Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we have had Bodzin for about 3 months now. We knew that he had been given up because he was shy... but we thought that we could help him with this by socialization and all.
I take him to public places as much as possible, doodle romps, neighbors houses, etc....
He still will not let a stranger pet him willingly. I have to drag him over to the person and then he doesn't bark or growl or anything, but he wants to get away.
He always barks when we have someone come to the door and continues to bark once they are inside. He usually stops once I grab his nose and shush him though. Once he is quiet, I reward him for the quiet behavior though.
He always wants to be by my side when we have parties at our house and won't let guest love him like they want to.
Any suggestions on helping him overcome this? I have also tried handing out treats to every guest at the door so that he has an incentive to go meet them. He usually goes up to them, sits, gets the treat and then runs off.
I really want my dog to enjoy other's company... am I being impatient here or doing something wrong?
Will me getting another pup help this out?
Thanks,
Leah

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Tanner is 18 months old and he only likes his family, his daycare workers, the vet and assistants and those who come regularly to our house. Oh he likes people who bring their dogs with them especially. He loves to go to Petsmart and other dog stores. He stays with us and doesn't bark but he doesn't want strangers to pet him.

I am fine with that. He is just discerning. I would not call him aloof because he is the most fun and happy dog I have ever owned.

He is not afraid in public and likes to watch people...doesn't bark or growl. In our house he does bark at repairmen and such. We are working with him on that. I keep him in the next room in a down stay and pet him and talk to him while my husband talks with the person. He will sense that it is okay after a bit then he stops barking.

Hope that gives so incite to a similar doodle :wink:

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
We have had Kirby for over 6 months now and we are still working on many things you mention. He barks at almost anyone or anything outside, but once he can meet them he is much better. He is afraid of so many things (just today I was walking him and a car made a strange noise driving over snow and he was clearly afraid of the noise). We have found he is getting better with time. We just don't make a big deal out of things and try to calm him down when he gets scared. We try to get him to sit and be quiet when there is someone outside (treats work well). It just takes time - sometimes he would rather bark at the stranger than eat a treat.

Just keep taking him places and don't force situations on him. If there is a petsmart/petco near you I would take him there and let him explore things at his own pace.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I've had Miko for a year now, and she is still shy when we are out and meets people. She will let them pet her if I put her in a sit. She has finally in the last few months approached my family for attentio when they come to visit. It used to take her hours of them being here for this to happen. In the home, just let her go to people when she's ready instead of vise versa. Time will be the healer along with getting her out and socialized, Maybe a puppy class? Good luck!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
annieG said:
Tanner is 18 months old and he only likes his family, his daycare workers, the vet and assistants and those who come regularly to our house. Oh he likes people who bring their dogs with them especially. He loves to go to Petsmart and other dog stores. He stays with us and doesn't bark but he doesn't want strangers to pet him.

I am fine with that. He is just discerning. I would not call him aloof because he is the most fun and happy dog I have ever owned.

He is not afraid in public and likes to watch people...doesn't bark or growl. In our house he does bark at repairmen and such. We are working with him on that. I keep him in the next room in a down stay and pet him and talk to him while my husband talks with the person. He will sense that it is okay after a bit then he stops barking.

Hope that gives so incite to a similar doodle :wink:
I think you just described Sandy! Iris (or Lois as her nickname has morphed into) is completely opposite - she's never met a person she didn't love immediately.

·
Registered
70 Posts
we have much the same problem with leo. He didn't use to be so shy but in the last few months he's become wary of strangers and especially other dogs-he barks loudly at any other dogs or people. we hoped puppy classes would help but all the other dogs are small-there's three shi tzu's. leo is the rebel of the class :lol: i think all of the other owners are scared of letting their dogs near him..
i would have given out treats at the door but you've already tried that..i'm not much help :oops: but would be interested in what other people have to suggest

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
i wonder how much is a quiet shy temperament verus the more outgoing type along with age

Just as some people are quieter and others more extroverted, same with dogs. Though with socialization a bit of it can be overcome.

Max was more a quiet, shy as a puppy with people becoming more outgoing as he matured. But confident with me,my family and close friends.
He trained easily and quickly yet has always been a bit of a mamma's boy and comedian.

Peanut is everyone's buddy but went thru many fear stages of objects (not people). she is great both outside in public and inside. with kids she's awesome.
As a puppy she was high energy and an explorer but now she's calm, sticks to me like glue and still funny as ever.

Beau is quiet with meeting new people and looks to me or Dave for an okay before greeting someone. he's also great in training class and won't play with another puppy unless i encourage him to do so.
while he's a laid back submissive personality he's also has a quiet self- assurance to him that's admired and noticed by others.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Puppy personalities, lol, cool. Samantha seemed timid at first and agressively playful dogs scared her the first couple of times, now she would tackle the world. She loves people, if she sees someone she stares, starts wagging her tail, and then wants to run right to them. I agree that all dogs are different, they have idividuality.

Have a great week.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
My brother has a Standard Poodle who can behave like this even at 7 years.
His opinion on this is that poodles are more aloof and standoffish. Maybe your doodle has more of the poodle personality? Bogie has the Lab coming out in him and is overly social.....and not shy at all.
I think Bodzin will overcome this with time. The treats when people come in is a great idea!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
jumpinjacuzzijoe said:
The opposite can be a problem too...jumping on new people we meet...Bubba is working on that
bubba isn't jumping, he's just getting a closer look at who he says hello to :wink:

·
Registered
127 Posts
We're getting Ginny over her shyness and at my vet's recommendation, you should get them out as much as possible for socialization. Don't force them to meet people however. People will want to pet them because doodles are just so darned cute, but sometimes you just have to explain that the dog is shy.

Any of the books by Caeser Milan, The Dog Whisperer, are REALLY good on the subject and mostly espouse getting out in public with the dog, but having people ignore the dog until the dog comes to them.

We had guest over at XMAS time and told them before hand to ignore Ginny. By the end of the evening she was approaching them.

Actually I guess that's where Ginny and I are a lot alike. I wouldn't want strangers coming up to me and touching me all the time either! I think I'd duck away too :wink:

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I try to expose Abby a few times a week by taking her to a mall or other place where there are lots of people. People are in such a hurry that they hardly stop to say hello, they just reach out to the dog for a pet. Most of them miss when she squirms away from their hand, however if I stand and talk to someone who is not giving her any eye contact or vibes she sits perfectly or lies down to wait patiently (for which she get slots of praise). I'm certain at this time she cannot pass CGC class because of this situation. Just have to put in more time and be patient myself since she is smart enough to learn this...m,

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I don't think getting another dog right now would be the answer. I think I would look into a good obedience class, it would be good for Bodzin to get use to being around other people and dogs and also would be a good opportunity for a trainer to guide you in what to do in certain situations to help in bringing Bodzin around. Good luck :)

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
dixiedi said:
I don't think getting another dog right now would be the answer. I think I would look into a good obedience class, it would be good for Bodzin to get use to being around other people and dogs and also would be a good opportunity for a trainer to guide you in what to do in certain situations to help in bringing Bodzin around. Good luck :)
I think you should do the classes. Normally after a class your dog will be able to have group play time. And that may be good.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the advice....
Bodzin is starting classes here in the next week. Everyone does want to pet him so badly, it is funny how I feel bad because he is shy.
He is super love-y to me, my husband, the two bachlors who live next door, my mom, and my mother-in-law.
I will also try to find a dog whisperer book on amazon or something. We don't get his show on TV, but my in-laws always watch and tell me the tricks they learn.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts