Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/myfox/pages ... geId=3.1.1

Hi,

Someone posted this link on the Pet forum on craigslist. Arsenic and lead in pet toys and dog bowls sounds SO bad. Have pet toys and pet bowls ALWAYS had lead and/or arsenic in them, but nobody paid attention until recently? Or, is this a more recent problem? I ask because the dogs I grew up with lived to be 15 and 16 years old, which I consider to be a good long life for their breeds, and they always chewed on the typical cheap rubber toys (they were smaller dogs than a labradoodle). But, I'm not sure if lead and arsenic were in dog toys in the 70's - 90's, which is when I had those dogs. I wonder about the Kong toys. I sure hope they don't have lead or arsenic. They seem so durable and great for Annabelle. She loves her fluffy ball and tennis balls and she also loves a child's soccer ball. She always has her mouth wrapped around a toy. Yikes. I wish we knew how to be sure if a toy has lead in it or not.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hardware stores have lead-testing kits for about $7. I bought a year or so ago to test my son's lunchbox, when there was a lot of press about lead being used in the interior vinyl linings. I think I'll buy another one to test Pixie's toys.

I agree, choose where to spend your money, be an informed consumer. Unfortunately, there is very little manufacturing left in the U.S., and we can't rely on other countries to have good safety standards in manufacturing...but almost everything we consume is made in other countries.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
sessa35 said:
gene said:
Gotta love the "made in China".... :roll:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

boycott.
It's one of the founding principles of this country.
Power through the CHOICE of where and how to spend your money.
hear hear i second the motion...i think my family is tired of hearing me say this hahahhaaha

max, peanut and beau may have alot of "toys" but mostly ones that are the same

rubber teething rings, kong ball and teethers,
a HUGE HARD PLASTIC INDESTRUCTIBLE jolly ball (not the one with handles this is different) yet costs $18
sounds like a bowling alley here at times but OMG all 3 have a blast rolling it around in thehouse,

tons of dead "carcasses" that make for great chewing and 3 way tug of war games.

and lastly their TANK knuckle joint bones that hurt like hell if they drop one on your foot by mistake

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
[quote="MaxandMea HUGE HARD PLASTIC INDESTRUCTIBLE jolly ball (not the one with handles this is different) yet costs $18
sounds like a bowling alley here at times but OMG all 3 have a blast rolling it around in thehouse,

tons of dead "carcasses" that make for great chewing and 3 way tug of war games.

and lastly their TANK knuckle joint bones that hurt like hell if they drop one on your foot by mistake[/quote]

Annmarie - do you have a pic of the "bowling ball" Annabelle loves to play ball

Annabelle has dozens of carcasses, stuffed toys, heavy plastic toys/balls and nylabones

G

·
I wrote to Kong and they just answered. Good to know the Classics are made in US!

All Classic KONG natural rubber
products are made in the US and have manufactured in FDA and USDA/APHIS
approved factories. All Ingredients are of US origin with one exception:
rice flour from Italy. Additionally, all KONG Stuff'N treats are tested for
quality assurance by independent USDA approved laboratories. Together these
lines represent over eighty percent of all KONG products.

The remaining KONG products: AIR KONG (tennis ball toys), KONG Plush, and
KONG Wubba are made in China. These factories are under strict KONG
Supervision and have proven to produce reliable and safe products. All
imported product lines are tested by independent laboratories to prove they
are safe and non-toxic. Once products are received in the KONG warehouse
they are again subjected to strict KONG quality control procedures to
further ensure our KONG products are the finest available.
No KONG product, toy or treat has ever been involved in a recall!
Thank you for contacting us. Sandy

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
MARY HERE YOU GO

the hard Jolly Ball

Around here i can get the 10 in and a 14 in ball

For Indoors the 10in is sufficient as the 14 in really should be used outside ?

they even use these ones at zoos :shock: for panthers, lions, etc

here's a description
This toys are made extra tough for big cats!

Heavy Duty Push-n-Play Jolly Balls are hard, durable, and tough with a thicker side wall (5/16" thickness) than normal Jolly Balls! They are hard non-toxic polyethylene plastic balls which are intended for soccer-like play to encourage healthful exercise as an alternative to destructive chewing, pacing, and other undesirable behaviors. The ball has a rigid side wall that is resistant, but not totally impervious to chewing and scratching.

The 14 inch diameter ball weighs 5 pounds and has a screw out plug which allows insertion of pebbles, bells, etc, to produce enticing noises. Add sand or water to add weight and stability for added resistance to puncture. It is recommended to fill the ball entirely with sand for all big cats or any particularly destructive wild felines. For wild felines, it is recommended that the plug opening be filled with epoxy cement once the pebbles or sand, etc, is inserted, so that the ball will no longer have a "focal point" for chewing.

The 10 inch six size would be appropriate for medium size wild felines, up to cougars, and similar sized animals of other species. Also appropriate for adolescent big cats or bears.They would also be appropriate for cubs of larger feline species.

This size ball is an excellent choice for any big cats of any age. Assorted colors.

So ya think it's doodle Proof? hahhaa
i've had ours a week and all 3 roll it around having a blast, it does NOT get under couches eithr hahaha
Ok it's a bit loud but we get a ton of laughs watching Max peanut and Beau together with it

ON Amazon.com it's cheaper than what a i paid

http://www.amazon.com/Push-n-Play-Jolly ... B0006N9K8O

1 - 8 of 8 Posts