Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...
My boyfriend noticed last night that Boone has been panting alot lately. I didn't think anything of it at all...but it got me thinking.
Is it just that he's always on the go and busy? or could this be a sign of something wrong?

·
Registered
118 Posts
When is he panting exactly?

Panting can be two things:
- after exercise, it's heavy breathing and sweating (through the tongue)
- out of excitement (when dogs get excited or anticipate something good is going to happen (getting a treat, go play, go out), they will start panting out of excitement

If it's outside of the above circumstances (like he's resting and panting?), it might be something you'll need to ask your vet about?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Another thing to consider is the temperature of your house. I have been trying to keep my tiny puppies warm so I keep their room at 70 degrees...well every puppy has been panting, so I moved them to another room (larger, more open) turned the heat down, put a heating pad for them to lie on and every one of them moved as far away from the heating pad as possible!
They have stopped panting and seem much more calm and happy.
I have three dogs that LOVE to be in the cold garage or by the doors in the house where cold air comes in.
Lexie always pants when she is hot and she gets hot often. I finally bought her one of those "cool mats" so that if the room is too hot, she can be cooler.

·
Registered
215 Posts
panting

I agree with the other posts, as he might just be the 'non-stop go go go' type. I would try the other suggestions, especially about lowering the temperature in your home, just to see if it works. Plus, dogs love those chilly mats!
I worked as a vet tech for a few years, and every dog I saw that had heartworm disease always panted excessively. Also, Cushing's disease can also cause some dogs to pant. Dogs also pant if they bloat, but that is unlikely if he seems otherwise healthy.
If it keeps up, or if he pants when you wouldn't think he would- like if he is panting but hasn't been running around- it might be something to ask your vet.
Keep us updated!

Bridget Brady

·
Registered
215 Posts
panting

I agree with the other posts, as he might just be the 'non-stop go go go' type. I would try the other suggestions, especially about lowering the temperature in your home, just to see if it works. Plus, dogs love those chilly mats!
I worked as a vet tech for a few years, and every dog I saw that had heartworm disease always panted excessively. Also, Cushing's disease can also cause some dogs to pant. Dogs also pant if they bloat, but that is unlikely if he seems otherwise healthy.
If it keeps up, or if he pants when you wouldn't think he would- like if he is panting but hasn't been running around- it might be something to ask your vet.
Keep us updated!

Bridget Brady

·
Registered
689 Posts
That must be why Chester moves from location to location in our house. One spot warms up and he wants some where cooler---even if its the other side of the couch. I guess that's also why he just goes out in the snow and lays down.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts