Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a puppy buyer ask me today, besides coat/colors, etc, what were the major personality differences between a purebred Golden Ret or Lab vs. a doodle. I didn't have too much to offer him but wanted to get other opinions. Anyone notice major differences and, if so, can you please tell me about them? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
My doodle must be all lab personality-wise because he is NOTHING like our past standard poodle! We had quite a shock when we got Charlie and realized what a different dog he is.

We've never owned a lab so I can't compare that way.

Deb

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
We had a standard poodle and she had two litters of puppies which we kept contact with so I've seen quite a few poodles. Ours were all very smart, affectionate but laid back. Even the ones we thought were the wiry/hiper ones having nothing on a labradoodle.

Our doodle has been a very mouthy puppy. We constantly had to battle the play biting. He chews constantly and easily destroys socks, slippers, gloves, flipflops... you name it! Our poodle had two soft fleecy toys from the time we got her until she passed away. She would hold one in her mouth like a pacifier and sleep with it between her paws. She never destroyed her toys and never chewed on anything other than new toys.

My doodle boy is completely devoted to me. He follows me from room to room and will only spend time with other people if I am in the room. Our poodle was everyone's dog. She happily hung out with the kids, let them use her as a pillow, etc.

Our doodle LOVES to fetch. The poodle was not interested.

My doodle puppy NEEDS long walks every day and alot of exercise. Our poodle got a short walk in the morning by one of the kids before school and was content to lounge all day.

Two of our puppies were working dogs. One was trained for a deaf man to let him know when the doorbell or phone rang, etc. The other belonged to a fashion photographer agent. He ended up in a few magazine spreads. He had a full page in Chicago magazine wearing a golf sweater. :D

Wish I could think of more! Maybe later...

Deb

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Deb! Some of your doodle's characteristics are definitely all Lab, but others I think are personality. Any Lab I've ever had was everyones best friend. But I appreciate your time!!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Julie, it's always hard to tell with anecdotal stories if its just one dog's personality. Charlie certainly LOVES anyone who comes in our house BUT he is undoubtedly bonded to me. When our foster labradoodle was here, they both trailed me. If I sat in the living room, one would be on either side of me. Maybe they saw me as the pack leader? I can only guess.

Deb

·
Registered
659 Posts
Having owned 2 Labs and now my first Labradoodle I notice:

When my Labs were very happy, they smiled with their mouth AND eyes (entire face) like a goofy human teenage boy on his first date. Ozzie keeps his mouth tight and smiles through his eyes and body language.

Same thing if I had to verbally correct my Labs. They looked sincerely upset that they did something wrong. Almost made you want to cry! Ozzie gives me a look like "WHAT??!!---- OK I'll stop doing this if you really insist! Stop being so anal, Boss!".

·
Registered
985 Posts
This is a neat topic! I've never had poodles or labs, and different people have attributed various characteristics they've noticed in Chouette to one breed or the other. A friend who has labs commented that Chou's need to carry something in her mouth was a lab trait, but a friend who had a poodle as a child noted that her dog did the same thing.

Chou does fetch better than any other dog I've ever had, though, and when she's happy her whole body shows it. She also follows me all around; in fact she's curled up at my feet under the computer desk right now. She loves DH and runs to greet him, but I'm the one she trails after. I'll have to see whether she sticks with me even when granddaughter and/or son are here, since she loves them, too and they're more of a novelty for her.

Leslie

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Ah, Leslie, I am convinced that Chouette is Charlie's long lost twin. :D The ONLY person that Charlie might stay in a room with is my granddaughter. She sleeps over regularly and he loves to snuggle her in bed. I usually leave him with her for awhile before sending him to his crate.

Deb

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I have friends that have always had labs...Dave has always had Goldens and well I've grown up with std poodle in the past.

Goldens are sweet, LOVE everybody they meet, they wag their whole body along with their tail, GREAT with kids,
and SOFT, gentler training is used as they're a sensitive dog, you cannot raise your voice with them as it crushes them.
They will sometimes weave when they run and appear to be a great barrel racer hahhaaa
When mature content to go plop at your feet with their toy. they say the remember things for life that they've learned.
There usually a great tempermented dog but as puppies can be energetic
and/or mature slower than other breeds. OH they have extremely "soft" mouths and they innately fetch and drop it without really teaching them this. They also have an excellent scent of smell.

peanut is a 50/50 split but leans so much towards the golden retriever personality

The std poodles i know, are extrememly nimble and agile, really smart, a "thinker" as some put it, and friendly.
But they observe alot which some take to indifference or aloofness, but if they want your attention they do the nudging, put their head in your lap, also like to jump. they need good exercise as some are high energy.
and can exceed in training etc

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
I've never had a poodle but my brother does and a few neighbors. I see them as far more laid back then labs.
I've had Lab & lab mixes all my life. They are definitely more sensitive, mouthy (as pups) and yep....that smile and eyes!! Labs seem to get into more trouble then poodles.
As my btother put it and he's owned both lab and poodle...........Labs will go up to people on walks and beg to be petted.......poodles will say, pet me if you must........ :lol:
Bogie definitely is more labby.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts