Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new the this...but I am seeking the advice of experieced Labradoodle owners and breeders, and this looked like a good place to start!

I have a 1 year old, ADORABLE, black, male, F1 Labradoodle. I would love to breed him, but I have never been through this process. I know that Wally would be a great mate, he comes from champion bloodlines and is the sweetest, most entertaining dog I have ever met!...but I'm clueless as to how to begin this process, or even if I should. If I do, should I seek out another Doodle or a Poodle? HELP!? Any advice or expertise on this matter will be greatly appreciate!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Jessica,
Welcome...and thanks for taking the necessary steps to get off on the right foot...breeding is a very complicated issue and there are many things that you need to do before you decide whether or not to breed...

First, I must warn you that you may have trouble getting anyone who wants to use a black stud...I say that because my puppies are mostly black and black pups are much more difficult to sell...so most breeders are looking for other colors.

In fact, I have a really great male from my litter that I want to keep as a stud...but I am really not too certain that it is a good business idea.

But, getting past color issues, you will wnat to get him tested for hips (PennHip or OFA), CERF (or eye test equivilent), vWD, thyroid, heart, elbows, etc. Now, granted...you CAN get by without ALL of these, but most breeders will expect all of the testing before they will risk the cost and risks of a litter from an untested stud.

I own a male Poodle and he is very special...an excellent stud...all testing is perfect, his temperament is WONDERFUL and his coloring...no black, he is full chocolate, carrying cream/red/apricot...still, I need to market him in order to get many "takers"...he has been used for stud twice, and others have shown interest but I am still working on getting all of the papers together.

You would need to register your litters, so you would need to have your boy registered too. AKC won't, of course, register a Labradoodle, so you need to look at CKC (Continental Kennel Club) or ILA.

I don't want to discourage you...but this is a very important business and many factors will come into play...

Oh, and you will need to find out about his sperm count, and whether or not you will let the female stay at your home and how long (then you have liability issues)...

Finally, you will have to be sure that you bought breeding rights to your dog...make sure your breeder approves of the breeding plans...if you have a neuter contract, you can't breed him unless your breeder revises the contract.

Whew! Sorry...not very encouraging...but important stuff! Good luck!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the great information! The breeder we got Wally from did not request a neuter contract. I have actually thought of contacting her to see if she would be interested, she has another white poodle that is of no relation to Wally. Would they generate a different color other than black?

Wow, that is a lot of info...a lot to think about. Thanks for the heads up...I guess I have a lot to decide on now!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I think that is very wise of you to think of getting info from the breeder and yes, I do think you MIGHT get another color with a white poodle, as long as the white doesn't carry balck (black nose?)

Still, I believe that your breeder needs to do some educational research too...if she is selling intact puppies without requiring a spay/neuter contract...that is a very irresponsible thing to do.

AKC registration is NOT a guarantee of good health. Champion lines is not either...so, if she is lax in her breeding practice, there is a chance that she is not breeding from tested stock and a very good chance that you will need to be vigilent in your testing to be sure that you are not creating puppies with genetic disease propensity...

If you can get past all of that and you still want to breed him...I will be happy to help direct you in some of the ways to get the testing/help you need.

You can get your dog DNA tested for vWD and also for color...at the same time. It is pretty expensive, but VetGen does this testing. You would want to be sure that any Poodle your male breeds to has also been tested clear of SA and vWD...along with the other eye, heart, bone-structure and temperament issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts