Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have been reading and enjoying this forum in anticipation of adopting a Goldendoodle pup into our family. I'm a big information hound so I've been reading as much as I can find about the Doodle breeds and puppies/dogs in general.

I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the food, treat, and toy options out there and wondered if list members might share their favorites? I'm looking for something as "natural" as possible without fillers but probably not interested in a strickly raw diet. For food I've looked at Wellness for Puppies and Canidae Life Stages seriously. What worked best for your doodle pup/dog?

What about treats - which are your dogs favorites? Are they okay for pups too?

Supplements? Do you provide your doggie with any nutritional supplements? (I've seen mention of people liking Nu-Vet?)

Toys - What toys do you and your doggie love and which ones could you pass on? If you do Kongs any favorite fillings?

I've got a big crate coming (4 ft double door one from Midwest) but otherwise I feel clueless and quite unprepared.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hi,

Welcome!! I'll let you know what worked for us when we brought Dante home as a puppy.

I also bought the Midwest double door crate and used the divider to make it smaller at the beginning. I purchased two fleece mats with rubber non-slip backs so I could always have one in the crate and one in the wash. I also purchased food and water dishes that fit in a holder that attaches to the crate so they can't be spilled. (coop cups?) I did not buy these big enough and had to go with a larger size as Dante grew.

He came home on Canidae and I've left him on it as it is a good quality food. I used Zukes mini naturals and baked chicken as treats for him in the beginning. (I bake several breasts at once, cut them up and then freeze them in snack size ziplock bags so they are easy to grab and go when heading to puppy class or out for a training session). As his system has matured I've also added bits of cheese as training treats. Dante will do just about anything for a Canidae snap biscuit or an ice cube.

I trust my vet and she is not big on using supplements until you need them or they may not be as effective - so we do not do any glucosamine, etc at this point. Not sure if this is the right decision or not but it's the way we are currently going.

Nature's Miracle is a must for potty accidents. I bought a set of 10-12 cheap white washclothes at Walmart and used them instead of papertowels. It allows me to scrub the carpet without papertowels falling apart and I wash them and reuse them.

Best toys - Nylabone Puppy Keys, Nylabone Dental Dinosaur. To this day he still has both and chews on them daily. A clutch ball or holee roller type of ball - easy to grasp. Dante also has a couple of blankets that are his that he drags around. He loved a ball I got him that had bright colored tabs all over it but as he got older started to detroy it so it had to be taken away - same for most of his stuffed animals. Toys from fatcatinc have lasted well. Not matter what I stuffed them with he is not much into his kongs.

For grooming I purchased shampoo, a comb, toenail trimmers, and a smaller inexpensive pair of battery operated clippers for doing sanitation clips. The sooner you introduce these items the easier it will be to do it yourself on a routine basis. My breeder made sure I was comfortable trimming toenails before we took him home.

To get him established in a potty spot I bought a retractable leash - one that is leash all the way - not the cord that can hurt your hand if you need to grab it. I also bought a car harness to buckle him in the car. I use a normal 6 foot leash and a gentle leader harness for walks.

I made all of my purchases at dog.com, petedge.com or carealotpets.com depending on who had what I wanted at the better price.

Good luck!!!

Heather

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Excellent response, lots of great info!!! We fill Kongs with some dry liver treats and plug the end with peanut butter. Hershey loves it. We also have a ball that is made out of notted rubber, kinda looks like a ball of yard, and we put liver treats inside and it takes hours to get them out. Great for when we crate her, we know she is occupied for the first little while.

Before Hershey earned to come on command, we had a little toy football that sqeaks. Not really very exciting except she only gets to play fetch with it in the house now and then, this makes it a very special toy. We use it to get her attention when we needed it immediately, if she is into something she shouldnt be or is running somewhere bad, we squeak the ball and she stops in her tracks and comes running to play. This works well if she gets out the door while we are bringing in groceries. She listens to commands now so we dont use it too much, but a friend of ours uses a similar thing at the dog park and it is the only way their doodle will come back if other dogs are around to wrestle.

For house trainig, we used a little bell. We attached it to the door and made her sit, and hit it with her paw before going out to potty. It only took a few days and she was hittingng the bell and sitting when she needed to go. Its a nice way to make their signal to go out noticable to you so you dont miss it, and to have her do it in a consistent spot.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
HI and Welcome !

We feed Annabelle Iams healthy natural - we've used Iams for our dogs for 25 years and they've all done well

I had never heard of Kongs until I came here and still have not tried one for Annabelle - just dont think about it when I'm at pet store, she usually grabs a squeaky toy off one of the lower shelves for her new toy

we also use Iams treats and she gets a breath bisquit twice a day, has mint, parsley and some other breath helpers in them

After we our done with our dinner, Annabelle is allowed to come in the DR and she gets 3 chicken nibbles (1 from daddy, 2 from mommy, she's mama's girl) they are little round balls, crunch - chicken and rice dehydrated made by petprofessionals choice - she loves them

She eats carrots sometimes - depends on her mood, she never ate them until Emma and Macy spent 2 weeks with us and those are their mainstay treats - after watching them eat them for a few days, AB decided maybe they werent bad for you :wink: All our dogs have always eaten carrots so it was wierd having one who just wanted to play hockey with them

Good luck with your new pup

AB does love her food

·
Registered
728 Posts
You've gotten some great advice so far! We feed Stihl & Echo Canidae (Life Stages). They love it and it keeps their poop firm (very important)! For treats/toys I partially fill their kongs with vanilla yogurt and freeze it overnight. Their absolute favorite toy is the Chuckit. They love to play fetch. Unfortunately their other favorite toys are my crocs and slippers. :roll:

Good luck and let us know when you pick out your puppy/dog!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Congrats!!!! i too have a goldendoodle Peanut and a labradoodle Max

1. Toys, the kong teether is good, kong ball ...many of the squeaker stuffed animals are good but watch your puppy if he/she rips it open

2. I feed Canidae all life stages food as it's both puppy and adult along with not having certain ingredients like eggs etc and has supplements in it already

3 make sure you buy Nature's Miracles for those little accidents hahhahaa

4. a doggy bed is also nice for training them to settle

5. i used a retractable leash when my two doodles were little puppies and then a regular leash as they got older.
NOTE : taking a regular leash and attaching it to your belt loop or even slipping it around your shoe can help with potty training

5. Other treats i give is a teaspoon of yougurt inside a kong. Or sometimes cottage cheese....i didnt' give many treats as it would upset the tummy for mine

G

·
Hi:

I did the same thing you did when I got my puppy. I read these boards for advise on food toys etc. So this is what Maya who is 5 mos likes:

1. Food: Blue Buffalo chicken and rice puppy food. I tried Canidae first with Maya as that is what a lot of people on this forum feed their dogs. However, with Maya this food gave her soft stools and frequent stools. After the switch and pumpkin added to her food for a week she is doing great on this so I am gonna stick with it.

2. Toys: She loves her stuffed toys. Her absolute favorite toys have come from the local grocery store. One is a bacon flavored teething ring and the other is a tiger that growls and has a rope she can chew on. She only gets tiger under supervision cause of the rope part. For outside she loves her air kongs.....the jack an the ring are her favorites. You can get those on dog.com

3. Treats: Her favorite is Ziggie's made by Kong. You can put them in a kong to have them last a little longer (she always gets the end stuck in the kong so I take a screwdriver and push the last little bit of the ziggie out so she can get it).

I hope that helps. www.dog.com is where I get most of her supplies. So far as I have found they have the best prices on things.

Good luck on the new pup. Can't wait for pics!!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Denver gets Canidae wet and dry
He loves kongs and cannot destroy them.
He has yogurt for breakfast every day now
Dried chicken for treats and milkbone & Costco brand dog buscuits
Ziggy's for teeth, and oh yeah turkey bacon for training.

G

·
Mary---

I just looked at that the other day. Maya loves them so much I thought I would have to stop giving to her soon but the website that Sue left said that adult dogs can eat them too. I would get the large size for an adult though!!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Denver still gets them at 16 months so I am not sure
when we will stop....................
As long as there are no weight issues I will continue to give him this
puppy treat.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
blueteal said:
Denver still gets them at 16 months so I am not sure
when we will stop....................
As long as there are no weight issues I will continue to give him this
puppy treat.
Because he was, is, and always will be.....a great big adorable puppy!! :wink:

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
It looks like you textured the background. That looks cool. Oops! Sorry to go off topic. I'm going to look for those Ziggies at the store.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Calimom said:
It looks like you textured the background. That looks cool. Oops! Sorry to go off topic. I'm going to look for those Ziggies at the store.
Never be sorry for going off topic...............
I am telling you around here it is a must
:wink: :wink: :wink: Bahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
annabelles mom said:
Thanks
at what age do you stop feeding them the ziggies?
According to the Kong website, they are fine for adult dogs. This was in their FAQ about ziggies.

Can I give Puppy ZIGGIES to an adult dog?
Yes. Puppy ZIGGIES are perfectly fine for adult dogs. Follow the same Puppy ZIGGIES treat size recommendations and feeding instructions for your adult dog.

We just got Bailey a Large Kong and it came with a sample Ziggy. She loved it. We pushed most of it into the Kong so she had to work at it. We had to push more up for her after she had it chewed down.

We tried to put some treats in it but so far she hasn't gotten them out yet.

We're new at the KONG thing. We haven't tried the peanut butter yet. People say they're great, but I don't see how they'd get the peanut butter out of there (the hole is smaller than her tongue). Seems like it'd get nasty in there???

But we did like the Ziggy and plan to get more of them.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
ZMAN i thought the same thing and you'd be amazed at how well a doodle not only can get all the peanutbutter but also clean the kong too hahhahaa

1 - 20 of 31 Posts