Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK im not for pain, hurting etc. however Lincoln did come with a pinch collar and does well with it meaning im not having to yank him of course with it etc. The obedience school recommends the nylon type made from parachute material however after researching i have found that those types do NOT release quickly and are good for the hyper spazzy dogs which he is NOT! Im wondering if a humane choker ( martingale collar) would work on him. My greyhound has always used one of these.
I never knew you shouldnt use a regular tag collar as their walking collar.

SO my parents came to visit he looooooved my mom BUT as soon as my dad walked in ( Big guy) he growled and barked that even my dad looked scared and i think looked at me like "what the heck did you adopt"
:lol: I had Lincoln sit and i stood over him and he seemed much more calm. My dad then had a treat in his hand and Lincoln looked at me to see if it was ok to take and when i said you can have it he took it and licked my dad :) it was a very good visit and im soooo glad my parents like him especially after they saw how trained he is with some commands. We of course are still working on the walking on the leash

michele

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
awwwh...I'm happy it went well.

My parents aren't dog people either...they finally came around with Dexter...and now they see how good Kirby is they sort of like him too...haha...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I always had two with Star our greyhound because thats what they recommended. a collar with her name and her martingale humane choke. Then lincolns foster told me and i read online that the collar with tags should be lose and worn all the time. the walking lead,collar etc should only be warn when they are going for a walk. Especially with the choke, martingale type etc they can get caught up in them around the home etc.

However, for years we always walked our poodle with just a collar. if i was to use just a collar with Lincoln at the present time he would be taking ME for a walk
:?

Michele

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I have three collars for Tanner. His round leather collar which has his tags on it. He wears during the day except for when we go on walks. For walks I use two collars. I have a martindale, a wide one. I use this for quick trips outside to do his business.

For serious walks, when we might encounter other dogs and strangers, I use the pinch collar. I use the one from Petsmart with rubber tips on the prongs. At my age and with my arthritis, I can't have Tanner pulling. When he has his pinch collar on, he is very well behaved.

The above may all change after today as we are having the first session with an in-home trainer this afternoon :roll:

G

·
Maya wears her main collar with her tags on it at all times. I have a gentle leader harness that she also wears when on walks or at the beach.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Nicky wears his regular collar with tags all the time. I just got him a new one and a new matching leash! Both are the Lupine brand in the "New Wave" pattern. I found them on sale in a pet supply store that I was in for the first time. When we go for walks he also wears his Gentle Leader headcollar.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
For serious walks, when we might encounter other dogs and strangers, I use the pinch collar. I use the one from Petsmart with rubber tips on the prongs. At my age and with my arthritis, I can't have Tanner pulling. When he has his pinch collar on, he is very well behaved.
This is what I use when we go on walks (they get SO excited!) ......when we get far enought to where the road is way behind us, I let them run off leash(in the woods).
I have arthritus too, & I hold the 2 of their leashes in one hand, it is amazing how well they behave with that rubber tip prong collar.
I used it them when we were at the dog show because of the dog/strangers issue. I was informed by someone there that if I was caught using them there we would be kicked out. Fortunately, they got used to all the dogs and people & walked beautifully for us.
I have no problem with them now that I know how they work, but previously concidered them cruel....silly me!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Peanut and Beau wear their regular collars all the time.

I just started peanut on a martingale like collar for OB training which Max uses too inside the house or at class.

However, out at public places, parking lots etc Max then wears a prong collar for training and it promptly comes off once home.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Coco wears a martindale collar all the time...with her tags on it.
Abby just wears a lupine collar.
They both wear prong collars for walks....I never have to correct with those on....they heel beautifully and don't ever pull. Another story without them on....I can't walk them without them. I take them both at once and with the prong collar on, I can have them on a loose leash held in one hand.
I love it!
8)

·
Registered
659 Posts
annieG said:
The above may all change after today as we are having the first session with an in-home trainer this afternoon :roll:
We recently had a trainer (a friend of mine) spend an entire morning with Ozzie and Carol, just working on walking. Ozzie now walks with just a plain old collar.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Cali wears a buckle collar with her tags all the time and a prong collar on walks otherwise she would pull me down the street! :shock:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
i'd say the type of collar you use depends alot on the personality of your doodle along with the type of training or walking you are doing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am such an ignorant newbie...Holly wears just a plain old nylon buckle collar all the time, for walks, etc (I take it off if she goes in her crate). She is a HORRIBLE leash-puller. What exactly is a martingale??

My husband bought a choke chain for her, but I hate the idea of it, plus she is able to slither out of it. He uses it for walks but I just use her regular collar...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts