Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just received our Beautiful new guy - MAX- into the family! Totally excited about him. He's 8 weeks old.

So, now, we want to get started on training him, properly! What should I do? First interest is house-breaking him. HOW????

Secondly, should we take him to a PetSmart type of facility for training or what? have no clue. Any suggestions???????

·
Registered
121 Posts
NICE!

I do not have personal experience, but I was HIGHLY recommended to stay away from places like Petsmart. We have an AWESOME trainer here in CO. Perhaps Maureen has a contact in VA still. I seem to recall a conversation to that effect once with her.

House breaking... use a word like outdoors, ring a bell (that he could reach) and then take him out. At that age, I would do it about every 15-30 minutes for a week or two. These guys learn fast and will get the hint.
Always let him out just after a feeding.

Crate training is the bomb. It works out well, and lets him have a happy space.

Im no expert, just went through it a few months ago...

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
hey, WELCOME to you and Max!!

Yes, we lived in the NoVA area for 15yrs I think....and we LOVED a trainer who had classes in the Gainesville area. "Dominion Dog Training" might have been the name....she was WORTH the drive! (If you live in the NoVA area, of course). Her training was done outside of Dr. Dove's vet clinic, if that helps you find her. Her name is/was Joy Martin.

I have no idea where, in VA you are.... wanna share more details about yourself? I have friends in the Tidewater/VA Beach area too....I'd be glad to try to network a little for you. :D

We tell all our puppy buyers or potential clients that we are STRONG believers in obedience training really helping your relationship with your pup. So best wishes!

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Dakota is doing puppy training at PetsMart. IF you take your Max there, the word of caution is keep him crated at all times when outside of the training arena. The arena is regularly cleaned and disinfected but that doesn't apply to the rest of the store . . . I didn't start Dakota's training until he was 14 weeks. There are a lot of really good online training guides that would allow you too initially begin training at home.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh Good! What wonderful information! Please keep'em coming. :lol:

Keith and Wannadoodle mentioned crate training. How did you get started?

Seazr, if you have a few 'favorites' bookmarked, would you share them with me?

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Here are a couple of training sites you may find helpful:
1. dogtraininghq.com
2. rpuppies.com (click on labradoodles>menu>care)
There are many, many sites, just search "puppy training tips".

For stages of puppy development, this is a pretty good site:
DogTrainingAdvice.com

I also purchased the "Dog Whisperer" DVD and I have ordered but not yet received "The Dog Listener" book.

Good luck and have fun!!

Diane

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.