Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am curious to hear thoughts about dogs and panting. All of a sudden Dunkin has been panting for about 2 days straight. He has to be hydrated because we keep water out and he helps himself to it.I even gave him a little gatorade mixed in earlier today, in case. It was a warm day (about 75*) today but he wasn't outdoors running around. Any thoughts about this? What could it be? How do we know if it's something more serious?

Thanks,

Cassie

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Cassie, our 15 week old chocolate LD, Lani, has also been panting for the last couple of days. Panting is how they sweat. With the sudden change in weather (at least in the Chicago area) I think this is normal. Panting can also be a sign that a dog is in pain. We tend to err on the side of caution and will call the vet if we are concerned. Peace of mind goes a long way!!

·
Registered
215 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much... it is probably the weather. It has gotten warmer, and they are not used to the heat! As long as everything else is totally normal, I wouldn't worry. I can't imagine what 75 degrees feels like wearing a fur coat! My dogs have been panting a lot too in the past few days- I keep telling them that its only going to get hotter!

Bridget, Summer, and Duke

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I agree that panting is a very normal reaction when a dog is hot, it will pant. My puppies even panted when I had the room too warm.
You might want to see if you can find a cool spot for Cassie to rest, keep water handy and maybe even consider a summer cut...or a kiddie pool!
I also agree that if you have any concern at all about the cause, you should ask your vet. Although panting is very normal, it can be a sign of pain, as Bridget said.
When my females are in heat, that is the sign for me that it is hard labor...they pant terribly!
If Cassie is prone to be too warm, you can find the cooling mats for her to sleep on. They don't cost a lot yet they work well.
Our dogs like to lie by the front door, getting cool air from underneath. They also like to lie in the garage and the bathtub! (And on tile floors.)
Another thing...ice cubes make great toys and helps to cool them down. (Not huge ice cubes, but the smaller ones that won't get stuck in her throat.)

·
Registered
45 Posts
panting puppy

Hi
My Doodle[Reagan] pants alot also. At first it really concerned me, but
after reading previous posts on the subject - I felt reassured that it was
normal. Now when Reagan is panting hard and fast due to the weather,
I give her a frozen doggy ice cream treat. It redirects her attention, plus
cools and hydrates her. Works like a charm!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I knew I could count on all of you guys! Thanks. Dunkin is still panting away today. He is acting totally normal, so if its pain it's got to be teething pain. As I type he is enjoying a nice cold ice cube. I never thought of how much warmer it would actually feel for Dunkin behind all his fur. If he is feeling hot now he has no idea whats in store for him this summer! I have to get creative and keep him cool.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Chester's been panting too. In fact we cut our walk short yesterday since it was hot and he (and I) haven't adjusted to the heat yet.
He LOVED the kiddie pool last summer. We'll have to get a new one this year because he's grown and only 1/2 of him at a time would fit in the old one.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Speaking of heat! How do you condition the pads of their feet to tolerate the hot pavement? I would like to be able to take Gunner with us to the pool and park, but I am worried he may burn the pads on his feet. Do they toughen up?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Amanda,
I don't know that you can toughen them up...you might want to ask your vet...but I have always heard that we should keep in mind that they are not wearing shoes!
My dogs ran away once (little stinkers!) and were gone quite a while, running on roads, then trails and when they came home, they could not walk even to their water dish for 3 days!
I suppose that the pads do eventually toughen, but yowie...!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.