Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this lady is wrong. We went to PetsMart yesterday to get some dog and cat food when we walked in there was a lady from the rescue place with some dogs. We went to pet them and talked to the lady. She asked us to adopt a dog we told her we already got our Labradoodle and I even explained to her that I have allergies and I need a dog that I can live with for the next 13+ years. I also told her that all my cats and one dog are rescue and this is the one time that we decided to get a dog from the breeder only because of my allergies. She than told us that Labradoodles are stupid dogs and they are very hard to train. She said there are more Labradoodles get dropped off at the shelter than any other dogs. However I personally have never seen a Labradoodle at the shelter and only found out about the breed from other people with allergies and my doctor. Can someone please tell me that Labradoodles are not stupid dogs? Why would someone say something like this? This was so mean of her to say that when she saw how excited we were about our new puppy. We even signed him for a puppy class for this weekend. I was just totally shocked to hear what she said after I already told her that most my animals are rescues and not from the shelter I picked them up on the street when they were almost at the end of their lives. What's wrong with getting a dog from the breeder? I understand there are a lot of dogs that need homes but I have health reasons why I got Labradoodle. If it was not Labradoodle we would have bought a Standard Poodle but since I love Labs so much I thought this was great idea to have the two breeds in one dog. I think you have two best worlds in my opinion. Are your Labradoodles hard to train?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
What an evil spiteful woman.

·
Registered
853 Posts
That lady does NOT know what she is talking about. She is totally ignorant and should just be pitied. And her manners were DEPLORABLE!I've been volunteering at the Humane Society for over a month now, and not once has there been a Labradoodle turned in. How many can you find on Petfinder compared to all the other breeds? Labradoodles are certainly NOT stupid. I've taken my dood to three obedience classes and the trainers all LOVED him and they all have AKC dogs that they show, so they could have been very snobbish about it, but, they weren't. Don't let what this lady said worry you. I think most of us have run into people like this at one time or another.

By the way, do you have a Thoroughbred horse? I was wondering what the tb at the end of your name stands for.

G

·
Oh, I am so sorry you had to encounter this ignorant lady when you are so joyful about your new puppy.
Labradoodle are the sweetest, most adorable, funniest dogs I have ever encountered.
And they are SMART!!!!
Here are the facts to back that statement up:

"Psychologist Stanley Coren asked dog experts to rank breeds by their communication intelligence. The dogs with the poorest communication intelligence are the genetically oldest breeds, while those with the best communication intelligence have been developed since 1800. Communication intelligence is what allows dogs to work with humans. There is also instinctive intelligence (like terriers who dig and retrievers who retrieve) and learning ability and problem solving intelligence. A dog can have good learning ability and problem solving ability, but that is a trait that benefits him. The communication intelligence helps the dog interact with us, so that is most important in a pet.
The "most communication intelligent" were:
1. Border collie
2. Poodle
3. German Shepherd
4. Golden retriever
5. Doberman
6. Shetland sheepdog
7. Labrador retriever

The "dumbest" were (sorry, that's the wording :roll: )
1. Afghan Hound
2. Basenji
3. Bulldog
4. Chow chow
3. Borzoi
6. Bloodhound
7. Pekingese"

Source:
If Your Dog could talk by Dr. Bruce Fogle

So, if the number 2 and number 7 MOST INTELLIGENT dogs are bred, I would not think a 'dumb' dog would be the result! :lol:

And many Labradoodles are being used as service dogs. Jac, one of our breeders here on the forum, has 3!!! of her puppies in training to be service dogs. Only the elite dogs with high intelligence are chosen for this work.
Try to forget about this mean and unhappy person who probably is estranged from her children and her husband hates her and she yells at the children in the neighborhood for being too loud and not one person who knows her, likes her :lol: and enjoy the days and excitement leading up to your arrival of your beautiful puppy! I promise she will be wonderful and smart!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you guys for responses! She made me so upset and my husband was even down about it. He kept asking me if I did my research on these dogs and was all worried we got a stupid dog. I told him I spoke to bunch of people with Labradoodles, read a lot about them and no one has ever told me that Labradoodles were stupid. This lady is just plain mean and what a bad thing to say to someone who is so excited about the puppy.

Kim,

Yes I have a Thoroughbred and an Oldenburg. I do Dressage with both of them but thinking to do some eventing with my Thoroughbred. How did you know? Unless you are a horsy person you won't know. :D

·
Registered
141 Posts
What a jerk

She is the stupid one How could you rain on someones parade like that Even if labradoodles were stupid you would not go and tell someone who was so excited about getting their new pup . She sounds mean and jealous. Now let me tell you just how smart these dogs are I have had 2 standard poodles who I thought were oh so smart (still miss them) and then I got an Airedale (still miss her too) who I thought was even smarter. Now I have 2 labradoodles and the outshine the others in the smarts department. People can be so insensitive some times if they would only think for a second of what they are saying life would be so much nicer.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
KIM...that lady was just ignorant ok? Also giving her the benfit of doubt she also may be weary in wanting to get present dogs adopted is all and perhaps compared OTHER mixed poodle breeds in confusion with doodles.
And yes lately there are many more doodles on petrescue sites than even 5mos ago. what she said was Stupid...wasn't the DOG being stupid, RATHER it was is the Dog Owners who are stupid! meaning if they don't train doodles then like any other dog you will have problems.

Tell your husband to read the post here on Smart Doodles by doing a search.

These dogs make great service and therapy dogs (definitely one requirement is good nature and intelligence, can understand complete sentences, learn quickly, and also as my dad says" these dogs aint smart, they can THINK" :wink:
if you ever watch them doing a doodle run with twists turns jumps etc and dodging all furniture, vases, corners etc without breaking anything well i have to say it's almost like they have a blueprint in their head and then calculate their next run . Max learned the word HUSH in 2 days is trained by me without treats just love and hugs and praise.

So take what that woman said with a grain of salt as she just may be hardened by so many animals not being adopted due to poor parenting, possibly not spaying/neutering pets and so on. I too went to buy more Canidae yesterday and the German Shepard Rescue was there. I told them i am allergic and have doodles. we did get along amazingly and they were real nice to me. So KIM there is hope.

·
Registered
103 Posts
That is terrible what the women said. I researched dogs for a year prior to getting Frankie and the reason why I wanted a labradoodle was because of how smart they are, cute and less shedding. I had prior dogs in my life and I never had such an easy time training him. He was house trained at 10 weeks, and could sit, stay, and laydown by 12 along with other Tricks my son taught him. They truely are the best of both breeds and I would not trade Frankie for anything. Some people are so ignorant to this breed it is sick.

Enjoy you labradoodle and don't let these type of people get to you. I would pull all the information on a labradoodle I could this week and go the petsmart on the weekend, hand it to her and tell her you need to educate yourself on a labradoodle and walk away! But that is just me.

G

·
PS:
We want pictures when the most intelligent puppy arrives!
Do you have a name yet? How about Scamp?
Smartest, cutest, and most personable! :lol:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
doodles= delightful , outgoing, ooodles (of fun), delightful loyal, energetic, and smart

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Linda said:
PS:
We want pictures when the most intelligent puppy arrives!
Do you have a name yet? How about Scamp?
Smartest, cutest, and most personable! :lol:
Yes I have pictures of our new puppy. We have had him for a week now. Very cute little guy and really funny. He thinks cats are his toys and Hope's (our 8 year old dog) food belongs to him. Even though it's too high for him he somehow gets himself pulled up into the dish and stealing her food. ;) My husband called him Spooky and I think it really fits him as he tries to spook every animal in the house. :lol:

Here is the link to the other post where I posted pictures.

http://labradoodle-dogs.net/forums/view ... c&start=15

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Forgot to mention. Sooky will be attending puppy school this coming weekend. My husband is looking forward to it. It's his first dog of his own and he gets to train. I train the puppy and the husband at the same time very dificult job. :wink:

·
Registered
853 Posts
Lovemytb - I have a QH/welsh cross and am looking for an Icelandic - I love their tolt! I've always loved horses and used to ride my in-laws well-trained ex-showhorse broodmares in my 20's. I never had my own horse until a couple of years ago and I'm in my late 40's now (very late :wink: ). Deb, (lieverdmom), is an experienced horsewoman and does dressage, too. I went to the L.A. Equestrian Center yesterday to look at an Icy. That place is amazing! There is every kind of horse there and every discipline you can imagine! I saw a Fresian, TB's, WB's, paints, QH's, ponies, on and on and on! It was very fun.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
OMG!!! i lov that Linda!!! thank you!!! and oh that sticker would drive my honor roll teenagers crazy!!! heh heh heh annmarie now has an :idea: :wink:

G

·
I am so sorry you were subject to such an ignorant, ignorant woman!!! Labradoodles are very bright! Watch your doodle play and you will see how smart they are. If a toy goes under the table what do they do? They try to get it! If it goes behind the couch they remember the toy is there a day later - again, SMART (dogs that are less bright will assume if the toy rolled under or behind something it's gone - the doodle KNOWS it's there!) They know how to push the door open with their paws or nose, they know that yummy food is in the fridge, they recognize that when mommy puts her coat on they are going outside. If mommy also grabs her bag then we get really excited b/c we know we're going to daycare! They learn commands and tricks in a matter of minutes.

I could go on and on but they are definitely very smart dogs!

Bah humbug to that lady!!

·
Registered
853 Posts
That is such an amazing video! You should post this in a seperate thread so people will see it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts