Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After three "messed" beds, and another one that Napa seems to fall off of, I'm at a lost as to what to use as a "room bed." He seems to like to find the pile of our laundry- hey we're college students- or clean towels that are on the floor to lay on. I have also laid down the fleece blanket he came with, but he insists on laying on the more fluffy- but dangerous- throw blanket we've got on the floor right now. The bed he falls off of is just one of those normal rectangular pillows that isn't fluffy. In fact, its quite overstuffed. We would like to get something that he would voluntarily lay on, which is why we're looking for something that's fluffy. But we'd also like to find something a little reasonable. Any suggestions?

Also, does anyone know where I can find a waterproof pad for his crate? Right now nothing's in there since he messed up his last pillow, and they were "machine washable" but they never defuzzed. Or do any of you have any good things you put in your crate when you're gone that's easily cleaned? He pushes the towels we put down out of the way, so I'm not sure they work either. :x He is definitely a particular puppy!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Waterproof pads can be found at baby stores...or maybe wal-mart

I never put anything in the crate as i learned in the beginning it would get soiled. and also it's easier to wipe a plastic kennel crate than to keep doing wash

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HAHA yea, I'm learning that. I guess its still my "I-want-to-spoil-puppy" instinct. Perhaps I'll wait on the mat for the crate. But I'm still gonna look for a fluffy bed for the room. Two out of the three "messed" beds were in the crate. The third one was just a weird bizzare event.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I learned fast......nothing in the crate! Jonah ate all his bedding, and when I got Miko, he pulled hers through the cage, moving the cage about 5 feet while he was at it! :shock:

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Costco bed was the last one he ruined. Perhaps I'll make a trip back there tomorrow. See, Costco is dangerous for me.... they have delicious cheese danish!!!! >.< But the bed was pretty cool. It was the 3 sided one in some of my pictures. Napa had an explosion on it one night- aka the night Anthony decided to try to get him to not be afraid of the vacuum, needless to say, that did not go well- and we must not have cleaned it well enough. A few weeks later Napa apparently REALLY had to go, and just went over on it, and just let his bladder out on it. There really wasn't any saving it after that one. *sigh*

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
we just got a costco bed too. We had bought a previous one at target, but Dex is too big for it :) So now Dex sleeps on the large costco one and Kirby sleeps on the older one.

My 2 cents...We didn't give Dex a bed until he was 7-8 months old because before that he thought it was a toy and just wasn't ready for it. He would sleep on the rug in our bedroom after he was potty trained (6 mos).

·
Registered
448 Posts
Nicky has a pad in his crate which looks like this:
http://www.petco.com/product/101409/Precision-Pet-SnooZZy-Original-Crate-Beds.aspx

I'm really surprised that he hasn't eaten it! He did eat the big dog pillow I got for him.

Now he sleeps on the floor - either on hardwood or vinyl or carpet - or on a towel on the carpet next to my bed. I've thought about getting him another bed, but don't want to shell out the $$$ for something he might destroy as soon as I get it home.

G

·
I thought about getting Maya a bed but I don't trust her out of her crate yet unless she is on the bed with me. I am a very light leeper so I can hear or feel when she gets off the bed. In her crate I took the old blanket (comforter) that I used in college folded it and put that in her crate. It's easy to wash if she has accidents which so far she has been good. Just an idea if you have an extra blanket aroud you don't use. You could go to good will too and get one cheap if you don't

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Gene honey...do you want me to start posting MORE of your typos? hahahhaaaaaaa cause you're picking on a newbie , that's against the rules :shock: we have to let hmz819 acclimate to us for a bit before doing that hahhahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

then again i always was a firm believer in the "sink or swim" attitude along with we all have gone thru it as GENE doesn't give us a choice hahahaa

G

·
Not offended in the least!!! Gene you better watch out. When I come home for Thanksgiving I may just show up for a doodle play date. Home is Cleveland by the way. And my first high jacked post!!! I think that is a rite of passage!!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Okay- Back to the bedding question. I line Dante's crate with a non-skid Sherpa Mat - similar to the one found here

http://homeandkennel.petedge.com/Slumbe ... -ZA561.pro

I bought two so I always have one clean - they wash really well and the backing keeps them in place.

When sleeping outside the crate Dante prefers an old pillow of ours with a flannel pillow case to rest his head on but he didn't graduate to this until 8months old when he was past the risk of soiling it.

Heather

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I too thought that Cinnamon needed a cushion in her crate. I really got tired of coming home to a soiled crate and a load of laundry every evening. I didn't cover it one day and guess what? There was no accidents in it that evening. It was a first time for her. I didn't put another cushion in it since. (I used a folded sheet from a king size bed.) She now doesn't use a crate and we have a big pillow type dog bed for her. One upstairs in the bedroom and one downstairs in the LR. She likes to lay on it with her back side on the pillow and her head on the floor. She hasn't got it figured out yet it's a little backwards!

Just one of her little quirks!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
The doggie pad in Ebbe's crate was considered more of a chew toy then a bed! And as the weather got warmer we frequently found it pushed up against the crate walls, with Ebbe on the plastic! She truly prefers the harder surfaces to the soft and as long as her two wubbies are with her she's a happy girl!

Now as winter approaches and we begin more nights outside the crate things may change ...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts