Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and should I be worried? I have noticed that Maya has been panting a lot more lately. Last weekend I almost took her to the emergency vet as she was panting for over two hours. I called the vet and they said they would probably just watch her (she got into a plate of brownies earlier and the chocolate might be causing the panting...however 5+ hours (vet said 5 hours and chocolate should be out of her system) had past since the incident and she only got crumbs before I caught her).

Then yesterday I took her on a 30-45 minute walk (it was about 75 degrees out)and when we came home she was panting a lot again and laying on her side.

Then last night at bedtime (no exercise or anything before bed) she was panting for about another hour. She was laying on the bed and it wasn't that hot in the room maybe 68-70 and the fan was on.

I did look for articles and most say that excessive panting could be an indication of bloat but she has no other symptoms other than this panting thing. I was hoping that someone might have some insight.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I wish I could help you but I don't know. DH took Sadie for a very long walk yesterday and her panting was scaring me so I looked up some info.

I doubt it's bloat as that comes on suddenly and you only have a few hours (from what I've read about it).

Sadie panting harder than any dog I've ever seen before for about an hour. I did wipe her paws with cool water to help in the cooling down process.

If she were panting like that without exerting herself...I'd be worried. At least call the vet and describe the symptoms. Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Heather i wish i could be of help.

BUT has the weather warmed up a bit lately? and did you call the vet back?

Peanut pants alot ....sometimes it means potty time othertimes it's how she cools off and at night on our bed? i have not a clue, unless with the weather going quite warmer suddenly has something to do with it

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Kirby was panting like crazy yesterday and it was only 50 degrees out. I think they are really effected by even a small increase in temp.

Of course if you think there is reason to be concerned I would call the vet.

·
Registered
247 Posts
this is interesting, as i have noticed the same thing w shaia. along with the need to drink water much more than "normal" during play. i assumed it was b/c she was black and the heat got to her - but it's never *that* hot in san francisco! when she's at the park, she has to take frequent breaks to get water during play, esp if it's sunny.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Annabelle pants like that if she has run hard playing - I have noticed that she pants Much more than any of my labs ever did. She is also "hotter" than any of my labs - her body always feels warmer, maybe it's a poodle thing?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Lucas seems to have a hard time cooling down too... but I agree if it seems excessive... have the heart looked at...

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Rumor pants alot! During play, after play....even at night in bed. Miko pants after rough play.....Jonah hardly ever, unless he's really working it! :lol:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
While panting is a natural sign of overheating, it can also mean something is going on...here is a small article discussing if you need to see a vet and when, notice at the bottom of the article it discusses panting: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Conten ... C=0&A=1989
And this one explains the connection between dogs and heat tolerance, it is very informative. We usually wet our dogs when they are panting, and this article explains that helps to cool a dog down...it also explains that springtime is a hard time for dogs to adjust to heat changes...
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Conten ... C=0&A=2314

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the info. I feel better that other dogs pant alot too. I will shorten her walks for a while until she gets adjusted to the heat.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Jac said:
While panting is a natural sign of overheating, it can also mean something is going on...here is a small article discussing if you need to see a vet and when, notice at the bottom of the article it discusses panting: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Conten ... C=0&A=1989
And this one explains the connection between dogs and heat tolerance, it is very informative. We usually wet our dogs when they are panting, and this article explains that helps to cool a dog down...it also explains that springtime is a hard time for dogs to adjust to heat changes...
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Conten ... C=0&A=2314
WOW, that water article was great! Thanks for sharing, good stuff to know!

·
Registered
143 Posts
We were at obedience class yesterday, and i noticed all 4 dogs were panting. It can be a sign of nervousness, but in this case I think it was because the weather was very humid. It was noticeable even inside were we were training. Maybe that is a factor for Maya?

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Cacao has been panting more but i think it is all due to weather. She is outside more and it is getting warmer. She hasn't gotten her hair cut yet. But will soon. So i think it sounds normal to me. I just make sure i keep water out for her. Inside and Outside.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts