Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really blessed to have my parents living nearby. When I'm at work all day, they come by and let Libby outside, take her to play with their dogs, etc.
Recently, though we seem to be going through a bit of "grandpa knows best". My dad insists Libby doesn't get enough to eat. He says thats why she caught the bird the other day, because she's hungry. I asked my vet the last time she was in and he said she looked great. I feed her a little more than the bag suggests - 3.5 - 4 cups per day.
He also says her cage is too small. My understanding was the cage should be just a little bigger than she is - enough room to stand and turn around but no bigger. I'm pretty sure the dog whisperer says that too.
this is my first dog, though. I don't want to make mistakes! Does anyone have any thoughts on the amount of food or cage size? Do you think this is just an issue of granparents vs. parents?

·
Registered
143 Posts
My vet said she likes to see dogs a little hungry - in other words, err on the side of underfeeding, as your dog will be more healthy than if you overfeed. I've read somewhere that you should be able to feel your dog's ribs, but they shouldn't be sticking out.

For the crate - how old is Libby? We definitely kept Pixie in a small cage when she was younger. We upgraded to a large size when she hit about 20 pounds, because I knew she wouldn't have accidents in it, and I wanted her to have room to stretch out when she was sleeping in there.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I have the xtralarge crates for Max and Peanut

I measure to the top of their HEAD as they should be able to stand inside it and usually once a pup is 6 to 7mos old they don't go inside their crate unless they're sick.

Mine have room but as puppies yes it was a tighter fit.

Beau is 22in at the shoulder and just outgrew his medium sized crate.
He's going into a Xtra Large one like my other two.
they can stand, turn around and have bit of room
Max and peanut are only in their crate when we leave the house
and i use the Airline Kennel type crates.

OVERFEEDING can cause 1 or 2 things :
being overweight putting stress on sketal and muscular system
also feed TOO MUCH protein thus cause too rapid growth which also can aid in future health problems

·
Registered
143 Posts
I just thought of something else. You know how you can blame the pediatrician for doing things differently than your parents think they should be done? Just tell your dad your following the vet's instructions - maybe he'll stop giving you grief about it?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts