Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

After Wesley's harrowing experince, I thought I'd share some of my new knowledge with y'all. Probably a lot of you know this already, but for new doodle moms and dads, it's good to be informed and know what to look for.

First, here's a great web site. It's hands down the best resource I've found. The information matches the info that my vet gave me exactly, and it's very detailed:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_what_is_parvo.html

Things I didn't know about Parvo:

A dog (esp under the age of a year old) is susceptible to Parvo even after multiple vaccinations. (Wes had all 4 when he contracted the virus) Natural antibodies from the mother's milk, a seconary infection, giving the shots too close together or having a bad batch of vaccination can render them ineffective.

The virus exists on every surface not disinfected by bleach. It's everwhere, and you really can't avoid it. You just have to hope your little one has the antibodies to resist it. We asked the vet if we were wrong to have taken Wes out--to friend houses, to the dog park, etc before 6 months of age and they said no. That said, a good animal hospital disinfects thier entire parking lot and yard with a mild bleach solution every night. I would ask about this.

Signs of Parvo are vomiting and thin diarrhea. Parvo kills in two ways--through dehydration, which can happen very quickly in a small puppy, and through secondary bacterial infection. The virus attacks rapidly dividing cells in the esophagus and digestive tract and in the bone marrow where white blood cells are created. If you even think your puppy has thrown up enough to be at all dehydrated, take him to the vet. A hospital stay is best, because they can keep the dog on IV with liquids, vitamins and antibiotics to fight off any infection they might contract from the low white count. For Wes, treatment was about $200 per day.

Survival rate is about 80% if you catch it early and treat it professionally. Of course, any chance you might lose the pup is terrifying, but Wes made it through just fine and after a day back, he's pretty much back to normal. The virus has no lasting effects. We just need to keep him away from other dogs for about a month.

Definitely check out that site for more information if you're curious, or feel free to ask me.

Thanks again everyone for helping me and Wes through a tough time.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I've had no experience with the disease and it wouldn't have been my first thought if my dog had vomiting and diarrhea.

Deb

1 - 4 of 4 Posts