Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I are looking into getting a Labradoodle, but we are confused with the different generations.

We want a multi-gen, but if you breed a multi-gen Australian Labradoodle to a purebred Poodle, is this still considered a multi-gen Australian Labradoodle? How many generations of Poodle can be mixed in?

Thank you!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Chloe, welcome!
You ask a good question. It is easy to explain the F1, F1B, and even the Multigen...but when you start asking about breeding back to a Poodle, I wonder why anyone would want to do that, beyond the F1B generation. (Let me preface this by saying that it is totally my opinion...I do research the matter, but this is my own conclusions...nothing official.)
I am sure it is done, and I would think that the only reason would be because another multigen is not available, or too expensive.
Because breeding multi to multi would be the best mix...and Poodles are used to infuse the more Lab-type coats. Australian Multigens are a mix of at least 6 breeds the American Multigen can be several breedings of F1Bs or higher.
Poodles are usually bred back into the early breeds, for coat quality only.
You don't want to remove the Lab qualities by making the animal too much of a Poodle. (Heck, if you want a Poodle coat, buy a Poodle...they are marvelous family dogs!) Once you get F1B dogs, you generally want to breed to F1s or other F1Bs or even Multigens, but rarely do you add Poodle back in.
A nice Labradoodle is one with a good coat (various types) and a boxy build/face of the Lab.
ILA and LAA both have good information about the generations and you might want to ask the breeder that is breeding back to a Poodle why they are doing so. I would be very interested in the answer as I have not heard of this very often...I could be absolutely wrong! (If so, please let me know!!!)
www.ilainc.com
www.laa.org

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Hi everybody let me see if I can explain my opinion why breeders breed back to the poodle and why it is acceptable.

First here is a link to the LAA Grading Scheme:

http://www.laa.org.au/PDF/May%202004/Cu ... 202004.pdf

If you go and visit you will find it is acceptable to breed back to the Parent breed Poodle. They have listed 9 positions that a breeder can choose from for the 4 alloted uses. Breeders are not required to use all 4 but only if the addition of the Poodle is needed. Also, the Poodle is only allowed 2 times consecutively in the 1st 3 generations, after that you are not allowed to do consecutive Poodle matings in the final generations. They also state that there is room for the breeder's discretion for the placement/addition of the Poodle if needed. I did take the above from the LAA site.

You can also see on several breeders site that they do breed the Poodle back in when they need to. Even the Founders have done this and do find it acceptable when done right.

As a breeder myself I do plan on breeding my female Standard Poodle back to an ALFP5, and my reasons are these:

First and foremost he is very healthy and sound, and his owner takes very good care of all her dogs she is top notch in my book.

He has a wavy loose coat not the heavy wool coat I think that the 2 will make great puppies with very nice coats.

Other things I have considered are I have met the stud (a lot of breeders never do this they go off of what their told by the stud owner and do AI which is acceptable but what better way than meeting the dog in person) He is a wonderful dog with a comical personality, great temperament, very loving and friendly I can't say enough good about him on this subject.

Next is his build he has a very stocky Labby build nice head and body, now with all that said will every puppy out of the litter be stocky and breeder quality and the answer is no but not very many litters of pups if any are all breeder quality these are then sold as pet quality puppies for families who just want or need the Multi Gen because of allergies and the Poodle breed back in will help produce that.

I hope this helps people understand why it is acceptable at times in our breeding lines to bring the Poodle back in. :wink:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Well...that makes perfect sense!

The good thing about my opinions is that they are always subject to change! :oops: The bad thing about them...is that they are often misplaced...*sigh* it is a curse! :D

Linda, you are absolutely right...and I appreciate you setting this matter straight!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Chloe, there's no way I can improve on the info from Jac and Linda, so I won't try!

I do want to say that if you are considering a generation beyond the F1b, asking a breeder about the immediate parents, and if a poodle is one of them, it's REASONABLE to ask why! As you can see, Linda has thought out her plan and reasoning on her breeding program. That's what you should get from a reputable breeder. You might also ask if the multigen parent has been bred to a poodle before and what do those older puppies look like? Doesn't hurt to ask!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts