Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I give pig's ears and cow hooves and bully sticks and all that stuff to Coal now at 10 weeks? Do I need to supervise him at all times with these kinds of treats or are they relatively safe? I have bought him a whole bunch of flavored nylabones and he seems pretty uninterested after an initial chew or two. What is the best as far as being tasty and safe? In your experience, are the dogs occupied with these types of chew things for long periods of time?? Thanks

·
Registered
163 Posts
Bully sticks are truly from god I believe!
Boone loves them, and they are safe. The vet recommended them over rawhide since they are softer, so safer for fragile puppy teeth. It gets soft with chewing, and it's almost impossible for them to bite a piece off that's larger than a piece of kibble.
I always supervise Boone with pig ears cuz he loves them so much he chews them up so fast, and I'm terrified of him choking on anything. So when it gets to the point where it fits totally in his mouth, I take it away from him.
I am so paranoid about him choking! People call me crazy and that they are dogs and will just cough it up if it's too big, but I'm still too scared :oops:
The hooves I would hold off on till he's got his big boy teeth. They are very strong and could damage his milk teeth.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I don't give pig's ears because they always made my old dog extremely territorial. But now I have two doods, I haven't tried them. My guys won't do nylabones either or Kongs. They just want bully sticks and rawhide. I haven't found a chew yet that they can't get a piece off of - which raises the safety question. So from my standpoint you have to supervise with chews.

However my doods would tell you that garden hoses and wicker chairs are pretty cool. LOL!

If someone has found a chew that doods can't destroy please let us know here. My Gracie needs to chew almost constantly right now. Nothing lasts more than a few hours. I went looking at the pet store yesterday and found what was considered indestructable. Made from reinforced fire hose material - very sturdy. It lasted 45 minutes before pieces started coming off.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Yes, you can give chewies at 10 weeks. In fact, I have them in the pen with my 4 week old puppies and they love to chew them!
I prefer the things like pig ears and bully sticks because they are digestible. Rawhide isn't. My dogs do love rawhide though and I give it to them and begin to take it away when it starts to break up.
Bully sticks and cow hooves STINK! Ugh! Especially the hooves...I can't stand to have them around.
Bully Sticks don't last long enough to make me sick. The dogs love them. (by the way, they are made from pretty gross stuff...probably why the dogs love them!)
I have decided to let my dogs have rawhide more now than I used to because I figure that it can't be much worse than pieces of plastic from toys and balls (and shoes!) or than wood chips from trees and shurbs!
Yep, Doods are chewers! After the first year or so, when they mature, they still like chewy toys, but leave the house alone!
I also like to get the tendons. They are digestible and last a long time.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Jac, I didn't realize that rawhide was so bad for them. I agree with you about the smell of the bully sticks and hooves. It makes me gag. However, this morning I gave each of my doods an 8" braided bully stick. They were completely gone in about 20 minutes. And they are expensive!!

Also, beware. I bought a Kong tug toy (about 16" long, two big loops with handles made out of that familiar Kong material). My guys had ripped an entire handle off in about an hour. They loved it so much, I was really excited I'd finally found the chewy toy from heaven. But now it's in the trash - too dangerous.

How about those sterilized stuffed bones? Does anybody have any experience with them?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Chewies!

Ahh the quest for the perfect dog chew. Summer loves cow hooves- but they are super stinky! She gets rawhide in moderation. She doesn't show a ton of interest in nylabones (once they get a taste of the good stuff, who wants a boring nylabone?)
I think sterilized marrow bones (shin bones) have truly saved my furniture and my sanity. I'm super worried that Summer will choke on a big chunk of rawhide, or worse, get a blockage from a big chunk. I give her just the plain marrow bones, without the filling, because I have always questioned exactly what that "filling" is. She chews on them for about a day without anything in them, and then I fill them with my own goodies- peanut butter, cheese from a can (her favorite), or just a dog biscuit jammed in one of the ends. She can't get big chunks off, although she does eat some of the bone. One word of caution: they are bone hard, and some people may say that bones can break dogs teeth. I have never had it happen, but Summer is not a super aggressive chewer.

Bridget and Summer

·
Registered
183 Posts
I get these rawhide rolls from Target that appear to be made of pressed rawhide--unlike the rawhide with the knot at the end, they do not go into little pieces that can choke a dog. They do disappear in about 20 minutes though, and it wouldn't be good to give them enough to keep busy all day. Fred has always loved to chew on plastic things--especially soda bottles. He will chomp away on a soda bottle for hours--even longer than a rawhide, so for him this may be the perfect chew. It makes your house look a bit trashy though :lol: He also likes frisbees, but these he chews apart, but he never swallows the pieces--I have watched him, and then checked his poop for pieces until I really was ssure. He just bites off little pieces and spits them out--so this is a toy I can leave him with unsupervised. It is kind of funny to see him spit out these pieces of plastic. I have also found that Fred likes to play hiding games with his toys--he loves it when I put a toy into his shoebox and put the lid on loosely. He will nose the lid off and then take the toy out and put it back in, and this will keep him amused for a while. He also has a blanket that he loves to hide things under and then dig up. Another good toy--not for chewing--are tennis balls and hand balls. Fred can amuse himself for quite a while with one of his balls. In addition to the chewing urge, Doods are smart dogs and they do get bored, so you need to find activities to keep them busy.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I was sure tennis balls were safe until I found all the fuzzy outer stuff all over the terrace! They doodles just have to get to the core of everything.
I pray there are no blockages, but my doods have eaten dirt, rocks, etc.
Tonight they got compressed rawhide rings that seem to be lasting!
We watched them for a long time. No chunks. Hooray!! But still expensive!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Lisa, I didn't know about rawhide either, until someone on a forum told me! :wink:
Ronnie, I had to laugh at the things your dog finds to do. Mine have done much the same...and my home always has something chewed up on the floor!
I would hide things too...I used paper bags because when they were finished getting all of their toys and treats out, they could amuse themselves by ripping up the bags. You should see the little ones diving head-first into a large bag...they loved it when I would leave because they got the goodie bags!
Another thing I do when I leave is to lock the doggie door so they can see me but can't follow, and I hide those small, round chicken nuggets. I treat it like an Easter egg hunt! They find every last one too. Amazing!
Another fun treat for the dogs, especially in summer is ice. Many doodle owners have discovered the joy of small ice cubes!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Tennis Balls are bad for thir teeth, I'm not sure why but Di has posted before that they are bad for them to chew on. Maybe she'll post why sorry but I can't remember just that they aren't good for them to chew on.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, I guess I'll have to break down and buy the little guy some nasty dried up animal parts eventually but yesterday I found a bone that Coal actually likes! It's by nylabone and I thought the package said Healthy Edibles but I went on the Petsmart website and I think they are called Nylabone Snack Bones. They are supposed to be completely digestible and come in a ton of flavors like bacon, cheese, spearmint, bbq, peanut butter, etc. Anyway, he likes it! We have the bacon. He's at my feet chewing away at the bone right now! He even understands, "Get your bone". Smart little dood!

Thanks you guys for all of your replies. There are SO many choices when you go to the pet store that it feels very overwhelming!

·
Registered
7 Posts
chews

My 6month old doodle Penny loves to chew! She can tear up a chewy stick in a few minutes. Her absolute favorite thing to chew on is an old plastic tupperware cup. She has had to same one for three months. She will dig it out of the bottom of her toy basket when she wants to chew. She hasn't broken any pieces off yet either, so I think she's safe with it for a while.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Gunner's favorite toy to chew on is one of Tullisen's old baby toys. It is a sensory rag and each corner has a different texture. One corner even has a squeaker. He has had it for several weeks and hasn't done too much damage. He isn't too hard on his toy yet; he just likes to leave teeth marks and holes in the boy's shirts, UGH!!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Something I found quite by accident is if you put a few Alpo Snacks (they are little square things) in a Kong, Cinnamon will work on that for hours! I'll have to admit, that I didn't find this until she was a good 8 months old and past the distructive stage. (She too found the wicker chair fun, along with woodwork and anything else wood!) Her Kong doesn't have any handles, though. It's just a plain red round cone thing. She has learned that if you drop Kong on the floor a lot then the snacks break and come out but they are safe to eat. Smart dog! When she is in a confined space, she will just "work" the snacks until they are soft enough to lick out. It will keep her busy for a long time and with all the noise, I know exactly what she's doing! It's when she gets quiet I worry!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts