Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first got Lucca she had ear mites and a yeast infection in her ears, round worm, and then later diagnosed with Giardia. At the time she was around 3 mths old. Now she is seven months old and she has giardia again!!!!! I can't believe it's back..and they said to give her the pills for 10 days and then bring back a stool sample and see if it is gone. They also said some giardia is resistant to certain medication. She is taking Metronidazole 2 times a day for 10 days. Her breeder is located in a rural area in Oregon near the border of Idaho--where I guess giardia is common...but, there is no way she got it from the water in our backyard in Portland, Oregon. So...I have no idea how she got it again...unless it was lying dormant in her body and just reappeared.

I have read several entries where other doodle had giardia..but did your dogs ever get it again? and if so ...HOW!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Does she have the opportunity to eat rabbit poo? It kind of sounds like she never got rid of it to me.....But I do know that wild rabbits are carriers and if she has a low resistance..... Let us know. :?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I believe giardia can stay in the ground for 3 mos or so. She is probably just recontaiminating herself, ask your vet about this.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I'm sorry you're dealing with this....did the symptoms reappear? Is that why the 2nd testing? Sorry this is happening for sure. And Di's note about the ground having it sounds like a serious source of the reappearance, if the symptoms are back.

I've also seen vets over-test, and charge for tests and meds that aren't needed, so that's why I asked about whether symptoms are present.

either way best wishes with this problem!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hello there, you've probably read all about our bellas troubles so I wont repeat too much

When Bella became ill again after the first lot of meds for giardia we suspected it had returned, after countless drugs and poo tests the hospital found it was coccidia (simular symptoms to Giardia) Ask the vet to test for this as it requires different drugs for treatment, the giardia drug will mearly mask the symptoms of coddidia, not cure it, hence you feel it's returning when they are ill again.

hope it helps

1 - 7 of 7 Posts