Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the deal. A breeder near me and I have agreed to allow me to have a dog of hers with me as the guardian. I will be training this dog to be a therapy dog to work with children at summer camps, schools, and hospitals. I really have no issues with the contract or anything, but am having a hard time choosing which dog of the three females to take. Here are my choices:
CHOICE ONE:
Momma dog
She is 2 years and three months old and has two litters. She was in a guardian home before but those folks couldn't keep her because of health problems that they developed. She is a wooly f1b and has a great personality. She is great with children and isn't reactive to distractions so much.Her coat would be on the high maintainence side. She is already housetrained and knows some commands. If I choose her, she will have 2 more litters and then I will have the option to spay her or to continue to breed her once more and keep the pups/sell them if I wish. I have to get her delta society certified for her to remain intact. She is 44 pounds. Here is her picture:

CHOICE TWO:
Sunny the Pup
This is a pup born early January who will have a wavy fleece coat and has a calm disposition, but friendly. She is a multigen Australian (mom is the other choice, dad is from Tegan lines I think) She would have 3-4 litters and then be spayed and become solely mine. Really she is super pretty and has a nice personality. I would get her at about 11 weeks old. Here is her picture:

CHOICE THREE:
Maggie the pup.
She is brown and white and an f1B. Mom was a brown labradoodle, dad a chocolate standard poodle. I haven't met her, but the breeder says she has a lovey personality and she has a curly coat that will possibly be more of a shedder, but maybe not. She will be 14 weeks by the time I get her. Here is her picture:

Now.... I am a teacher and work 7:30-2:30 and have the typical teacher breaks and all. We already have an f1b neutered LD who is amazing with other dogs and is adjusting nicely to our home since we got him at Thanksgiving. He is the color of the first two dogs, cream and white. I would be using a crate with the pups. I also am very active and like to hike, run, etc.... We frequently take our dog where he gets very dirty and so the coat is something of a concern as far as manageability. I have experience with breeding animals from my upbringing on a farm and would love that experience... but it isn't a huge priority since I figure that there are enough people breeding out there. I think that having that option to breed is intriguiging though.
Any ideas or initial thoughts? I am in love with all of them...argh! and I have to decide very very soon.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I would probably pick Sunny, if I were you. Just because, Maggie sheds and Lacey's coat is high maintenance, which could be hard to keep mat-free with going on hikes and all. Then again, I dont know if you have time (with being a teacher) to train a young puppy, so then you might want to think about Lacey. Can you trim her fur so its not so high maintenance? Is there a reason its so long (other than it makes her look really cute)? Especially with summer coming and its going to be hot...

I'm probably no help at all... :p lol. Hopefully someone else can help you more :D haha

·
Registered
401 Posts
Then again, sunny's coat doesnt look very curly either so she's likely to shed too....

Okay, I've made up my mind... I would pick Lacey :D

·
Registered
670 Posts
They are all beautiful, but I'd say Maggie. It's too early to tell about the shedding, darker color if she gets dirty on the hikes, and most important- That sweetheart is TOOOO CUUUUTE for words!! :D

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
OMG I am in love with Maggie...haha...but that's totally based on looks :)
hmmm...her coat looks a lot like Dexter's. He barely sheds (just a tiny bit of hair found here and there).

I guess it depends on your lifestyle...choosing the older dog (Lacey) would give you a mostly trained dog and probably won't be much work for you.

Since your current dog is light colored I would choose Maggie if you wanted a puppy just to have a different looking dog :)

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I love the chocolate with the little tufts of white on the chest and chin.....that would be my pick. But they all sound good, it is a win-win-win decision really

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I would go with Maggie, if training a pup while having already a pup of your own is not a concern. This decision is based purely on looks!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I vote for Maggie too. Look at those eyes and that tiny patch of white. Too adorable. :lol: :lol: :D

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I vote for Maggie. I love the Chocolate doodles. But with whatever one you pick you will be very happy. They all look like great dog/puppies. :D :D :D

·
Registered
593 Posts
Sunny is very cute and also still on the younger side.
Maggie is just beautiful with her chocolate colors, but again a puppy.

Mama would probably be easier as you are a teacher and have a fairly busy schedule. Both my parents are teachers and I know we would have a hard time training one pup, much less two...

Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hummm

Thanks for the replies...

if it was all about looks, Maggie would win. My only problem with her is that I haven't met her in person. She would be something of a gamble.

Right now my husband is all about the blonde puppy. He is open to maggie, but really likes the wavy fleece that the blonde pup has. He also thinks that a puppy will better match with the personality of the dog we already have.

I also am leaning towards the blonde pup, but the chocolate Maggie is still appealing (not only because of all of you) but also because of the mystery of her.

The trainer seems to think that the pups will be easier to train for therapy overall because you can train a 2 year old, but socialization skills are learned much earlier. I am not sure how the older one will be in groups.

I will let you know what we decide.... argh!

G

·
Sunny...because I would want the wavy, fleece coat (since I already have a curly wool coat) and she is calm.
Lacey's coat would be the most difficult to manage unless you kept her short. Maggie's coat looks thick and woolly, too. Sunny's coat looks silky. I think fleece easier to maintain than wool, but I might be wrong?
But, I don't think you could go wrong with any of the beauties!

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Can I change my vote. I say go with gene. I think all three are cute.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ahhh

It all boils down to...
which dog will be easiest to train and maintain? I have to kind of put the looks aside on this issue.... since this is going to be a working doodle hopefully.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Good luck with your decision.

Blonde labradoodles are the cutest!

Samantha(my dog) is on the floor and Shelly(tashapeterson's dog, Samantha's sister) is on the bed.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
If you go for the mom you do not go thru Puppyhood again

Maggie is my choice as i have a cream fleece nonshedding doodle that shows dirt all the time hhahaaaaaaaaa

Maggie? have you asked if she has hair or fleece coat? and if she shed possibly a real minimal one at best. Chocolate doesn't show dirt as easily, :wink:

as last resort put all their names in a hat and have hubby pick one out?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts