Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a male F1B puppy left that we really like. He is smart, mello and has a more of a spiral wool coat (he isn't silky like chenile). The only thing is that he is black, and what I have managed to dig up researching on this site is that black is not desired. His grandpa is black, but has produced a champion dark red dog. His father(red Apricot) on the poodle side comes from famous red lines, his grampa being Dk Red. I know that he would carry the the red/cream gene but of course will DNA test. He also comes from very prolific and genetically healthy lines. Dad is still studding litters of 11 at 10 yrs. old & grandpa litters this big at 11 yrs old. One other issue would be his size. He is now 29 lbs. at 4 months old. I suspect he will go 65-75 lbs.
Am I a total fool in considering him as a breeder? Of course I will do all the other testing but should I just forget it and fix him?
HELP!!!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Well to me it depends on your breeding program, blacks are harder for some to sell. I think in the 1st 2 generations they are the hardest also if you produce a whole litter of blacks. If your producing 3 or 4 out of ten then that might not be so bad. I would only consider him if he has the cream gene which is also like you said apricot, red and those variations. If he carried Brown gene that would be nice it is doubtful but would be nice.

As far as his size well there again depends on your program are you breeding large dogs or are you trying to produce smaller dogs?

One good thing is he might produce some awesome reds and that is a very good thing!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response gracielou....
After reading my question I guess I rambled...
I guess I should rephrase my question also, for the benifit of others since this where many, like myself, go to get my questions answered.
I understand that temperment is the number one consideration in a stud.
If someone was to look for a stud in general, what would be the ideal coat for an F1B, fleece or wool, what is ideal?
Color, I get the impression that ideally you would have a stud that is cream/red(and carries the brown gene) or brown (& carries the Cream/red gene).
And then there is size...is smaller the most popular?
(When selling my puppies there were people that had no problem with 65-75 lbs. and then there people who said that that was too big for them personally. I don't know that my dogs will reach that size, but I was honest with them that it was a possibility as both parents were good sized and I didn't want any puppies getting re-homed on that note.)
What would be considered the ideal stud?

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Oh wow Judi, I missed this question earlier... I wish more would have responded as I'd love opinions too!

I am picking up a new potential future stud in a few days. He's got a very mellow personality, and great temperament... so that's covered.
He's a standard poodle and comes from some good sized dogs... which I was considering getting away from till I met him.
He's chocolate, out of a chocolate dam and an apricot sire. There were several chocolates in the litter along with apricots, creams and a couple reds.

I am planning to breed Canada (black lab) and Moses (apricot SP) again and hope to keep at least one nice female out of the litter for future breeding. I also kept breeding rights to Snuggles, the black f1 pup out of this same pair from the last litter. So am hoping to gradually build a base of breeders to do f1bs from my own dogs.
Color wise, this pair produced 3 blacks (one is turning silver) 3 white, 3 apricot, 3 cream and a single red pup (which was still born). So since I want to be able to have a nice variety of colors in each litter, I'm hoping to repeat this by saving females out and introducing them to this new chocolate male later.

Obviously I'm a newbie in labradoodles compared to many here, so claim no authority on the subject. Yet am a strong believer in the "if you do what you've always done you'll get what you've always gotten" school of thought. Since I LIKE what I got, but would like to add some chocolate to the mix, I figure this is worth a try.

I am rather independent, so am going to breed what I like and hope others like them as well. It seems everyone has their own idea of "ideal" so there's no way you're going to really satisfy all tastes anyway. In my mind, if you like what you have then you've succeeded.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
silly question here: why not pay $50 and get DNA test done for color and disease?

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Tink! This whole stud thing is getting more and more complicated! I'm hoping for a big dash of LUCK thrown in there!
My goal is for those Dark reds and Dark browns!! and that darned "rufus" gene!
I just PM'd Annamarie this morning...I used to have a really dark brown female toy and a red-apricot male out out of a dark red male. From what I know now, I would have never produced a brown out of them, but I believe I had the makings for a Dark red, as I did produce a cream along with blacks and a Phantom. Only thing is that with toys, you only produce 2-4 pups per litter. With these larger litters, you have better odds of producing what it is you are aiming for when you put all the right genetics together! Then again....Annamarie talks about some things crossing out others. It would be nice if they DNA tested for more than just the BB's & the EE's.
And yes...my thinker has been sore too lately with this genetic stuff!!!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
hi, I love seeing others ramble on in their posts! Helps me feel at home. :wink:

I have a black girl that I breed to yellow (ee with all its variations) or brown. The genetic stability that a dominantly-colored dog gives is really immeasurable, according to professional breeders I've learned from. So, if your F1b black boy came from a red/apricot (ee) male, he definitely carries that color. And if you bred him to another ee dog, you should get 50/50 black and the yellow variations. Voila! Great results!

The trouble happens when people breed their dog without knowing what the mate carries, or what their dog carries, especially with regards to chocolate.

If you are thinking of using this black boy for breeding, then Annmarie's suggestion of the dna test is a good one for starting out wtih the whole testing process.

I hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Where is DNA color testing being done for $50?
I've been checking into it online and find $78... which if I do 3 or 4 adds up quickly!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Thanks Maureen. The test at that price and including that many different things, seems a great bargain and way to go. I'd like to get it done a couple of the dogs I plan to breed.

Now since I'm UNeducated in all this stuff, if I decide to keep back 2 females for future breeding out of my next litter... I'd still need to get the test done on both of them even though they're full sisters. I understand that part...

But if I do the parents and they both test negative for PRA and vWD aren't you pretty safe that the pups will as well? Unless mom or dad show as having it or being carriers that is...

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Wooooooohoooooooo!
I have gotten the go-ahead from hubby and will be DNA testing my dogs in the next few weeks. I'm so excited to find out all I can about them so I know what I'm doing putting them together and can offer them as free of certain genetic issues.

**Fingers crossed** that the results are as I hope them to be! I'm scared that something I don't want might show up too, but if it's there I really do need to know.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
tink, I was just re-reading your post and there's no need to test your chocolate poodle male - he would be bbee, with brown/apricot parents.

does that help?

your yellow dog could have a black nose and still carry chocolate, but a chocolate cannot carry black, and a yellow with a liver nose cannot carry black either.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Question Maureen...isn't it still good to DNA test the poodle at least for PRA and vWD which should be checked in poodles?

i am ordering the DNA for Beau by friday to confirm his color but also to rule out other things

as you can see i am "learning" too along with others :D

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
yes, of course it's good to rule out the DNA coding for PRA, or vWD, or other diseases, but the color is kind of a bonus in the case of certain brown or yellow dogs.

hey Annmarie, what did your vet say when you got Beau's hips x-rayed? Mine usually give me a heads up if there's going to be any problem with OFA

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
MY vet was on vacation and conferences for over 2 weeks he should be back by now ......so tomorrow i am calling to set up OFA test
i'll let you know as soon as i find out hopefully he can do this by next week.

OH for Penn Hip my vet doesn't do it, i had to go to special place/vet and they aren't allowed to say anything! they take xrays and send them out and that's it! :roll:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts