Well I took Libby into the er vet last night. It was a very long and expensive night! I got so much information that I didn't know about that I want to share with all of you fellow doodle lovers, but first.... Libby is ok and at the moment she's at our regular vet and will be (God willing) home on Wednsday night.
Now for the info....
1. Any coins or metal that is swallowed is considered VERY SERIOUS. The worst coin that a dog can swallow is a NEW PENNY. The newer ones are made of 96% zinc which can be deadly to a dog if gone untreated. This type of metal changes their blood cells somehow and causes them to burst. The er doc said even a large dog can die from swallowing a few new pennies!!! So the first thing we did was call the poison control center to find out how much zinc was in the new presidential coin. I think it was only 6% or something very low like that.
2. Even with coins that are low in zinc and copper, if they are left in the stomach it can become and obtrusion and get lodged in the intenstines causing a lot of damage. That was the biggest concern for Libby. They said the size of the $1 coin is so big compared to her stomach and intestines that it was extremely unlikely that she would be able to ever pass it on her own.
3. If she was lucky enough to first swallow a coin w/out zinc AND somehow it didn't become an obstruction in her intestines there was still a 3rd concern. If any coin or metal object is left in stomach for a long period of time, the stomach acids will begin to eat away at it and all of the zinc, magnesium, copper, etc. will be absorbed into the liver and other internal organs which can cause shock, sickness and other complications.
Wow! I never knew any of this! I hope this helps someone else, but I also hope that all of your doodles stay safe and you never have to worry about this!
Thanks for all the replies! Thank you everyone for creating a great place like this for a new doodle mom like me to turn to!