Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, now that Spring is finally hear in Minnesota, wondering if anyone can provide a handy list of indoor/outdoor plants that dogs should not chew on. I understand azelias and hostas are poisonous...anything else I should be aware of? We usually plant a lot of new guinea impatiens around our deck and these would definitely be in reach of our Keah. Are these OK? We also have a small garden of perennials that she ignores for the most part but then they aren't blooming yet. Thanks for any info you have!
LaVonne and Keah (14 months today!)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
LaVonne,

Check out this website we used it when we got Lani, our 4 month old LD. It has a good list of toxic plants. Fortunately the plants are listed by their common names not botanical names.:D

http://www.dogpack.com/health/poisonplants.htm

·
Registered
424 Posts
I just checked out the link with the list of toxic plants. Thanks for the reference.

Wow! I had no idea that so many common indoor and outdoor plants can be harmful to dogs. Our Sadie has a kind of fetish for chewing on plants - indoors ones anyway. This is her first spring / summer so we will really have to keep an eye on her when she is outdoors.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Thanks for posting this question and the link...it is so important. And please consider the things that grow when you are not expecting them...for instance, we had a very wet winter (CA) and I don't often go to the back yard and wander because it is on a slope...but one day we almost lost one of our dogs...within minutes of ingesting wild mushrooms! I never even considered that...and it was only in one little spot in the back yard...but of course my dog found it and at it...she got extremely ill, within a half hour she couldn't stand at all...and the worst part is that we were not home! We did, however (and thankfully) hire a wonderful dog sitter and she was here. She rushed the dog to the vet and literally saved her life.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thanks for the list! I'm going to be moving into a new house on Monday with a nice backyard with lotsa flowers and stuff, so I'll try and match them with the pictures (as I know nothing about flower names, let alone in English (being Dutch)). Wish this same list existed as a picture index!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Michael, Since you are not familiar with plants I would suggest taking pictures of the plants in your new yard and take them to a local garden center or landscape nursery to help you identify the plants. I use to work for a landscape nursery and we always had people come in with pictures or pieces of plants to identify for them. Good luck and congratulations on your new home! :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts