Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dulcie & I live in Cambridge, UK - which is a very cycle orientated city. I have been cycling with Dulcie, and we both really enjoy it. I always choose areas I know well - wide roads & pavements with little traffic or people, and we use a gentle leader when she first starts out to resist any jerking or pulling (doesn't happen anyhow, but just to be safe) & then when she is tired from her off lead run around the park, we come back slowly on a normal collar. I have seen others do it, even the great Cesar Milan, and seen products for connecting dog to bike, so assumed this is legal.

But there I was this morning, on a quiet stretch of road, on my pretty bike with my lovely dulcie plodding along with me - when two policemen stop in their car & give me the biggest telling off ever - completley over the top, even taking my details & telling me scare stories from their experiences in A&E @ the hospital of bike injuries. One mumbled 'dog abuse' at me. They only gave up on it when they were called away on their radios to a 'real crime'.

I often see people all the time walking their dogs this way. I have never had an accident, and I am very careful. I got so upset by them that I was crying. Some of you that know me will know that I have some mobility problems & this for me has been such an enjoyable way of getting out & about & giving Dulcie a good exercise.

Sorry for going on, but I am upset, and it has really put me back a notch or two.

Lolly & Dulcie

G

·
I am sorry. Maybe they were just giving you a hard time. I would check with your local ordiances to see what is legal and what isn't

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I agree with Heather. So sorry for your run in with the police. Right or wrong, they should have been kinder.

Have you seen this before? I remember something on another forum from someone who liked it.
http://www.dog-training.com/springer.htm

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
So sorry! I know how something like this can really shake you up. I wish I could give you a big hug... but have Dulcie do it. :wink:

I agree with the others about checking on the local ordinances. Personally, I'd be afraid to ride with Charlie but I see people around here do it all the time.

Deb

·
Registered
65 Posts
WOW - I'm ticked off for you!

Wow - what a story! OK - Devil's advocate here... Did Dulcie give them any reason to believe that she was distressed? Was she tripping or lagging far behind? What made them think it was abuse? Because I think all of us here would want the police to step in if they felt that an animal was being harmed in some way. So try to step back and look at the situation from their point of view.

That being said...If you still feel that they were way out of line, call your police station and ask if there are specific laws about what you are doing. My guess is that there isn't. Then tell them what happened to you. Police are not allowed to detain you for any reason if you are not breaking a law. If there are no laws against what you are doing, then what they did is called harassment...and that IS illegal!

I really feel for you, because regardless of the situation, you're probably going to be afraid of running into them again. If that happens, one option would be to 'kill them with kindnes'...thank them for being concerned and assure them that it is the highlight of Dulcie's day! Good luck, I hope it all works out for you and Dulcie :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Maybe they were bored :?

I will be honest and say someone we know just recently had a bike accident with her dog. 2 in one month. The first was the dog was running beside and saw something and realllllly started running causing the woman to crash. The 2nd was the dog some how was running and kinda ran into the front tire but enough where she actually did run him over. Actually now that i think about it was the other way around. The running over accident happened 2nd because everyone was teasing her saying she ran him over for him running so fast the first time causing her to crash. Both dog and woman are fine though :lol:

We were at obediance school one day and while it was good info the lady talked down on this poor guy. He has a St Bernard who is a little under a year and has been jogging with him. She went on to say how horrible he is because of how bad it is for the dogs joints so young and to call her in 5yrs so she can hear how bad he is doing :twisted: :roll: anyways, that talk lead to how many will take their dogs for bike rides however the dog will majority of the time never tell you nor show he is tired. He will just keep running and running and running.

That being said once Lincoln is more leashed trained we do plan on taking him on short rides with us around the block and up the block to the park but no long distances at all.

DId the police threaten a ticket?
Heck they threaten tickets here if you take your dog to the beach
:(

michele

·
Registered
125 Posts
I think it's so aggravating when people in a position of power have an opportunity to educate and instead use it to go off on their high horse and lecture... which is so much less effective. I'm sorry it upset you. I have a "cruiser" bike and I often take my lab for a ride, although I go very slowly. If he were to start after something, I could easily drop the leash, no big deal. Although if he were faster and younger, crashes would have been inevitable!

Keep your chin up... check into the ordinances and see if there's a way to get around it... like maybe if you use a certain type of leash, etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts