Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a few specific questions I would like to ask the more knowledgeable doodle owners out there...

I've done some research on pet insurance-- I'm torn between paying more per month for more coverage (accidental, illness, and routine) or paying less for less coverage (only accidental and illness).

After calling a few companies, I'm now between PetCare (through Metlife), Aspca, and VPI.

I'm not quite sure what my focus should be. It appears that if I get more coverage- paying monthly for routine as well as accidental coverage that it would be cheaper in the long run. However, the "buts" of each policy make this seem less likely. I've also found that the ASPCA doesn't cover from year to year-- only if I pay $88 a month, which is complete care plus continue care. The two other companies cover different aspects and have different coverages.

So I guess what my question is, and sorry for the long intro, is that now that those who were asking the questions about pet insurance before have had a few months to figure it out, what did you guys find out, and what worked for you.

Thanks-- who knew pet insurance would be so confusing!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Morning! We have VPI pet insurance and it's saved me a bundle for the emergency type things!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I have Metropolitan's pet insurance. I chose this because I did it after I had Tanner Neutered and he had all his puppy shots and initial exam. If you do it immediately, it is a good deal because they cover that first year stuff...Metropolitan doesn't. I chose Metropolitan because they were the only one that I found that would cover heriditary things like hips, etc. It is mainly accident and major illness.

I had Petsbest with Hannah and they were pretty good but very slow to pay...lots of calls back and forth.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I have VPI insurance with the cancer rider

·
Registered
150 Posts
Angel (almost 7 mos.) is covered by VPI with routine coverage. Routine coverage is worth it for the first year b/c it covers part of spay, microchipping, vaccinations, etc. After the first year, I will drop this coverage and stick with the illness/accident. My deductible is $50 and then we have 90% coverage.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
we had vpi for our dane and the coverage was pretty good, we had the best plan. I know there were limitations but they didnt really affect us too much. overall not sure if we saved any money the course of his life as the policy was spendy and we had it a long time - actually they paid for a portion of his cremation or perhaps it was his euthinazation. regardless I do remember that they were fantastic about quick payment so that was a plus.

with 4 dogs we have chose to forego insurance but I am kicking myself with my 4 pound poodle as he has been to emergency vet 3 or 4 times for at least 5K so far in 4 years thanks to getting bit by big dogs. he isnt aggressive with them, they just dont get him I suppose and they bite him or they try to play with him with their teeth and it ends up costing me a thousand bucks :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts