Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have something of a dilemma in my head brewing. I have been asked to be a guardian for a breeder, a reputable and responsible Australian LD breeder.
I, personally, own a rescued labradoodle who I have enjoyed training and working with to overcome his shyness (why he was given up). I also am a volunteer for IDOG and see how many other doodles are needing homes.
I am into the LD because of the potential for therapy use and because I have dog allergies. I have had zero problems with my Bodzin and the breeder's pup.
I go to training classes and the trainer is a member of the local poodle breeders group. They are totally anti-doodle because of the crossbreeds being chosen over the purebreds and too many backyard breeders, etc... My trainer thinks that I can accomplish the same things with a standard poodle... as far as therapy and hypo-allergenic stuff.
I like the idea of being a guardian, but shen I ses all the doodles looking for homes... I am not sure I want to contribute to the problem by helping out a breeder. Then again, the pups are great and get placed in screened homes.
I also am wondering if I was wrong to go the LD way instead of the standard poodle way....
Any thoughts on these?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Yes....there are Labradoodles looking for homes, there are standard poodles looking for homes too! Anyone know the ratio of them in the pounds?
To me, the lab puts that extra little spark in the mix. I look into the eyes of my labradoodles and smile.....they are always so happy, and it takes so little to please them!
I get so fed-up with people complaining about them! I have to go to a good sized dog show in 2 wks. where they are having a eye clinic ($20 a dog!) I already confirmed that I didn't have to be a club member, and I register at the show...... the hard part is going to be holding my head up and ignoring comments, which I know I will hear a few! Like walking into a Lion's den!!!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Thanks....I'm a sensitive softy so I am going to bring my husband who seems to be more grumpy and outspoken with each new year! (he can be embarrasing but it'll be okay in this situation!):lol:

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
In my area there are way more poodles needing homes than LDs. It took us quite a few months to find a LD rescue locally. There were dozens of poodles. Not sure what that means, maybe people shouldnt be breeding so many poodles if there isnt a maket for them.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I don't think you should feel guilty for having a different opinion than someone else and no one else should make you feel guilty for choosing something different than they choose. Fine if the breeder prefers poodles and fine if you prefer labradoodles. End of conversation. Geeesh, I get annoyed with people out there that bash people for loving their dogs no matter what breed they are if the breed/mutt is different from what they like best. Follow your heart and the rest of them, you know what. Know that we will support you whatever your decision. Okay, I'll get off my soap box now. Sorry to blow my top. :oops:

G

·
I am kinda confused by your comments. Do you love the doodle you have. I guess for me I look at it this way. I love this breed of dog. I research throughly, read boards, check the rescue sites etc. So I know there are a lot of LD/GD that are looking for new homes because I actively seek this information.

Each family a different reason for getting rid of the dog. But the reason for getting rid of a dog are pretty much the same across all breeds.

So my question is are you just involved in a poodle rescue as you are a LD rescue? If so you would prob find just as many poodles needing a home. Also why take this poodle breeders words to heart so much? Of course she is going to be against LD/GD. It hurts her business.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
clarification

I absolutely adore our doodle...heck, I love every one but one that I have ever met. but I was more wondering if anyone can clarify why the LD is so different from the poodle because I was completely sold on the LD before I adopted Bodzin. ABOUT THE TRAINER AND WHY IT BOTHERS ME: Our trainer does not breed, but she just shows and trains poodles. She also runs the therapy program at the hospital near me and her first question was "why didnt you just get a poodle?"

She has made me wonder a lot about being a guardian mostly.... I also know that if I want to do therapy work around here I need to work with this training group. If I am training a breeding doodle at their facility I don't know that it will be looked upon favorably. Training a rescued doodle isn't an issue with the trainers. Kind of puts me in a tricky situation. I suppose that I could try to educate her about labradoodles and their qualities.... but I don't know if that will work since she is sold on the poodle as the perfect hypoallergenic/trainable/therapy dog. Oh... and the trainers have exclusive rights to the hospital.
(maybe I need to just go to a different trainer and work with a different hospital :) thing is, I live NEXT to the hospital that the trainer works with argh)
I guess I am trying to sort out what seperates the poodle from the labradoodle other than genetics. Does anyone on there have experience with standard poodles vs. labradoodles? What is the advantage of a LD vs. a poodle? Why do people with poodles have a thing against crossbreeding? It isn't like I am competing with them for anything... or is it the competition that they fear as far as popularity, sales, poodles being used for LDs instead of breeding back into the poodle pool?
It was also the first person who questioned my decision to have a LD and work with the doodle rescues. I am a volunteer and a foster as well for doodles, I also agree that many poodles are up for adoption (mostly small ones) but the argument is that poodles crosses are showing up more and more. I have nothing to do with poodles... just wondering if anyone has thoughts on this issue of purebred people showing prejudice towards doodles and the breeding of them.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
The poodle AND lab groups have picked on Labradoodles for quite awhile & it pops up regularly on this forum. Touchy subject...
I'm sure you know the story....how Labradoodles were created to be service dogs, especially the Australian lines.
I also see your prediciment. Are any of the poodles breeders dogs used for therapy there? If you can remove the allergy issue and all that is left is the breed issue... what difference should it make? Comes back to the poodle breeders picking on the labradoodles.
I am assuming that is why they pick the poodles for therapy dogs, allergies?
If you love the doodle as a breed, stick to your guns. If your foster dog works out to be a fantastic therapy dog, everyone will know where to get a puppy. There is a reason they are so popular as service/therapy dogs.
I for one am rooting for you!!!! :D

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I am not sure why it matters "why you choose a labradoodle", that's what you choose. That is the breed you like... love... no one should question that.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I agree that it doesnt matter what somebody else thinks about loving LDs. If you love them, be proud and be happy. thats what life is about. Some people feel better about a breed because there is an organization taking money from them to record their birthdays on paper. to me, regestration is not a BFD, and doesnt make those dogs any more valid or our LDs any less.

How did i get on the soap box??

·
Registered
2 Posts
poodle vs labradoodle

Hi, I'm not an expert, but wanted to submit our reasons for purchasing an Australian Labradoodle. After much research, we decided upon this breed because....the non-shedding coat, amazing temperament (takes everything in with such an open heart), and to be honest - appearance! We just were not drawn to the true poodle look and prefer the more stout body and face of the labradoodle. The fleece coat is the most amazing soft coat to snuggle with! It's funny how defensive "purebreed" breeders get, when after all, most "purebreed" dogs are mutts after you track their true ancestorial lineage......

G

·
I will answer the part about being a guardian. There will always be dogs needing rescue, just like there will always be poor people in the world. It is sad, but it is a fact of life. Many people absolutely HAVE to know what they are purchasing due to allergies and also need to have the support of a good breeder behind them if it does not work out healthwise. By being a guardian, you are giving these people a chance at owning a wonderful dog AND you also get a wonderful dog. Yes, you could rescue a wonderful dog from the shelter (and you already have which is awesome!), but as a guardian you will be doing good too, albeit in a different way! You know the forum will support you whatever you decide!
And yes poodles are great (Bella is a 'poodle doodle' :lol: ) but the lab part just adds a bonus of playfulness and 'happy go lucky-ness' that is not too apparent in the poodles I have met. Poodles are dignified and smart, doodles are funny/silly and smart!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi, I would like to weigh in here too...I have also worked at an animal shelter and, if I was able to, I would rescue dogs rather than breed them.
I do own Poodles and Doodles (both Goldendoodles and Labradoodles) and I love them all very much. Yes, I think that Poodles can be great therapy dogs (depending on their genetic disposition to good temperament qualities, just like with doodles.)
Why did we elect to breed doodles? Well, because my husband is horribly allergic to dogs and cats. We got our first doodles and fell madly in love with their quirky, comical, loving personalities and their absolute perfection as family companions. And, they did not aggravate my husband's allergies. We were thrilled that we could enjoy a wonderful life with these dear creatures.
We decided that it would be a great gift to be able to help others obtain such super pets, especially children and others who needed service dogs but also suffered from allergies.
We studied breeding and concentrated on doodles, since they were our dog of choice. (Frankly, we thought that all poodles were pampered, prissy and temperamental...we were absolutely wrong, but we had the typical biases.)
We bought our first male so that we could begin breeding and, since we had F1 females, we bought a standard Poodle. Again, we fell in love. We realized that they didn't NEED to be clipped to look like freakish creatures...and decided that there was nothing wrong with poodles, but there may be something about poodle owners! (Those who have/keep/breed these marvelous creatures and then groom them to puff balls and keep them locked away so that they don't spoil their coats!)
But, in buying our poodle, we learned a hard and important lesson about pure breed registrations. They are false. Long story short, our dog had been registered with AKC using intentionally false records and when I proved that the records were falsified (through the AKC's own DNA matching) they refused to correct the records, UNLESS THE BREEDER AGREED! So, who are they protecting? Certainly not the purity of the breed...but the PAYING members!
It was then that I realized that you can buy great dogs or you can buy important looking papers on a dog. I prefer to buy a great dog...and we prefer to breed and provide quality dogs...we don't care one whit about papers! We DO care about health, temperament, longevity, and family appeal. We get that with our doodles.
Would we also get that with our poodles? You bet! I would not hesitate to breed and use poodles in our newly formed service dog corporation...but to rule out super dogs like doodles simply because some snobbish group frowns on them...the snobbish group being comprised of the very people who refuse to acknowledge DNA verification of their puppies...well, in the real world, not in the show ring, we are perfectly happy with our choice of breeding doodles...and we continue to breed them...proudly, without reservation!
Another supporting factor of importance is the Canine Diversity Project, I think that if you read it carefully, you will find your answers:
http://www.canine-genetics.com/Default.htm
I do not frown on your questions. I welcome them. But I do frown on ANYONE being swayed by peer pressure over intelligent research. Please, if you take this as seriously as you have indicated, read this article.
Best wishes in your work with rescues...it is a wonderful gift you are giving to the canine world.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
genetics...

Jac.... I haven't even read the whole article and i agree that genetic diversity helps breeds. Funny thing is... I am a teacher in an open-concept school and the science class across the room has been working on genetics for the past month!
Hybrids are typically stronger than purebreds, but I knew that from my work in 4-H with sheep, goats, chickens, etc...
Thanks for chiming in. I really am aggravated mostly that this poodle lover is running the hospital's program. I would hope that a less biased person would be running the show.
I guess this just gives me one more reason to want to move :)

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Re: genetics...

windex said:
.... I really am aggravated mostly that this poodle lover is running the hospital's program. I would hope that a less biased person would be running the show.
Perhaps, the silly poodle person will be able to see how great doodles are? And will change his/her thoughts on the breed? I don't think I would let someone push me out of a program I was truly interested in. Who knows, they could change their mind... doodles are very good and charming people.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Re: genetics...

windex said:
Jac.... I haven't even read the whole article and i agree that genetic diversity helps breeds. Funny thing is... I am a teacher in an open-concept school and the science class across the room has been working on genetics for the past month!
Hybrids are typically stronger than purebreds, but I knew that from my work in 4-H with sheep, goats, chickens, etc...
Thanks for chiming in. I really am aggravated mostly that this poodle lover is running the hospital's program. I would hope that a less biased person would be running the show.
You are an asset to the doodle community! I am really happy that you found our forum. Don't give up on the poodle snob...sometimes they just get angry because they don't understand...and sometimes they don't want to understand, just be angry! Either way, you will be happy with your dood and that is all that matters! Welcome!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
One thing I think is a major advantage in the LD over the purebred poodle is the ease of grooming. It's much less time consuming to keep a coat with large long waves looking nice every day than it is to keep a poodle matt-free.

I think too, that with the preconceived notions people have about poodles being "frufru" and spoiled, you can walk into a room with that as an instant handicap. With a LD, they're just cute and welcoming at first glance and unique enough that they can be great conversation starters.

You'll find biased, closed minded people in many settings. You're never going to satisfy them all anyway, so if you can satisfy yourself you've done well.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
windex wrote:
I guess this just gives me one more reason to want to move
[quote:jhthfsbo]Jac wrote:
You are an asset to the doodle community! I am really happy that you found our forum. Don't give up on the poodle snob...sometimes they just get angry because they don't understand...and sometimes they don't want to understand, just be angry! Either way, you will be happy with your dood and that is all that matters! Welcome!
[/quote:jhthfsbo]
Ditto!...and AMEN!!

·
Registered
302 Posts
I think that all the previous comments have thoroughly established that there is no particular reason why a poodle would be a better choice than a doodle... we all love the doodles! But I can totally see the trickiness of your situation with the hospital volunteering situation :(.

Maybe an upfront, friendly conversation with your trainer/ the leader of the program about the issue would clear the air. You could just point out that you love your doodle and want to keep working with them, that doodles are also intelligent, allergy friendly dogs, and that you sincerely hope that something as minor as a different taste in breeds won't jeapordize your ability to participate in the program.

If she/ he poses the question again, why not just a poodle, simply say that you prefer the doodle personality and low maintaince. Nothing against the poodles, it's just your preference. Surely she/ he can't be upset about that.

Perhaps if/ when this convo takes place the issue will be dropped and she'll be happy to include you in the program regardless of the dogs you're working with :) If not, she's probably going to be a tricky person to work with in the long run regardless and you're probably better off finding a more sensible group to work with!

Good Luck! I would definitely be cheered up by a lovely scruffy doodle face if I was in the hospital!

:lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts