Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm VERY groggy this morning because I got VERY little sleep last night. Buffy sleeps in a crate next to our bed. Last night she was panting so loud I couldn't go to sleep. I got her some water, and tried again, but as soon as my head hit the pillow we had the heavy breathing. This went on for about 2 hours before I decided to try to bring her downstairs and maybe she would sleep in her downstairs crate and I would lay on the couch for a while, then go back to bed (it's 1:30 in the morning now). Same action down here - very heavy breathing//panting to where I cannot sleep - both from the noise and my concern that something was wrong. I offered her more water, she wasn't interested. Long story short (too late) I slept on the couch with her on the floor next to me out of her crate. This arrangement worked out until I heard her chewing on a bottle cap. I clocked about 3 hours of uninteruppted sleep - NOT enough for me.
Any ideas as to what that was all about?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh - and I forgot, I'm out of my regular coffee and I'm drinking this garbage that's been in the back of the pantry for longer than I care to remember.
WHAAAAAAA -
Allright - my crying fit is over.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi Betty,
First off, my sympathies for not having your regular coffee!

About the panting, I don't know. Could you call the vet and ask? Other than being thirsty or hot, I don't know what it could be, but I'm a very new dog owner. Please post what happens.

G

·
Hi Betty,
Puppies can be worse than a baby sometimes! :lol:
I don't have any great info to add, except that Bella did this one night when she was a puppy, too. I think the blanket I had put in the crate was just too hot for her. Panting is the dogs way of sweating, it does not necessarily mean they are thirsty. Was she near a heat vent? Was your heat up higher than usual? Was the house warmer than usual? Some dogs prefer to lay on cold, so if there is bedding in the crate, you might try removing it. Bella is always warmer than I am...if she could sit at the slider door with it open in 20 degree weather, she would be thrilled. (My hubby will do this for her, I will not!!!) Some people keep a fan on near the crate to keep the air circulating. Hopefully, she will be better for you tonight.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Linda,
you may be on to something with the temperature. Last night I actually turned the heat off for the first time since she's been with us. It was such a nice day, we didn't need it on. But, at the same time, it did make the room kind of warm and still. Maybe a fan would do the trick. I need to rethink her bedding, too. We have a small floor rug in there with a rubber backing, I'm sure that doesn't breath very well.
Thanks.,

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Ok panting....here it means Potty time. yes i said potty time.

If they've drank water, aren't hot from roughhouse play, then yes Potty time. we go to bed sometimes, max pants and pants, we get up take him out he pees like a racehorse. Go back to bed and he's fine. no more panting and we all get some sleep.

what seems warm to us can be HOT to a dog. So yes panting is a dog's way of ALSO cooling off. here though it always means potty time

Betty...my condolences go out to you Honey. ohhhhhhhh you poor thing, ME? i'd run to the local gas station a mile down the road in my jammies or sweats to get the biggest cup of coffee haahhahahhaha

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
At our house panting is a sign of one of three things, 1) thirst, 2) heat, and 3) labor!
Some of my dogs love to cuddle down onto the bed and stay warm all night...3 of them MUST be cold...they can't stand to be even slightly warm. They start to pant.
They are not crated and we have an outside doggie door and they actually go outside and sleep on the deck when it isn't raining. They also prefer the garage where there is no heat, and they sleep right on the cold cement floor!
You might have a dog that needs a close cut hairdo for the warmer months. You might want to lightly wet Buffy's coat, especially her belly area and feet.
But, I think that the situation is common for these dogs. That being said, don't hesitate to see a vet if it doesn't ease up some with any of these ideas...or if you have any reason to think something else is going on.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
i will say this..Our temps just went into the 50's and 60's by day and now our two doodles are panting. it was just in 20's less than week ago. For us, i would say they are trying to adjust to rapid temp changes is all. but i still keep walking them and making sure they have water.i also noticed increased water intake which again seems normal if temp goes up. :D

·
Registered
126 Posts
Charlie may end up being the same way - he has always been exceptionally warm to be near and his ears and paws are always very warm - it never bothered him though but he does breath heavy sometimes - I will have to watch him closer this summer - Good information here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts