Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our doodle is 5 1/2 months now and has a pretty good grasp on the potty training; however, she still pees in her crate if she's left for more than an hour or so. How can we break her of this habit?

Also, I'd like to eventually be able to let her roam the house when we're at work, but she freaks when we leaver her alone...any ways to ease her into it?

·
Registered
177 Posts
If she is managing the toilet training quite well, it suggests she is maybe taking protest pee's?

Bella is 8 months now and only messes her crate when ill. She does however have the lab trait of seperation anxiety though and can be very clingy (particuarly as she's had such long illness)

Has she always been crated since you got her?
do you put some toys in with her? some nice big cushions and stuff so it feels fun for her to be in there.
Another good trick is to hide treats and stuff buried in the crate, dogs hate to mess bedding or feeding areas,
We find it also helps to leave a tv on for her when out to help her settle.

You could try rewarding her each time she manages to not soil the crate so again she gets the idea

We can't let Bella have the run of the house either as she chews everything including ripping the floorboards up :roll:

not sure if this helps but maybe someone with more experience has a better hint for you?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I've read a lot about crate and house breaking and have read from several sources that puppies and dogs do not pee or poop out of spite they just aren't capable of knowing to do it, even if we think they can. I would worry she might have a UTI if she is peeing to often does she pee often or just in her crate?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Molly's vet did notice some bacteria in her urine a few weeks ago and put Molly on UTI medication, but it made Molly puke, so that was the end of that.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hi! My Gracie did just what you describe. It turned out to be a UTI. In any case, I'd be looking for a physical cause. If she didn't get a full course of her medication, she might be brewing up a worse infection than she had before. I'd get her back to the vet and let him know she didn't keep the other med down.

On a funny note: I live in a very small town. A few days after George and Gracie had been in for a check up, my husband and I were in the grocery store. Our vet saw us in the aisle. He hollered, "Hey, you guys! How's that peeing and pooping going?" LOL.

Good luck with Molly. I'll bet it'll clear right up.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My puppy has had several accidents in his crate. But, it is because I have not gotton to him quick enough.

I let our last dog roam the house and it was not a good idea. He ate up my carpet, sofa, chairs and before I realized it he had free run of the whole house.

With my new puppy, I am keeping him in his crate when we are not home. I have read that a dog cannot handle that much freedom untill they are 2 years old. Then, they can begin to be out of the crate when you leave the house.

It's nice to think that they will be more comfortable but they can get into lots of unsafe things. A puppy will be a puppy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts