Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sampson was out playing in the snow and when he came in, he was trailing blood all over the place.

We had him lie down (after he stained the brand new comforter in my room) on the floor and took a look. We thought it was his toenail which he cracked a few weeks ago and has taken a while to heal up but nope, a new injury... Poor Sam cut his back foot's paw pad :( You know whn you have a paper cut, you can get a little flap of skin hanging around? Well thats what he's got on his paw poor guy. We washed it w/warm water, bandaged it, and let him go... he kicked off the bandage so right now he has a clean sock and gauze (sock bandage? read how to do it online...) around his foot.

Should I put anything else on it? What do I have to watch for? Is this fairly common? He didn't crack it b/c it's dry, he cut it somehow...

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I'd say you're fine with what bandaging you've done. I can't let Sandy out in the (hardened) snow without booties on, or without fail he will cut himself. I actually think its the ice layer that cuts him! I usually do the same bandage as you did and leave it on 24-48 hours.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Sue sent me this after Denver cut his paw pad...I don't know if he is still bleeding so you may not need to do all of these steps:

1. Rinse the area in clean warm water, cold water will stop the bleeding faster but you want it to bleed a little as the bleeding also cleanses.
I had a pail of warm water and just stuck his foot in. I needed to do this 4 times before the water started to look clear.

2. I poured a cleansing solution(iodine mixed with water) over the area
and packed in some styptic powder to stop anymore bleeding at this time.
This helps prevent infection and should rinse out any glass particles.
If bleeding does not stop then you need emmergency services.
Denver's bleeding had stopped at this point so I knew we were ok
but was not sure about stitches so took him to vet in the morning.

3. Pack with gauze and tape and cover with sock.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Sammy-Doo's Fam said:
Sampson was out playing in the snow and when he came in, he was trailing blood all over the place.

We had him lie down (after he stained the brand new comforter in my room) on the floor and took a look. We thought it was his toenail which he cracked a few weeks ago and has taken a while to heal up but nope, a new injury... Poor Sam cut his back foot's paw pad :( You know whn you have a paper cut, you can get a little flap of skin hanging around? Well thats what he's got on his paw poor guy. We washed it w/warm water, bandaged it, and let him go... he kicked off the bandage so right now he has a clean sock and gauze (sock bandage? read how to do it online...) around his foot.

Should I put anything else on it? What do I have to watch for? Is this fairly common? He didn't crack it b/c it's dry, he cut it somehow...
Basic 1st aid is important to prevent infection so I keep these things around for emergency:
1) 30cc syringe (drug store)
2) Hydrogen Peroxide
3) Steri strips
4)bandages
5)Rubber gloves
6) Bitter apple
7) Triple Anti Bac Cream (neosporin)
Using the syringe get a good stream of HP into the wound blasting out any germs with pressure rinsing. Dry with clean towel. Apply Neo cream under flap into wound then steri strip it closed, bandage. Put rubber glove over bandage and affix with tape. Spray the glove with bitter apple or use collar. Go to Vet for follow up.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Thanks Leslie
These instructions were per my vet, until I could get Denver there in the morning, because my dog only gets in trouble when my vet is closed.
Thank heavens I have her home phone number
bahahahahhha

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
keep us posted

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the tips and concern guys!!!

We took off the sock to look at it and it's not as big as we thought so that's good. Sampson doesn't seem to care that he cut himself, the only sign that he realised something was there was him licking it as we tried to wash it out one more time. He's got a new sock/gauze b/c the old one was a little bloody...

It doesn't look too bad, definitely wont need stitches. Yay! :)

So we're just gonna be careful, watch it and maybe give a call to the vet to be sure.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Took the sock off today and gave it a little time to breathe while he was inside. He pulled away when I tried to get a better look... so it's getting better and he is annoyed by us touching it or it hurts, but he is walking around fine and it doesn't seem to be bothering him...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts