Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kenai is 11 weeks old now. We were just in Canada for a week of vacation, and during that time she started dribbling pee when getting attention from someone new, or even when we got her up in the morning. This is still happening at home, and is somewhat annoying because we have to mop up as if she had an accident in the house.

Does this stop at some point? I sure hope so! Is there anything we can do to help her stop this?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ruby (14 weeks) is doing the same thing. We are taing her to socialization/obedience classes, exposing her to new sounds with repetition, letting her spend a lot of time around new people, etc. I also take her outside before people come over and let them greet her in the yard. That way, she isn't receiving a ton of corrections while also meeting new people. I would imagine that could get confusing for a puppy. She's still a scaredy cat and folds like a cheap tent every time she hears a bark from a dog bigger than her, but I think classes would help.

We have had morning dribbles a few times, but considering she is holding from 11:00 to almost 6:00 a.m. in her crate, I'll take it.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Cathy, this is a very common thing and, in the canine world it is a very valuable social tool for puppies. Your puppy is telling the person (or dog) that she is not challenging them...she is submitting to their authority over her. It is a technique that will keep her safe in the wild...still, you are right to want to stop the behavior.

Ask everyone who greets her to not speak in a high pitched or happy voice...not a lot of laughter or giggling...and keep her on a leash so that you can watch her. If she begins to piddle, take her right outside...whatever you do, don't get angry at her when she does this! You will only make it worse...so, as hard as it is, simply distract her.

This behavior will stop after a while...some puppies do it longer than others...if it lasts past 4 months of age, ask your vet. Sometimes spayed females have incontinance problems that can be cured with a hormone pill.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My dog does the same thing. My vet said there are two types of peeing, submissive urination and excitable peeing. He believes our dog is excitably peeing because he does not act submissive to the people he greets in any way as far as body language. He said because he loves people so much and is so excited to see them, he truly loses control. He can hold it in his crate for 10 hours, and doesn't do it for us, only outsiders. He is over 7 months now and it hasn't changed. We do take him out before allowing people to greet him at the door (my mom actually has to call from her cell phone in the driveway when she is here because he REALLY loves her!!) and we do ask others to not overly greet him (the high-pitched greetings do it every time) and that helps. We never make a big deal about it, we actually don't say anything to him because it is dribbles, so "outside, outside" would mean nothing, he doesn't even know he is doing it and wouldn't put our verbal cue together with urinating. A trainer in our obedience class said her labrador was over 8 months when he finally stopped. I am crossing my fingers because I know two people with other breeds whose dogs never outgrew it. :(
Good luck! If anyone has any other ideas let me know, I'm open!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts