Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watering plants on the patio when Tim called for me to come in the house. He showed me that a baby owl was clinging to our patio umbrella. I hadn't noticed it.

We discovered it's mom and dad were in the tree above him.

He stayed for several hours flapping his wings. Finally they coaxed him up on a branch and when we went to bed the three of them were still in the tree. This morning they were gone...guess he earned his wings.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
He is so cute!!! Lucky you to be able to experience that!
I fed a nest of 4 Barn owls before....they required baby mice & that was when the spotted owl thing started, which made them difficult to get. We ended up having to get mass quantities out of town to feed them.
When about 2 months old, they went to a couple that lived in the heavy woods and did wild life rehibiliation. The last one was used a nature camp for 6th graders, so they could experience nature up close. Then eventually he decided it was time to join the other wild owls, and off he went. :D
Crazy time with sweet memories....like a litter of puppies!

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Wow. I love how soft he looks. How cute. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Awesome pictures!

We had a baby owl fly into our garage one time. It was an Eastern screech owl. Such a thrill to see them up close.

·
Registered
53 Posts
What great pictures!

This is my favorite time of year. We are big campers and have a seasonal site along the NH shore. This past weekend was our first weekend for the season. A couple of campsites down from ours is an owl box. Every year at this time a baby owl emerges from the box. We could hear the baby this past weekend but he/she has yet to pop its head out to say hello. Daddy owl was making some racket at the kids playing in the field across the street. I can't wait until next weekend to get a peek at the baby. They look to be the same kind of owl as yours. What a treat to see such a sight.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was a big bird watcher/feeder until we discovered that there were a colony of rats in our neighborhood that I was raising with my bird seed :cry: I have been watching the parents feed on these rats and mice for the past few months.

One thing that I couldn't get on camera was the hummingbird that kept buzzing the parents while they were watching over their little guy.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Great pics Annie!!! What a nice post to see this am!!!!! Isn't nature wonderful!!! :wink:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
WOW ANNIE...sure wish you'd come visit me!!!
i always see hummingbirds and sometimes the owls but NEVER have a camera handy.

That picture is awesome!!! nice way to start off my day :D

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Nice Pics! Owls are one of my favorite birds of prey. It's amazing that they fly so quietly you cannot hear their wings flapping!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The owls were not in the trees over our patio yesterday during the daytime but I saw evidence of them on the front walk. They usually feed at dusk and fly around at night. I can still hear them. So, yes they are still roosting in a huge pine tree in our neighbors yard (and probably 50 other birds as well).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts