Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else's doodle do this? When I tell Dexter to drop a toy, sometimes he'll drop it and then put his paw on it (so I obviously can't take it)...he then looks up at me w/the goofy look on his face. It cracks me up...

G

·
Bella hasn't done that, BUT during a training session the trainer was running thru her commands. Bella is very independent and stubborn, but she was doing the commands, reluctantly :lol: When she got to the "SIT" command, Bella obediently sat, BUT she also put her paw on the trainers foot. The trainer said it was her way of trying to 'be in charge' while still obeying the command. :lol:

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha...Dexter is certainly somewhat stubborn (very smart, but also stubborn). I bet he's trying to 1) play a game or 2) control the toy even when he drops it. You can never be sure with him. He really got me tonight...i realized how wet our back yard was and asked him while he was running "do you want to go for a walk?" he ran and sat at the gate...and we always go out the gate for our walks. i didn't realize he understood :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Daisy will drop and then immediately pick it up again if she wants it :roll:
Daisy also shocks me sometimes too with words she just seems to pick up. For instance my son's bus stop is down the road. Daisy and I usually walk to pick him up. It was cold so I said, outl loud to my self :oops: "Brrrr I'm taking the car". Do you know... Daisy ran to the car!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Leslie:
Denver does this all the time, it frustrates my daughter when she is playing with him. He will drop it on command and out comes the paw to hold it down and then the look, kinda like I dare you to try and take it.
hahaahahahaahah

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
hhahhaha i was just thinking...Max does that with Peanut sometimes. Puts his paw on her and holds her down for a tiny bit. Otherwise they just paw at the air when i am trying to take sense into them over their listening skills :wink:

·
Registered
980 Posts
Last night after pool league, we took Dexter for a walk. Our town rolls up the sidewalks after 9:00, so there is zero traffic on the streets. Kevin reached down and unclipped the leash, which kinda startled me. He said "we can trust him, just watch". Dexter stayed just within about a 7 foot radius of us, running in circles sniffing every leaf and rock. Then Kevin says "let's try something" and he says "stop" and Dex stops and comes directly to our feet and sits. Now mind you, he's never said that word in that context, and never tried it on a walk. I said "coincidence". So he does it again, and again, he stops dead and comes to our feet. After eight or nine times, and Dex getting frustrated at having to stop every few feet with no treat involved, we let him finish his walk unterrupted. I'm still wondering where he learned that one, or is he a little alien in a doggy suit?

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Cinnamon is quick to pick up on key words, like walk. I spelled it a couple of times and she now knows how to spell "walk." She knows when it's time to "get the mail" and to "go for a ride."

And I swear she knows how to tell time. She'll come to me when it's about time for the mailman to come and let me know it's time to get the mail. She'll wait on me for her morning walk, but she's real insistent about the mail. Maybe she knows the about the "check's in the mail" saying! More money means more food??

The time change really messes with her timing for about a week, then she gets used to it. And speaking of time, don't forget to change your clocks this weekend!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Cinsmom said:
Cinnamon is quick to pick up on key words, like walk. I spelled it a couple of times and she now knows how to spell "walk." She knows when it's time to "get the mail" and to "go for a ride."

And I swear she knows how to tell time. She'll come to me when it's about time for the mailman to come and let me know it's time to get the mail. She'll wait on me for her morning walk, but she's real insistent about the mail. Maybe she knows the about the "check's in the mail" saying! More money means more food??

The time change really messes with her timing for about a week, then she gets used to it. And speaking of time, don't forget to change your clocks this weekend!
OR maybe se knows if the checks in the mail you'll buy her more "TOYS" :?: :wink:

Also YES i believe doodles not only know words...but they remember and know certain sentences, or at least that's how Max is. My father says doodles are one of the smartest dogs he's ever been around and can THINK. I agree with him 100%...probably why they outsmart us at times perhaps :wink: :roll: :D

G

·
Boyd understands walk and he understands breakfast as well! :lol: Each morning as we're finishing our walk I say "let's go get breakfast" and he'll pick up the pace and head for the garage door.

He also understands when I ask him to bring me a toy. My husband was quite impressed with that one. We were sitting on the couch watching TV and Boyd, not one who likes to be ignored, started doing the doodle pout and bark. You know the one, where they start grumbling to themselves and then let out some short barks! :roll: Anyway, I said "Boyd, bring me a toy" and he looked at me, looked in the kitchen, and then ran and brought me a toy.

I LOVE MY DOODLE!

·
Registered
980 Posts
Kevin has this high-pitched hick voice he uses when he's playing with Dex. It's hysterical, especially since his voice is usually a low low boom. Anyway, Dex's toys are named, in high pitch hick. Give me that gosh danged squirrel, give me that gosh danged duck, etc. He knows which one is which and will bring it on demand, if asked for in high pitched hick :shock: :D :D :D

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Cinnamon knows her toys by name. Whatever toy we ask for, she'll look until she finds it and will bring it to us. Kong, ball (tennis ball), rope, bunny and she has 2 hedge hogs - one has the squeaker replaced with a frog noisemaker that I took out of a toy she tore up. That one's "hedge-frog" and she knows the difference! Her fav toy is "blue ball" (any old racketball). She loves the way it bounces all over the room, but we have to put that one up when we're not playing. She will bust those things every time she plays with it and I have to pick it up before she eats the pieces.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
haha...this forum is great. these dogs all have the same traits...it totally cracks me up!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
They really do have the same habits. Tanner gets very excited when we come home with grocery/dog store sacks. Knows there will be a new toy!

:p :p :p

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi All,

Advil doesn't paw things. He does the whole body thing. Especially when I am pay attention to one of the other dogs, he gets very upset. If I am lying on the bed as I do every night asking who looked for jobs that day. Advil will come and jump on top of me and stand over me to show dominance. But when I tell him to get down, he does and than barks and tries to get me to pay attention to him instead of the other dogs. Which I am somewhat confused about him doing dominance gestures to me when I am the only one he listens to in the house. With objects he just picks them up and flaunts them in front of everyone. Including the cats! He sure thinks he is king of the house, but when challenged still tries to run under the coffee table. Which by the way he doesn’t fit. It’s a good thing puppies bounce!
:lol:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
everyseason said:
Hi All,

Advil doesn't paw things. He does the whole body thing. Especially when I am pay attention to one of the other dogs, he gets very upset. If I am lying on the bed as I do every night asking who looked for jobs that day. Advil will come and jump on top of me and stand over me to show dominance. But when I tell him to get down, he does and than barks and tries to get me to pay attention to him instead of the other dogs. Which I am somewhat confused about him doing dominance gestures to me when I am the only one he listens to in the house. With objects he just picks them up and flaunts them in front of everyone. Including the cats! He sure thinks he is king of the house, but when challenged still tries to run under the coffee table. Which by the way he doesn't fit. It's a good thing puppies bounce!
:lol:
peanut doesn't wag her long tail...her whole rear wags hahahhaa!!!
And she does that to Max...runs under all 6 dining room chairs and well let's say my dining room table almost goes airborne with Max trying to fit under the chairs :roll:
I love when I have a TALK with them ...they sometimes run to other room and this is how they act

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Oh Annmarie
What a precious photo!!!!
I can not believe how big Peanut is getting
She is going to be larger than Max, I think :wink: :wink:

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
she really is too cute! I can't wait to see what she looks like when she's older because we've thought about having a goldendoodle as dex's future (fall/winter 07) playmate.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
lmtoth2 said:
she really is too cute! I can't wait to see what she looks like when she's older because we've thought about having a goldendoodle as dex's future (fall/winter 07) playmate.
that pic was almost 2 wks ago :shock: and she's grown since then. I myself am dying to see what she'll look like in a few months as she's getting alot of white around her eyes and chest. Her mom though was smaller than Max's mom and they have the same dad.

OK , i say Peanut will only be 22in high and 60lbs full grown!!! anyone care to wager against me? :wink:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts