Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crap. I am a graduate student that does some testing in rats, and I just was informed our animal care facility has a parvo outbreak. What do you think the chances I bring the virus home and it gets Hershey sick? She is 9 months now, is it still as big a concern as with younger puppies?

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Has she been vaccinated against Parvo? she should be if she's had all her shots. My niece had a dog that died of parvo and the vet told me that as long as my dog had been vaccinated, then we would be ok. He never did get it even though he spent a week there, in the yard and such. (That was my old cocker, years ago!)

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
558 Posts
We have been through parvo, wash yours shes in bleach, th eyounger the pup the more likely it will have a nasty effect on them. The vaccines help but age more then anything allows them to get through it. If you have any questions drop us an email. We also used a herbal med called parvaide. We aren't sure it helped but it didn't hurt. Cleanliness is next to godliness in this case and bleach seems to be the cleaner of choice.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
this is a MAJOR bummer!

Todd, I would follow Martha and Tom's advice carefully, and also add a couple other ideas: call your vet, to be sure you know the symptoms, and then also ask about getting a titer test to see if Hershey's immune or safe? It will confirm whether the vaccines have done their job. I guess I'd also ask what safety can you expect to have if Hershey tests positive in the titer for protection.

Keep us Posted!

·
Registered
558 Posts
We bought online and it was shipped right away. We called and spoke with them. It gives you peace of mind especially when you have a puppy on an IV and another one in the house. But only one came down with it. He survived because of Martha's diligence and hard work. Our prays were answered when he finally came back to full strength.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I talked to my vet and Hershey is vaccinated of course, but I can get a titer test if we want to. We have decided on avoiding the problem. Since this is a one time thing with the outbreak, I negotiated for my supervisor to work with the animals in another room, 9 floors away. He was very understanding, even though he's not really a dog person.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Its very possible

and just so everyone knows
just because a dog has been vaccinated against the disease it does NOT mean they would never get it
dont fall into that false sense of hope
no vaccine is full proof

I would suggest only wearing certain shoes to work, changing them in the car putting them in a plastic bag, as well as clothing, dont know how feasible that is but thats what i would do
clean with clorox 1part to 10parts water

1 - 9 of 9 Posts