Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chester was together with my brother in laws 4 year old 125 pound German Shepherd this weekend. These boys could not get along. I have never seen Chester bare his teeth and growl like this before. He had that Shepherd running away from him. For a little bit they were okay if they stayed on their own sides of the yard but if the Shepherd would go toward my kids Chester was back on protection duty. The dogs hadn't seen each other in about a year. At the time Chester was a lot smaller and the Shepherd would nip at his back end. I wonder if Chester remembers that or if it is just a case of boys being boys. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Are both Chester and Leno neutered?

If this was my dog, in either case I think I would have to be calling my favorite trusted trainer for tips. If you go to dogparks you can't have your boy barking or snarling w/teeth at other male dogs! In both cases I would not only want my dog acting appropriately around both sexes, but I wouldn't want the risk of him being labeled by others, leading to liability or accusations.

In Chester's case, he had your kids out there and he perceived a real threat from your BIL's shepherd which might not have been legit, but who knows if he remembers? It sounds like they both wanna be alpha's for sure, so again I would call a trainer for tips so you can know how to address it.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This was the first time he's acted like that. He's been great at dog parks and in the neighborhood---he even gets along with the crabby old sheltie down the street! If he were like that with other dogs I would have a problem but he was fine with the BIL's other dog---a female that hasn't bit at his butt. Although we did mention the big tough German Shepherd now being afraid of a Labradoodle.
I'm going to be keeping a close eye on this AND avoiding the BIL's Shepherd!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.