Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working with some very sweet and caring dog owners who have lost (or nearly lost) their small breed dogs due to poisoning from chicken tenders (chicken jerky treats). In researching this topic, I found another, even more frightening, warning. Please take some time to read these articles. American consumers must take action because it is clear that our government will not. Please help me spread the word.

http://www.laciessite.org/

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/200805 ... sI3gys0NUE

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Thanks Jac for this
I used to buy a version of these chicken tenders from Costco
Denver never had a problem but once I saw the post months ago now
about these I quit buying them...................
It is very sad that they continue to sell a product that is harming animals
and the other article about people is just sickening............

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
last year I bought a bag of chicken strips at Costco. Within one week Tuesday had the squirts and was throwing up. The only thing new was the Costco chicken strips. I had went on line and found out the list of deadly NON-RECALLED treats. There was the Costco strips. I told my vet about it and had printed up a copy of this page....if you scroll down, you can read about the cost-co treats. She gave me something to give her for a few days, for bacteria I believe. She also asked for the print out as she had a few other dogs with simular symptoms and had not heard about this.
WHY DIDN"T COSTCO PULL QUESTIONABLE PRODUCT OFF OF THE SHELVES!!!!!
That was back in Oct......still irritates me! :evil:
Did I mention that she was feeding 11-5week out puppies? A few had a little bit of the runs, but I caught it before a major problem developed!
Tuesday looks really good and eats well, but I always wonder if I should do a kindey test? Or am I just a big worry wart?
To this day I am overly cautious when it comes to treats....that is why I freaked out when I caught the Fed-ex man tossing dog biscuts to my dogs over the fence.
http://petfoodtracker.blogspot.com/2007 ... d-dog.html

·
Registered
434 Posts
I was at Costco just the other day and they had a notice posted in front of thier chicken jerky treats stating that they were safe because they were irradiated. That really ticks me off...I have not bought them in a while, but considered it. Glad I didn't. Thanks for the info Jac!

Leslie

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for sharing your stories and support, as always...you are wonderful!
Judi, would you please write your account (including the web link) on the new forum I mentioned above? I think that the more we work together the more we can help.
I am in tears...Judi, I got the chicken tenders that killed my baby girl from Walmart...and my pup died in November of 2007! They could have saved her life, but money was more important. I am just sick.
When they asked for her picture for this forum, I found the one that I have not been able to look at since she passed...and I finally opened the package that contained her little paw print, sent from the vet and taken when she passed. I still shed tears for her, Dave did too...and now, as I read this post...Judi, I didn't know! I really didn't! I assumed...but I had no real idea. I do now. It makes me sooooo angry!
I plan to continue to tell the story...In memory of my "Little Pink"

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
((((((((((((((Jac))))))))))))) thank you so much for posting this topic about the toxity of this food/treat.

I am so sorry to hear of your loss but you also may prevent others as well. thanks again

G

·
I stopped buying the chicken jerky when I saw it was made in China. It is so sad that dogs have to get sick and die for profits.
I got this in an email today. It is supposedly stills from a Chinese TV station documentary on questionable practices in their chicken industry. If this is how chicken is processed for humans, I can only imagine what happens in the processing of the jerky for pet dogs. China does not have a humane record with dogs:
http://tinyurl.com/4wabym

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Jac i really appreciate you and others that post topics like this to keep us all aware and also to keep our dogs safe!
thank you

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, Ann Marie, it is tough to face the facts sometimes...but if I would have known to not be so trusting back then...*sigh*

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Sorry about losing your little girl Jac. Could have been me in mulitiples, I was very fortunate.
I will work on that post, will warn you though, English wasn't one of my stronger points.....I was all into the science & math!!! :lol:
My husband has been a vegitarian for years, my daughter for about a year, I'm still not ready to totally give it up! I am VERY fortunate to be able to purchace my beef from a ranch down the road. Organic, humane & no exposure to outside cattle (a closed ranch). Their ranch is one of only a few in the US that is approved for pharmaceutical injectible collagen, (the stuff everyone is pumping their face with).
http://www.pratherranch.com/bse.php
I can have my burger and feel a little less guilty & alot safer! It's nice to know that some farmers have a heart!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Interesting, Judi, thanks! It is nice to see the steps they take to promote healthy cattle...and to think that they began long before bad practices were part of the way of business!
I'll have to check out their markets...bet the meat is expensive...but good!
Say, if you ever feed raw, this would be a great place to get the meaty bones! Gosh, you ought to check with them...you could get a nice side business going...selling frozen beef bones to dogs, from a clean, wholesome source...I'd buy!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts