Labradoodle Forums banner

Overprotective Doodle

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Digbydoodle 
#1 ·
We got our doodle at 9 months, we were his 3rd home in a year. In the past month he has become very protective when someone comes into the house that is a "stranger" to him. We barks at everything he see's when in the house, an airplane flew over yesterday and he went nuts like it was a car in the driveway. We had a friend over and he barked like crazy and I had a hold of him but he lunged at the girl and "nipped" at her leg, my mom and sister came to visit and he did the same thing to my sister. In the morning, she got up and went out to the kitchen (mind you he met her the night before and was fine with her after about an hour) he barked and nipped at her foot. He also nipped at my mom when he went to hug my son, he is very protective and we can't really let anyone in without putting him in his crate. We also had a neighbor come over and he wouldn't let the guy off the steps and just kept barking. He is great with us (mom, dad, kid) but anyone else he just goes nuts.

I can't take him to Petsmart anymore because I am afraid he will bite someone who just wants to see the doodle! It is very frustrating, he has had obedience and has been around other dogs, kids, strangers etc. something has just flipped in his brain. I am really confused at to what triggered this behavior.

Any suggestions or advice, Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi, and thanks for posting about this; I hope others learn from your Digby too.

First, why are you the third home for this boy? That's important to know.

Something might have "snapped" or maybe your Doodle has more freedom than he can really steward, ya know? It sounds like he's seeing himself as the Protector of your house, from your post, and I am left wondering if he has too much freedom? Or if he's not curbed in other areas, and thus has too much leeway in your life?

In my experience PetsMart is NOT NOT the best place for obedience training. I have seen far more sucess where the trainer is in their own private business, where the results TRULY affect who and how many clients they have. I refer people to obedience trainers with EVERY puppy I sell, locally and at least discuss it with long-distance placements. I've been told that the "Trainers" at PetsMart have a 5-wk program to learn how to be a trainer? I haven't verified it, but I signed up for a class and was left very unimpressed by the trainer and the results I saw in the entire class, not just my puppy. If you used a private trainer, then I would call on them to help you further, in the name of protecting their reputation!

I hope this helps and I wish you the best with your DigbyDoodle.

#3 ·
Thanks for the advice Maureen! we got him from a friend at my husband's work and seems the previous owner adopted him from a local shelter. He had some obedience, but the family had two other dogs and three kids, seems he was "too rambunious" (sp), he chases everything, he can't be off lead because for runs away. We have had him since Labor Day of 2005.

I was wondering about the "snapped" thing myself. I had a dalmation that I showed breed and we spent over a year with a private handler in training, I have had other dogs since Digby and the others were all well behaved in obedience and with children, strangers etc. As for the Petsmart thing, we would just take him for a "ride" to go shopping, but I agree with the training there (that is all I will say) :p

I am going to call the vet tomorrow to have him checked out, he has been scratching alot on his ears, maybe he has vertigo :wink:

I have never had a "rescue" before and wondering about the "before" with this guy. Thanks again!! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.