Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, everyone! Our family is in the right place and time to adopt a dog into our home. I have been looking for about a month now. The Labradoodle looks like it has won our hearts!

My question is about coat type. I have been to quite a few websites to look at the dogs. Some coats we love and some...not so much. My husband has allergies so we need the coat to be fairly low shedding.

One one site we saw some pictures with a description of the coats. (The site is Danmar Labradoodles and if I am not supposed to write this I apologize. I just wondered if their pictures and descriptions are accurate across the board). They were adult dogs so we could really get a sense of the final result. But I am not sure that the coat descriptions are universal among the breeders.

Does someone know if the descriptions are standardized in any way? Or can someone recommend a good site to see more pics with descriptions of the coat types?

Thanks for you help. I am sure I will be asking lots more questions. We just can't wait to welcome a new member into the family!!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Our doodles are Australian Labradoodles, they don't shed and they don't have that doggy smell.

Here is a good site for Australian Labradoodle coat types

http://www.laa.org.au/lab-coats.html

and coat colours

http://www.laa.org.au/lab-colours.htm

I looked on the American Labradoodle site but there were no pictures
just this description

"Coat: A distinctive feature of this breed is that the coat is non-shedding and easily maintained. Any coat length is acceptable but preferable not past 4 inches in length. The coat should be even over the entire body. It should be straight, wavy or forming spirals. It should not be too thick or dense, nor should it be fluffy or fuzzy. It should be a single coat. Any sign of an undercoat is a serious fault. Can range between a fleece to wool in texture. Extremely harsh hair is highly undesirable.

The Fleece textured coat is a soft texture as in the Angora goat. It can either have a straight wavy look or a soft spiralling curl look. It is an easy to manage textured coat.

The Wool textured coat is like a lamb's wool in texture. It should have the appearance of looser spiralling wool, which opens up easily to the skin. It should not appear thick and dense or tightly curled. "

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
my Toby s coat is somewhat a mix of curly and wavy..you
can t tell much differance in his summer coat though..

his head, neck and shoulder is somewhat more curly..while
his legs and from the shoulder s back is wavy..but, sometime s
curl after getting wet :?

he has a fleece coat..very soft..he feel s like the fleece blanket
and the lining of my levi jacket.. :)

perhap s due to the warming weather he doe s shed a little..not
much though..and because he romp s in the dog park everyday
i wipe him down with a diaper towellet and brush him
every other day..

if someone is allergic to pollen or grass..and your dog is out
door s i would atleast wipe him down with a cold towel each time
he go s out door s..Toby is really hot blooded and enjoy s the
cold water wipes..esspecially on his belly

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Dex has a wavy fleece coat. You can get a good idea of it from my avatar photo. I have better ones if you want to see more.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is the coat we are looking for...wavy fleece. Gorgeous

We are about to put a deposit down on a puppy. I am so excited!!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Cissy, are you looking in your area locally? Or willing to consider a puppy via long distance (with other forum references?)?

My little girl Brandi has a wavy fleece coat - she's really small but a sweetheart and her mom Copper has definitely passed on the Labrador temperment, while her dad (12lb poodle) has given her the petite size:

Her brother Nick or Nickel has a thicker more dense coat so I would place him closer to the wool but here's his picture:

I think they are pretty good examples of the coat differences all the way around.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We would love to get a wavy fleece pup around 12-18 months but we are hampered by a few things;

1. We can't find one!

2. We need to be able to go no more than one days drive to reach it. Pretty much an 8 hour drive is what we would consider.

3. The cost. If we are going to spend a grand or more for a dog, then I just can't afford the shipping.

We have a local breeder here in Raleigh and one in a city about 45 minutes from here. One wants 2500 for a pup and the other is selling for 1500. Both mulit gen Aust. Labddles. As this is fairly standard for the pups, I guess we might as well stay close to home.

Your pups are BEAUTIFUL! Thanks for showing me such a great example of the two coats. And you website has a lot of good info and pics, too!

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Just as a reference, here are a couple of puppy photos so you can gauge what his coat looked like to compare:

Good luck to you!!

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awwww...what a cute pup. he turned out beautiful!

Thanks for the pics. We are so excited!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts