Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is our first summer in our new house - and it gets pretty hot out here once summertime comes. We're about to have our backyard finished so we can leave Shadow (and soon to be Sandy) outside if needed when we leave. This isn't often, so I'm worried that the dogs may not be used to the outside heat since they are mainly inside dogs. (we cannot leave them inside unless they are crated...)

I do have a dog house (probably need to get a second), the dog run is on the cool side of our house so will get the least amount of direct sun, but want to make sure the dogs are comfortable when we are gone.

I keep hearing about a pool left for them. Is this something that can be left filled - when we are not supervising? Also, what type of pool is used? Shadow destroys everything except black/red kongs... Are there any other tricks to use when they are outside? Do you have to be careful how much water is left in case they overdrink???

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Definitely making sure they have enough shade is very important. They may not want to go in the dog house as it will prob be hot

You can purchase mesh sunscreen to put ontop of the kennel and along sides that get south and west sunshine so they always have shade
http://www.creativeshelters.com/Tarps/C ... ScreenMesh

I would get one of the large metal buckets that you can attach to the inside of kennel so they can't tip their water over - you can get them at feed stores

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I'm not much help as we don't leave out doodles outside

the only place is on on our pool deck with us and i have a big umbrella for shade for them along with hosing them and the deck down

and they do get a dip in the pool too

·
Registered
576 Posts
I just ordered a Coolaroo canopy from walmart.com

It blocks the sun's rays but allows the breeze in. That's going to be Sadie's shady spot for the summer. I also got her a BIG bowl for fresh water regularly and I'll probably get her a plastic kiddie pool.

She'll just need a lounge chair and a cabana boy and she'll be all set! :roll: :lol:

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
hmmm...I would definitely avoid leaving them out in the hottest parts of the day. Our doodles overheat so quickly! Today was only in the low 60s and the were panting like crazy. We have a plastic kiddie pool, but I would be leary if your doodle is a chewer. Definitely leave lots of water.

Just my 2 cents...I would do a trial run when leaving them outside (maybe stay out of sight outside and listen). Our doodles will have fun outside themselves for a bit (15-20 minutes), but then want to be back with us. I would make sure your dogs won't be too stressed outside by themselves - if they are it may be better for them to be crated inside :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SadieFern said:
I just ordered a Coolaroo canopy from walmart.com

It blocks the sun's rays but allows the breeze in. That's going to be Sadie's shady spot for the summer. I also got her a BIG bowl for fresh water regularly and I'll probably get her a plastic kiddie pool.

She'll just need a lounge chair and a cabana boy and she'll be all set! :roll: :lol:
Huh...I may need to look for something like that, but a bit smaller in width. Our dog run is approx 8 ft by 40 ft...and isn't a kennel as much as an area on the side of the house that is fenced off from the rest of our yard....so I can't attach a "kennel cover"...

I do have a "Dora" kids size eazy up that isn't that tall for an adult, but is tall enough for the dogs - I wonder if that would work or if they'd chew it???

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lmtoth2 said:
hmmm...I would definitely avoid leaving them out in the hottest parts of the day. Our doodles overheat so quickly! Today was only in the low 60s and the were panting like crazy. We have a plastic kiddie pool, but I would be leary if your doodle is a chewer. Definitely leave lots of water.

Just my 2 cents...I would do a trial run when leaving them outside (maybe stay out of sight outside and listen). Our doodles will have fun outside themselves for a bit (15-20 minutes), but then want to be back with us. I would make sure your dogs won't be too stressed outside by themselves - if they are it may be better for them to be crated inside :)
I will definitely do some "fake" trials...and we will be outside a lot because of the kids play area - so I think we'll have a clue about how they'll do outside. We may be fine if they don't eat the rubber chips on the playground - since they could stay in the main backyard that has a large covered patio...but I'm not sure I can trust them with the rubber chips...

I dont know. I don't think I'd leave them outside in the worst of the summer ever - just because of how hot it gets. But I was hoping they could be left in relatively nice weather...However I consider 60 degrees kind of cold...as I live in Southern California 8)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts