailing for months now. i think it takes a bit of adjustment to find the right foods for those doods w sensitive stomachs, to which they're a bit prone i think. good luck.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Diamond..besides making kirkland also has Nutra Nuggets..

Nutra Nuggets is also sold at costco..it s a *all stage* dog food..
and like Kirland..no corn or by-products..

at $18 a bag it s hard to pass up if Toby s tummy accepts it..

what caught my eye..was a review from a poodle owner..3 of them..
they were all thriving on this food..

i m going to give this a shot when the Canidae run s low and i
can mix it in..

i had all of the dogs on Iam s at one time..and after reading about
*corn*..i left 3 bags at the local animal shelter..they were very
happy as well :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I may have to renew my Costco membership! I let it expire a couple years ago (pre-Horton) because we didn't use it much.

He was up 3 times last night. I'll be glad when his RX Iams low residue food is done. I'm going to the health food store after work today to buy some probiotic powder. Any suggestions on how much to give?

·
Registered
41 Posts
We got the doggy probiotic powder that they had at the expensive dog boutique near where I live. I looked at human grade probiotic powders first and got completely confused because there were so many kinds. The doggy powder just cost $21 for a bottle and it gives the dose by weight on the bottle. I know there are lots of kinds. This was the only one I could find at a store near me and it has worked well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I went to the healthfood store and they actually had the canine probiotic powder. It says to give 1/2 tsp. per 1 cup of food. I was glad I saw that because like you, I was concerned with the people stuff, all the different kinds and measurements.
I sure hope it helps....soon!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Shaia said:
shaia definitely has a "poodle stomach". i had to be careful and get her only holistic dog treats, bones, etc. i also tried pumpkin which made her diarrhea worse :roll: i ended up using human-grade probiotics for a month along with her new food and it's been smooth sailing for months now. .
can YOU PM me? i'd love to know what holistic treats you use as my Max is the same way
and which human probiotics do you use?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts