Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you guys noticed that your doodles play well with certain breeds, and not so well with others? I'm seeing definite trends with Boo, and was curious what other doodle owners have found.

Boo definitely plays well with his “relatives” (doodles, poodles, labs, golden retrievers). But I was surprised to see that he also plays well with corgis! (It’s a real hoot to watch!) He’s also good buddies with an Irish Wolfhound, who is extremely kind towards Boo. :)

On the other hand, Boo doesn’t play well with boxers, vizslas, and border collie- type dogs. He likes playing with boxers, but the playing always gets too rough and I have to separate them. And vizslas and Boo don’t mix well. I think his personality is too hyper and bouncy for them. Same thing with border collies. (My mom said that maybe the collies think he’s a sheep, ha ha!) :lol:

What have you guys noticed?

·
Registered
189 Posts
When Jofi was smaller, she really liked toy and medium poodles. She's had some good romps with standard poodles too but she's a bit big for the little ones now. She gets on well with labs - it's nicer if they're around the same age as she's a lively puppy! To be honest I don't see much of a preference in terms of her play mates - she's played with everything from Jack Russel's and shelti's to Great Danes and St Burnard's. She's met a few labradoodles too - there's a lovely big black F1 - you don't to know how hard it is to drag those two apart when it was time to go home!

For quite a while she had a big thing for bull dogs/bull terriers but she's happily moved on now :) (I like to call them bull-dozers the way they barge into one another) - she loves long haired dogs - bearded collies and 'Schapendoes' (these are popular in the Netherlands). She gets on well with Tibetan terriers (and schapendoes/tibetan terrier crosses). I find boxers are pretty rough too - but there's one we often see who's an absolute sweety. Jofi has a lovely little shelti friend - they're like sisters and play most days. She had a wonderful time the other day with an Italian water dog - they were giving one another doggy-kisses :). This morning she played very nicely with a big German shepherd.

The general rule with other dogs is... she'll bound up to them, lick them all over, jump all over them and if they comply then all well and good - if they're not interested, then she'll go and get a fuss made of her by the owner instead - or will find something else interesting to do :) - only once or twice have we had a problem with her bounding up to a not-so-friendly dog - usually German Shepherds - but she's never had more than a growl. I do worry sometimes that she's too friendly.

We live next to the biggest park in the city so she'll meet 20 or more dogs a day - she has regular friends but she's always meeting new dogs. It will be interesting to see if her taste changes as she gets older.

Libby

·
Registered
985 Posts
We have friends with Rhodesian ridgebacks, and we brought Chouette over there this winter when we were making deer sausage with them. The female ridgeback, who is apparently very territorial, went for Chou immediately and attacked her, rolling her over on her back. Chou was yelping, terrified. But once the ridgeback established dominance things were fairly calm, although the ridgeback does not like bouncy dogs so she stopped Chou's bouncing around her quickly.

We don't see a lot of other dogs in settings where they can play; I need to bring her over to see some friendlier critters!

Leslie

G

·
Maya's daycare teacher says she will play with any dog. Even ones that don't want to play with her. She says that Maya is easily distracted though so if the dog doesn't want to play with her the staff will direct her attention else where.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Tanner goes to a daycare several days a week and they have a wide variety of dogs there.

Tanner certainly prefers other poodle types..mixes and purebred. He loves to play with labs, retrievers, huskies...basically any large dog that isn't aggressive. He doesn't like small yippy dogs and generally the border collie type dogs don't like him.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Dexter loves to play with anyone and everyone. The only dogs he stays away from are the calm small ones who don't want to play...haha... A

At the dog park he normally plays most with labs/goldens/boxers (basically the more active dogs). Dexter's best friend is a boxer though :) They play so well together (when they are 1 on 1).

Kirby has his minor (or not so minor) obsession w/small dogs so that's his preference. However he does have a side to him that is like Dex and he is not choosy...when he is in a mood to play, he will play with whoever wants to play with him

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Cinnamon doesn't get that many choices. She plays with what ever is there. Her BFF is Sarah, a German shepherd, Australian shepherd mix. After that is Duke, a lab mix (not sure with what - shelter dog), Hurc, another lab mix then there's Bear, a Great Pyrenees. He's a little big for her, but they still play to some degree. Cin doesn't get along with Bear's brother, a big German Shepherd. He's always growling at her and trying to herd her. He doesn't do that with any of the other dogs around, so we can't figure that one out, but Cin avoids him so all's good. We have cook outs by the lake with all the "kids" so there's plenty to play with.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Cacao likes most dogs. But she keeps with her own kind. My best friend has a labradoodle and he comes to play on Thursdays. But she really so far hasn't found a dog she doesn't like.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Tyke's best buddy is my uncle and aunt's Shih Tzu, Boogie, because she sees him most often and he was probably the first dog she met, other than her family. He's about a year older than Tyke and has the same energy level - heaven help us! :roll:
I have noticed at some of the agility meets we've been to that Tyke is much more attracted to the dogs most like her, the poodles and Portuguese water dogs -the shelties are too yappy for her, and the border collies seem to be too intense for her - she ignores them for the most part.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
for us i'd say our doodles play best with other doodles and poodles who have teh same traits with jumping, twisting, teeth clicking wars, doodle 500 runs, weaving etc

they do play well with other breeds but seem to really come to life with other doodles and poodles

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Charlie wants to play with just about every dog. His best friends are doodles and golden retrievers.

The other breeds you mention - border collies, etc. - usually don't want to play with him.

Deb

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Dakota's best friend is Sparky, a lab/rottie mix that basically raised him from a pup! To be honest, Dakota will play with most any dog for a little while, but he soon gets bored and seems to prefer the company of people . . . ideally people with tennis balls . . . :wink: Has anyone else experienced a people-preference with their doodle?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Boyd loves to play with ANY dog - like Maya he will try to play with all the dogs at daycare and the staff has to steer him away from the grumpy ones!!!

On the other hand, Boyd's uncle Winston, an Airedale Terrier, prefers people to other dogs. It's such a hoot at the dog park b/c he'll run around and greet all the humans and ignore the dogs. His dog walker said it's like dropping off your kid on the first day of kindergarten and trying to get them to go into the classroom and mingle!! :lol:

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Denver's best buddy is a Bullmastiff named Winston
His best girl is a Golden Retriever named Jessie
Denver really loves and prefers people though just like Dakota...........
He plays with all dogs well(except for huskies) but prefers the smaller doggies,other than his buddies mentioned above.

If he has a ball nearby then he could care less about playing with
any dog...................

He is drawn to other Doodles when we come across them..........

·
Registered
593 Posts
Sammy is too shy...
We're working on socializing him with the neighbors lab and other doggies because he smells them and then hides behind me...

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
so far Toby has nt met a dog he did nt want to play with..

each morning we go to the dog park where there s small and
big dog s of all breed s that he want s to romp with..

·
Registered
385 Posts
Manchie's BFF is Turner the Viszla. They met when they were young and have been playing together ever since. He also had a really good friend who moved away that was a Husky. Oh and he goes way back with 2 different English Bull Dogs who he doesn't play with so much any more now that he has little miss Brie around to match his style.

Brie really likes small dogs. They both LOVE and I mean LOOOOOVE Puggles. There is something about those little dogs that make the go wild! I think the Puggles love to play rough and it really riles the doodles up.

They are both okay with any dog but the older they get the more they only really play with each other.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Molly loves and wants to meet all humans and dogs. She plays every day with her best buddies Riley and Rupert - 2 black labs 2 yrs and 1 yr old. Sometimes Loula an Airedale pup and Emma a Jack Russel terrier show up and Babe (old girl - black lab) to check things out and take a dip in the creek.

I love the way Molly and the labs play - lots of wrestling and then standing on their hind legs boxing - they have such a good time!

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks everyone for all of your feedback! Its so interesting to read about different doodles’ experiences with other dogs. And its nice to know that Boo isn’t the only doodle that border collies dislike! :wink:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts