Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read an article in a forum...and as I read it, I sobbed...really sobbed. The reason it hit so hard is that I have experienced this.
I believe, no, I KNOW that products made for our beloved pets are killing them. Products made in China...specifically, foods, chicken treats, but also toys, blankets, clothing, bedding...
Here is the story, I am leaving off the author's name because I don't have permission (yet) to print it...the same with the person who posted it, but the information is from a public web post.

Chicken Jerky treats
Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:19

I just wanted to share an email I received from a dear friend and dog trainer in Florida. She teaches training classes and shows dogs so is very intouch with the dog world.

I have not used this product but do know friends that do and thought you might want to pass this on to your new owners.

See below and check out http://www.fda.gov/cvm/CVM_Updates/Chknjerky.htm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You might have gotten my email below already. I am just trying to tell our story to as many small breeders as possible, so that no other small dogs suffer from these poisonous treats.

Please be aware that many Chicken Jerky treat brands that are manufactured in China have been making small dogs very ill along with killing them. Symptoms are: lethargy, vomiting, diareha, and anorexia (total lack of appetite except for the treats). To see this alert from the American Veterinarian Medical Association go to www.avma.org/ click on Pet Food Alert line and then click on Chicken Jerky Treat alert.)

Our two adorable Cavalier King Charles puppies, Lacie, 11 months, and Misty 7 months old, had been eating Smoke House Chicken Jerky treats from Petsmart on a daily basis (not as a supplement for their food, but as a treat after their evening meal). They both became very ill in July with the same symptoms, such as; lethargy, vomiting, diarrea, and anorexia (total lack of appetite except for the treats, which they loved and looked forward to). The test started showing signs of kidney failure which made no sense to the vets because Misty and Lacie are not related, and Kidney failure is rare with puppies. Both puppies received extensive care in the hospital along with test after test trying to figure out what was wrong with them. Vet bills started mounting up to over $9,000. Every meal had to be force fed except their nightly jerky treat which they got very excited about.

Mid September we found out about the AVMA warning, and immediatelty stopped giving them these treats, Our little seven month old Misty rallied and got better, but our sweet little Lacie never got better and this weekend our precious little 11 month old Lacie got much worse, and had to be put down at 5:30 last night. We were able to pray with her and love on her as she peacefully went to be with the Lord. She surely took a piece of my heart with her. I have been through a lot in my life, but I have never been through the extreme roller coaster pain that we have been going through in the last four months.

I wish someone had warned us about this product. I thought this product was American made. Only after I saw the warning, did I see in small print on the bottom of the package, made in China. I didn't know it, but this jerky treat has been making dogs sick well before April 2007. If someone had warned us, Lacie could have been spared this past painful four months of treatment, let alone having her princess life robbed from her at such a young age. Lacie was the most adorable sweet little feminine angel. She loved people so much that I was planning on having her be a therapy dog so that her and I could help people that are ill.

Please spread the word. After I send this to all the Cavalier breeders. I am going to send this warning to the other small breeds. It is so sad that I have to do this, but as long as Pets Mart and Costco and other stores only care about their profit margin we will have to protect our sweet little puppies on our own.

I know Lacie would never have wanted any other dog and owner to go through the pain and agony that she and her mommy and daddy have gone through. Lacie was our little angel and I don't want her to have died in vain, So I will not give up on spreading the word about these poisonous treats.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I saw those stories when they first broke. The treats I use come from www.dogwell.com thru Whole Foods Stores. These treats have not been recalled. Please check the that the brand you are using has been cleared. BTW I'm looking for a dehydrator to start making my own. This is getting ridiculous! It seems we have to get back to basics with our pets diets as well as our own. :x

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Oh Jac:
Thank you and I am so scared for Denver............

Denver has been given these all his life so far and we have never had
a problem, but I just came across this article on the weekend and I did
post to ask what others knew. I will never buy them again and just hope and pray that I have not done any damage to my boy............
I am just sick right now thinking about this. Denver was at the vet,
just a while ago and checked out in tip top health. I have talked to my vet and she is not worried about him because of his recent check-up, but
I am scared................about his future...........

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I just posted the below site somewhere on another thread the other day. My big dog got violently ill last year, bacterial count was "off the charts" the vet said. For some reason Walmart quietly pulled the products off the shelf, no recall was involved. I bought my chicken Jerky from Costco....also involved but not pulled. I was so angry when I found out that there was a problem and people were not told. Since them I am very selective in picking out treats and also bake doggie treats for them. It really scared me.
http://petfoodtracker.blogspot.com/2007 ... d-dog.html
Scroll down...costco was involved also.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Thanks for posting this Jac! These stories seem to be one after another. We don't feed our doodles any real dog treats because of allergies and after reading all of this I am more convinced it's for the best.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
The brand i have been using was Waggintrail and it is sold
here in Canada at Costco. The company swears by then but
I only noticed for the first time that they are made in China
so that has me worried. We broke them into smaller pieces and
used them for training treats, never again.
ahgggggggggggggggggg this angers me so much.............

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I am very appreciative to all of you for posting news articles warning us of potentially damaging dog treats/foods

·
Registered
398 Posts
When you try to do the right thing,it seems that your always pointed back to the basics. I have to say that the Raw meat diet is looking more appealing. I couldn't believe that the list was 28 pages long! :shock:

Thanks for the links.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
there's a vendor on ebay who sells dog treats from US and South America....the beef in Brazil is supposed to be good. Email me if you want more info.

I have given those chicken jerky treats to my dogs ONCE. Thank God it was never again!

I wonder if China is invading us one product at a time....... sigh.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Maureen said:

I wonder if China is invading us one product at a time....... sigh.
So true, and we are soon to owe more to them since they are the ones we've been borrowing money from.....can you say Bush's "Chinese" refund coming to us? I don't even want it!! Don't get me started...... :evil:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm with you, Gene...Believe me, I could go on and on about this too...but I won't muddy the waters just yet. :wink:

All I can say to you, my friends, is read the labels very closely...the print is soooooooo tiny you can miss it if you aren't searching. NO product made in China right now is safe. And there are NO US poultry companies producing chicken treats for our pets.

I don't care that they are marketed as being holistic or "only chicken" or whatever...I have not seen one chicken treat product that has not been manufactured in China...and, if we stop the Chinese imports, they will just manufacture in another country. The important thing, as consumers, is to start being vocal and telling our local stores and our senators that this needs to stop!

I plan to write to my senators, when I do, I'll pass it along to you in case you want to use part or all of it to write to yours.

Sue, don't blame yourself...it is a national crisis...we trust the suppliers to actually care about their products and their customers...but they only care about the money!

Now, to lessen the fear a bit...I believe that the bigest danger is to small breed dogs, cats and small puppies. They are the ones dying...although, it is not uncommon for bigger animals to get very sick. It is also not uncommon for vets to tell us not to worry...heck, most of them are selling chicken tenders...from China!

Buyer beware...and, yes, raw feeding and cooking our own dog foods just might be the only rational way to fight this. Maybe you can get together with pet owners in your area to form a co-op to buy pet food and toys that meet your standards...and to serve as an educational resource to your neighbors.

We really need to tell our government that we are sick of imports killing and making our children and pets ill. This has to stop.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
One more thing...I was notified by PetEdge that the dog toothpaste that I had purchased (and given to my puppy families) was recalled due to toxins...when I said that it concerned me because I gave it to my puppies, I was told by PetEdge that I should not tell my puppy familes, because the amount is not enough to cause alarm...so, then, why were they recalling it and why did they notify me twice???
Since then, I have noticed that almost all of Pet Edge's toys and treats and beds and clothing are made in China...I guess any time you get a good price, you should be looking at labels. :roll:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Me again...sorry...just wanted to thank all of you who have posted and who are concerned...you give me hope!
I checked some of the links...thanks...the recall links are pretty extensive, aren't they? And those are the ones recalled!
The unrecalled foods linked to illness/death is very sad...
Please, let's all stay on top of this and keep the topic alive...for our pets!

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
How frightening! We have to be so careful....I can't even imagine the pain of these poor people!
Made in USA..........good motto :wink: !!

·
Registered
148 Posts
As a parent of a small child, I have been leary of things "made in China" because of all the toy recalls. If these companies have no regard for human life/health why would they have regard for our pets?

We use Zuke's brand treats for Rosie. They are made in the USA and have a convenient mini size perfect for training. http://www.zukes.com/scoop/difference.html

1 - 20 of 31 Posts